Curry going wrong.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seanyb1512

Assistant Cook
Hi.

After some help. I love cooking curries and me and my partner are following slimming world, so I like to try and keep them Syn Free. Recently I’ve been having an issue when adding yogurt, and it’s splitting in the sauce. I used to add cream too and that never used to happen. Is that where I’m going wrong?

Cheers for any advice or help.

Sean.

Well there is many types of curries, not all ask for dairy. But when it comes to yogurts, check yours is all natural and add it just right before serving.

I do not know what Syn Free is but I know a really good madras recipe, full with veggies and no dairy.

It’s natural yogurt and it’s 0%. Seems to happen every time recently. Syn Free is basically in line with slimming world.

I’d love the recipe If you’re happy to share.

Is that 0% fat?
If it is 0% fat in a yogurt, then it most often contains thickeners which means it cant be used it hot food.

And it is the fat you need in the curry.

Last edited:
The lack of fat in the yogurt is what causes it to break.

In Indian cooking, some cooks will add stabilizers to help bind the gravy. This could be chickpea flour, cornstarch, or even flour. I use a little xanthan gum myself. Whisk the stabilizer into the yogurt before adding it to your curry.

It's also best if you can add the yogurt just before serving. The longer it cooks in the the gravy, the more likely it is to break.

Many thanks. Will have a go at adding the xanthan gum. Using that will be better than going back to the full fat yogurt. I never considered the change making a difference.

Thanks again.

I used ground almonds to thicken currys . What type of curry are you making? Korma or Butter chicken?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom