What is the best Hot Dog you ever had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
This was a difficult category to ascribe to hot dogs - you don't seem to have a category about 'street food'.

I'm eager to read your experiences about them, the best 'Dog' you've ever had and other information! Here street food is very popular now - you frequently see a set-up selling things like 'farinata', a snack made from chick pea flour and I've often seen hawkers, as we call them here, offering every type of snack you could think of. I've often seen a hot dog vendor on the streets where we live, and they're getting more and more popular with young people - but it's not been that good. The ones I tasted in the U.S.A. were in a different league!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

One or two after a day of doing something fun with family and/or friends, and more than ready for something to eat. Freshly steamed dog and bun, with relish and mustard, and a soda. Or the same activities and a well fried corn dog slathered in mustard.

Hofmann's Franks and Snappys are the best in my area. The Franks are traditional hotdogs and the Snappys are a white hotdog made with pork and veal.

23517694_1478423102237143_4769842118446832886_n.jpg

There's a hot dog vendor at the Minnesota State Fair I like quite a bit. I couldn't tell you the name if you held a gun to my head, but it's in the exact same location year after year, and close to the gate where I enter the fairgrounds. When I head to the fair, one of the first things I do is stop there and have a footlong with brown mustard, onions, and sauerkraut. :yum:

Tunnbrödsrulle when drunk is always the most heavenly food you can have, 1 or two sausages with potato mash, ketchup and mustard wrapped with flat bread and topped with shrimp salad.. heaven.

This was a difficult category to ascribe to hot dogs - you don't seem to have a category about 'street food'.

I'm eager to read your experiences about them, the best 'Dog' you've ever had and other information! Here street food is very popular now - you frequently see a set-up selling things like 'farinata', a snack made from chick pea flour and I've often seen hawkers, as we call them here, offering every type of snack you could think of. I've often seen a hot dog vendor on the streets where we live, and they're getting more and more popular with young people - but it's not been that good. The ones I tasted in the U.S.A. were in a different league!

Hot dogs would go under Charcuterie & Sausage Making, since they are a type of sausage. It's not necessarily street food, although it can be.

I like hot dogs, although I can't really think of a "best" one. I like them grilled or broiled - they have to have crispy edges :yum: - and I like them with yellow mustard and ketchup. That's it, nothing fancy.

Best vegetarian hot dog ( by far IMO, and trust me, I've tasted every on I could get my hands on) are the Worthington Leanis.

Im not saying they're great, but considering my options ( or lack of), definitely a good substitute.

Now all that being said, my favorite ways to eat them

1) With Sauerkraut and brown mustard

2) With sautéed , spicy onions
- Slice up onions, sautee until slightly brown ,add a some garlic ( fry another minute or so) then a little ketchup, some hot sauce S&P to taste, on possibly a dash of vinegar, if the ketchup doesnt tang it up enough.

3) With Chili ( vegetarian, of course)

4) Hot Dog Goulash ( as my grandmother called it
- Chopped onions, potatoes, Smoked Paprika,water to cover, S&P, Hot dogs cut up in about 1 inch pieces. ***Cook til potatoes are soft and just break down a little ( enough to thicken the broth). With veggie hot dogs, add last 5 minutes or so ( they may break down or absorb too much liquid if cooked the whole time). Regular hot dogs could take the full cooking time ( I assume). If too watery, I usually just add a Tbs or 2 of the powdered potatoes used for mashed potatoes. *** This recipe probably would fall under cheap recipe my grandmother made for the family).

5) With shredded cabbage on top ( and brown mustard)
- Finely shredded cabbage mixed with a little salt and vinegar. Mix and eat right away, dont let it wilt. Has a sauerkraut taste with a lot more crunch. More of a texture thing than a taste thing.

***Veggie hot dogs work best when boiled, dry out too much when grilling or baking. If I want to grill them ( same with veggie burgers) Ill cook them first inside, then tossed on grill last minute or two just to get marks and a little grill flavor. Sometimes I ll brush with diluted liquid smoke***

Attachments

• Leanies.jpg
    Leanies.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
My favorite was at the now closed Boyd's Burgermaster on 10th Ave South in Great Falls, Montana. It was the first actual drive through I ever saw, long before McD's offered anything but a walk up window.

It was a regular stop when we were out cruising Central Ave in the 60's. They sold a foot long dog with just onions and their own sauce. The onions were thin sliced then separated, not chopped, and the sauce was at least partly with both mustard and ketchup, but there was something more to it as well.

They also had a pizza burger and their signature mushroom sauced Rampburger - all were pretty special when compared to the current crop of cookie cutter franchises. I last ate there when visiting in 2004 - they closed around 2010.

Last edited:
The best hot dogs in the world are at Ted's Charcoal Hots in the Buffalo, NY area.

I like mine with Webber's horseradish mustard and Ted's hot dog sauce.

webers_horseradishmustard_16oz.jpg

The best make at home hot dogs come from Omaha Steaks, They are 3 ounce deli size dogs made with beef and pork, with not too much seasoning. I even keep Webber's mustard and Ted's hot dog sauce in my refrigerator to use on home made hot dogs.

bg034.jpg

Hebrew National hot dogs have so much flavoring added, I am pretty sure they are hiding something. I don't want to taste spices, I want to taste beef and pork!

IMO, the best hot dog is the one I'm eating at a baseball game. ⚾ Topped with Bertman's brown mustard, with my team winning? A little bit of heaven...

You beat me to it. Rutt's Hut is awesome! You can't beat a deep fried dog.

They have 3 styles: the In and Out (self explanatory), the Ripper (deep fried until the skin rips), and the Cremator (deep fried until burnt).

Another great local hot dog is from The Hot Grill: https://www.thehotgrill.org/

Their specialty is called "one all the way". It's a griddled hot dog topped with mustard, onion, and a Texas Wiener sauce (a thin, meat-only chili sauce).

Wish I had taken a picture of our dinner last night.

We each had a large toasted fresh Bolillo roll (think Mexican hot dog bun on steroids) containing two browned and beer simmered Johnson Brats, topped with brown mustard and kraut. Now that's a hot dog worth eating!! :yum: *burp*...scuze me. ;)

Bea, I sure wish we could get those white Snappy dogs..I know I'd like them!!

Now when I used to eat meat ( 100 years ago) I loved the crappy hot dogs you got at the ball park ( Shea Stadium to be precise). MY mom always went for the better quality at home ( hebrew national), but i preferred the ball park franks by far.

Hebrew National hot dogs have so much flavoring added, I am pretty sure they are hiding something. I don't want to taste spices, I want to taste beef and pork!

It's doubtful that you will get much pork flavor in a Hebrew National hot dog. :rolleyes:

Like so many other foods, we all have our favorite kind of hot dog, and have trouble understanding why others might prefer something a bit different. There are so many regional styles, preparations, and condiments that only one thing is certain, and that is that it's rare that any random two hot dog eaters will agree 100%.

Although it's mostly not the popular way to go these days, but I much prefer a pork hot dog (mostly pork, but can have some poultry added). The beef ones just don't seem to do it for me, and I can't really see anything particularly healthy about a beef hot dog over a pork/poultry blend.

Prefer hot dogs to be grilled outside, sometimes a polish dog. Condiments - yellow or brown mustard, ketchup, raw chopped onion and sweet relish.

Back
Top Bottom