Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Soups (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Your favorite soup for winter? (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/your-favorite-soup-for-winter-99122.html)

jd_1138 11-22-2017 01:01 AM

Your favorite soup for winter?

I LOVE soup, but unfortunately the wife is not a real soup eater. So we never have it, unless I put together a soup in the crockpot before leaving for work. I have to be sneaky. It's a rare treat.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/3f7...up-kitchen.jpg

Here's Friar Bernard 'Solanus' Casey (beard) serving up soup to the poor during the Great Depression. Not shown is a table next to it with a bunch of rolls of crusty bread. I just read in my news feed today that he's about to be beatified through the church for his lifetime of serving the poor.

Soup is the perfect meal -- hearty, satisfying, frugal. I usually just make a veggie beef soup with everything but the kitchen sink in it. What's your favorite soup?

PrincessFiona60 11-22-2017 01:10 AM

Hard to say, I just love soup. Make many kinds and don't think I have a favorite.

Whiskadoodle 11-22-2017 02:46 AM

Oh, most definitely veggie beef soup with Gramma's egg dumplings. Followed closely by (in no order) split pease, clam chowder, and if no clams, cream of potato of course with bacon, Dx's homemade chix noodle, and CHILI.

I give myself mixed messages regarding pureed soups. I don't care too much for their consistency, reminds me of baby food. Crackers, Lots of crackers. On the other hand, I like the flavors of cream of broccoli, broccoli cheese, curried butternut squash, Wisconsin beer cheese and more.

I only serve soup as a main course, not as a starter.

larry_stewart 11-22-2017 03:57 AM

My wife also isn't a soup fan, yet me and my daughter are.
I've been known to order soup for dessert wen we go out to eat. Both my wife and the waiter/ waitress often look at me as if Im crazy when i do it, but I dont care ( and my wife has gotten used to it already)

Favorite winter soups:
Split Pea
Mushroom Barley
My grandmothers vegetable soup ( yellow split pea base)
My vegetable soup ( red tomato base)

Although I make soup year round, the above are the ones I am more likely going to make in the colder months.

Aunt Bea 11-22-2017 04:19 AM

I didn't really appreciate soup, as a meal, when I was young but now it is a regular feature in my life!

In the winter I make vegetable beast with barley, when I can get a good deal on beef shanks.

I also enjoy making, Senate Bean Soup, Split Pea, Zuppa Toscana, Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Tomato and Stone Soup or Fridge Soup.

Even a can of Campbell's! :ermm::ohmy::lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtOyymOJ5tk

PrincessFiona60 11-22-2017 04:38 AM

Okay, split pea soup or bean soup with large chunks of ham and lots of ham stock.

CraigC 11-22-2017 04:55 AM

Since we really don't have winter here, soup is an all year thing. Homemade French onion probably tops the list.

larry_stewart 11-22-2017 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigC (Post 1532423)
Since we really don't have winter here, soup is an all year thing. Homemade French onion probably tops the list.

Forgot about the French Onion Soup ( Thanks for the reminder :wink: )
And I also forgot Corn Chowder. Just made it the other day.
Oh yeah, and theres a potato/ barley soup I make too ( similar to an old Ratner's recipe)

When I was a kid ( and not a vegetarian), I remember my dad making Clam chowder (Manhattan) on a cold Sunday morning. He'd get it going about 8am, and have it ready for lunchtime.

Kayelle 11-22-2017 05:31 AM

My very favorite soup is Zuppa Toscana, but a close second is Split Pea with ham. Chicken noodle is near the top of the list too. I also love pork soups but as much as I enjoy eating beef, it just doesn't do it for me in a soup. I really like French Onion soup, Potato soup, broccoli cheese soup, but a mixed veggie soup just isn't my thing.

Steve Kroll 11-22-2017 07:43 AM

Chili is definitely my favorite soup, and during the winter I've been known to make it as often as once every couple of weeks. It seems to warm you up from the inside out.

In fact, I'm taking a pot of chicken chili to the office today for my coworkers.

https://i.imgur.com/OQWsSm9.jpg

PrincessFiona60 11-22-2017 07:51 AM

I see mine....

GotGarlic 11-22-2017 08:21 AM

If stew counts, my favorite is pork posole verde :yum: I also enjoy French onion, Italian wedding and loaded potato soups and clam chowder. Oh, and German sausage and potato soup.

