Beef AND mushroom bourgignon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vikki W

Assistant Cook
Hi
I am entertaining friends, one of whom is vegetarian. I thought I would make need bourgignon for the meat eaters and mushroom bourgignon for the veggie replacing the meat with potabello mushrooms. I would like to make both in advance and I know how to do this for the need but am unsure about the mushroom one as I have never made this before. Is it possible to prepare it and put it in the oven as well or make in advance and keep warm / heat up?
Thanks for any advice.
Vikki

Beef bourgignon is especially good if served the next day and I imagine that the mushroom one will be just so much better the next day. The flavors have a chance to mingle and mellow and that savory delicious gravy, is just so much better the second or third day. It's one of my favorite foods.

Beef bourgignon is especially good if served the next day and I imagine that the mushroom one will be just so much better the next day. The flavors have a chance to mingle and mellow and that savory delicious gravy, is just so much better the second or third day. It's one of my favorite foods.
One of my Sunday faves also..now that it is getting colder I will have to have some soon.

Just curious, what will you be cooking the mushroom one in? If you don't use beef stock what will you use?

One of my Sunday faves also..now that it is getting colder I will have to have some soon.

Just curious, what will you be cooking the mushroom one in? If you don't use beef stock what will you use?

Such a curiously good question. I wonder what the OP will use for that recipe? A caramelized onion base, with or without white or red wine, with worcestershire, some tomato paste? A mushroom soup base from cooked slightly browned mushrooms with lemon and garlic, with or without red or white wine, with worcestershire, some tomato paste? MMMMM Whether it is served alone, over egg noodles, or over potatoes, I'd have some!

Such a curiously good question. I wonder what the OP will use for that recipe? A caramelized onion base, with or without white or red wine, with worcestershire, some tomato paste? A mushroom soup base from cooked slightly browned mushrooms with lemon and garlic, with or without red or white wine, with worcestershire, some tomato paste? MMMMM Whether it is served alone, over egg noodles, or over potatoes, I'd have some!

If it was me, I use a mushroom based veggie stock.

Just a thought: I would start with the liquid from rehydrated dried shiitakes, then build a veggie stock with it.

I am planning to use vegetable stock instead of beef stock

Ha Ha! You're making me hungry! I was planning on using almost exactly the same recipe as for the beef but just swapping out the beef for mushrooms and beef stock for veg stock....so still keeping in red wine, tomato paste etc

If you really want an intense mushroom flavor, grind up some dried porcini (cepes) and add to your dish.

Can't use that in vegetarian recipes, it has anchovies in it.

Can't use that in vegetarian recipes, it has anchovies in it.
Oh yeah, you are right. I forgot that. You can tell I'm not a vegetarian and not well thought out when it comes to making vegetarian dishes. :ohmy:

I wonder if they made vegetarian, vegan and regular Soylent Green.:ermm::angel:

Back
Top Bottom