Andy M. 11-22-2017 09:25 AM

Where to start! I can't say have one favorite. But some I really love are:

Mom's Chicken Broth with Egg and Lemon
French Onion
Tom Yum Oong
Beef Barley
Chinese Hot and Sour
Cream of Mushroom (homemade)
Black Bean

roadfix 11-22-2017 12:27 PM

Split pea, menudo, and posole are my faves....

caseydog 11-22-2017 12:30 PM

Chicken and sausage gumbo. I only make it in the winter, and only on a cold day.

CD

JustJoel 11-22-2017 01:29 PM

In the winter, I love to make a batch of squash soup, usually butternut. I roast the butternut along with an onion, a carrot, and a red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, then simmer them in chicken broth and white wine until theyíre mush. Then I blend it all up with my immersion blender, push it through a strainer, and finish it with cream and butter (and some extra broth if itís too thick). Oh, did I mention nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon? And salt, of course. A bit work-intensive, but worth every minute!

If I need some soup in a hurry and donít have any on hand, though, Chinese egg drop soup is my go-to. Quick, easy, cheap, and it has protein. The cornstarch seems to make the warmth of the soup adhere to my soul!

JustJoel 11-22-2017 02:26 PM

Do Indian curries count as soup, or are they more of topping or dip? If they count as soup, I vote for butter chicken, chicken tikka masala, or malai kofta. Warm flavors, creamy, and satisfying!

Also, red lentil soup, North African style.

CharlieD 11-22-2017 02:31 PM

As a kid I only ate plain chicken broth. Not even soup. Now, any soup, the thicker the better.

CraigC 11-22-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieD (Post 1532449)
As a kid I only ate plain chicken broth. Not even soup. Now, any soup, the thicker the better.

Have you read/heard the story of "Stone Soup"?

CraigC 11-22-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustJoel (Post 1532448)
Do Indian curries count as soup, or are they more of topping or dip? If they count as soup, I vote for butter chicken, chicken tikka masala, or malai kofta. Warm flavors, creamy, and satisfying!

Also, red lentil soup, North African style.

I prefer Thai curries.:wink:

jd_1138 11-22-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigC (Post 1532450)
Have you read/heard the story of "Stone Soup"?

What is it? I bet they served it in the Victorian era workhouses. They'd serve a beef broth for lunch made by boiling meat in water. And hardly anyone got a chunk of meat.

Then the cooks would toss in a turnip or an onion in the huge pot, and that would end up being the "soup" for their next meal. Very meager. Those poor souls.

Uncle Bob 11-22-2017 03:34 PM

Smoked Duck & Andouille Gumbo...Oysters in at the last minute.

GotGarlic 11-22-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_1138 (Post 1532454)
What is it? I bet they served it in the Victorian era workhouses. They'd serve a beef broth for lunch made by boiling meat in water. And hardly anyone got a chunk of meat.

Then the cooks would toss in a turnip or an onion in the huge pot, and that would end up being the "soup" for their next meal. Very meager. Those poor souls.

I'm surprised you haven't heard about this before. It's an old fable.

https://www.michaelppowers.com/prosperity/stonesoup.html

Here's another version.
https://emmblu.wordpress.com/bookwor...he-stone-soup/

buckytom 11-22-2017 03:53 PM

Clam Chowder, both Manhattan and New England styles

Split Pea, both green and yellow (Quebecois) styles

My mom's Vegetable Beef soup

My mil's Chicken Parsley soup

Two Potato soup

Borscht, both red and white

French Onion soup

Escarole soup with shaved parm

Wild mushroom and African Carrot soups that are served at the Pine Hill Arms in Pine Hill, NY

Roast Pork Yat Gaw Mein soup

PrincessFiona60 11-22-2017 07:59 PM

Chicken Tortilla Soup with avocado and sour cream.

JustJoel 11-22-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigC (Post 1532451)
I prefer Thai curries.:wink:

I love those too, but somehow they seem to be more of a summer soup for me :).

Cheryl J 11-22-2017 10:30 PM

Mmmm....I love soups, especially with a good, crusty bread. :yum: Several of my faves have already been mentioned.

Split pea, Zuppa Toscana, cream of broccoli, cream of potato, clam chowder, minestrone, navy bean and ham....for starters. :chef:

JustJoel 11-23-2017 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_1138 (Post 1532454)

“Please sir, may I have some more?”

rodentraiser 11-24-2017 09:27 PM

Potato soup, but I like to add bacon and cheese to mine, along with some parsley, sour cream, onion, and garlic.

ricelover 11-26-2017 10:52 PM

albondigas soup, which is a savory Mexican vegetable soup with meatballs, served with warm tortillas and/or a scoop of rice
tortilla soup
potato leek soup

Addie 11-27-2017 12:25 AM

New England Clam or seafood chowder
Beef barley soup
Chicken and dumplings

GA Home Cook 11-27-2017 12:55 PM

Big list but my favs are:
Egg Drop
hot and sour
beef stew
Chicken and dumplings
Potato
Corn chowder
Crab and corn chowder
any kind of gumbo
clam chowder

Breath....

I do love soup

Kayelle 11-27-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

I LOVE soup, but unfortunately the wife is not a real soup eater. .

Soup is the perfect meal -- hearty, satisfying, frugal. I usually just make a veggie beef soup with everything but the kitchen sink in it. What's your favorite soup?
It sounds like your wife just doesn't like your crockpot veggie beef soup. It's probably the only soup I don't like either. For one thing, I think a soup needs to be "tended" and not set and forget it in a crockpot. As a gentle suggestion, you might want to try the top of the stove to make the excellent soup choices here. :chef:

Janet H 11-27-2017 07:54 PM

Another soup lover here. My favorite is a shiitake barley soup with a dill, lemon juice and sour cream garnish that my DH makes occasionally. The addition of some garlic bread, a small green salad and a slab of chocolate cake might be the answer to world-peace.

buckytom 11-27-2017 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet H (Post 1532832)
Another soup lover here. My favorite is a shiitake barley soup with a dill, lemon juice and sour cream garnish that my DH makes occasionally. The addition of some garlic bread, a small green salad and a slab of chocolate cake might be the answer to world-peace.

Recipe, please? Or pass it here.
I can't wrap my mind around shiitakes, barley, dill, lemon, and sour cream, salad, and chocolate.

Janet H 11-28-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckytom (Post 1532852)
Recipe, please? Or pass it here.
I can't wrap my mind around shiitakes, barley, dill, lemon, and sour cream, salad, and chocolate.

The chocolate comes after....

Mushroom Barley Soup

2 onions
3-4 garlic cloves
1T olive oil
6 cups of mushroom broth - recipe below
2 large potatoes
2 carrots
2 bay leaves
1 t salt
pepper
1/2 C barley
2 T butter
3/4 lb white mushrooms sliced
1/4 lb fresh shiitakes stemmed and sliced
2-3 t lemon juice
1 T snipped dill

sour cream and more dill for garnish

Saute onions and garlic in oil until soft. Add mushroom broth, potatoes, carrots, bay, barley and s/p to taste. Simmer covered for 1 hour.
Saute mushroom in butter for about 5 minutes until they begin to give off liquid and then add to soup along with any pan juices. simmer for 10 minutes more.

Just before serving add lemon juice and dill. Reseason with s/p as needed. Serve with a dab of sour cream in center of bowl and top with more snipped dill.

Mushroom broth:
2 oz mixed dried mushrooms - hubby uses about 1/3 Shiitakes
12 C water
1 onion
2 garlic clovesd
1 lb fresh chopped mushrooms
1 T olive oil
3/4 t peppercorns
1/2 t salt

Soak dried mushrooms in 2 C water. Sizzle up fresh veggies in oil until soft. add seasoning and soaked mushrooms w/ liquid and all the rest of the water, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Strain.

Vinylhanger 11-28-2017 03:31 PM

Uhg. I despise soup. Unless it has the consistency of chili, as my OCD won't let me eat with a spoon. My family loves it.

I do love french onion soup as a dip though and will drink it from the bowl.

taxlady 11-28-2017 04:33 PM

We love loads of kinds of soups. Here are some of the ones that we usually only eat in winter:
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ml#post1318848
leek and potato soup
variations on Andy's sausage soup
French Canadian pea soup

Cheryl J 11-28-2017 05:11 PM

I went back and looked at your Roasted Root Veggie Bisque, Taxi. I put that one in my faves, also. Sounds delish, and thanks for reposting it! :yum:

Cooking Goddess 11-28-2017 05:40 PM

I suppose my favorite soup is whichever one I'm eating. :yum: However, to be more specific, these tend to be the soups I make most often during colder weather:

Mom's Ham and Bean Soup

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Ribollita (a great way to use up stale bread)

Smoky Black Bean and Ham Bone Soup

Chickpea and Romaine Soup with Golden Vermicelli (very warming, and a good way to use up tired greens - I've also used spinach or chard in place of romaine)

Lipton Cream of Broccoli Soup (definitely old-school with convenience ingredients, but easy comfort food - especially if you need to use up milk)

Escarole, Sausage, and White Bean Soup (lots of recipes online, all pretty similar, and I don't have a favorite)