Dutch oven breads, aka no-knead breads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
My latest sub-obsession is Dutch oven breads. I made one yesterday and it came out spectacularly. By accident. The recipe I followed called for 84% hydration. I realize more hydration is necessary to create the steam that creates that lovely crust, but it seemed a bit excessive. I followed the recipe, however (except I changed out the fruit and nuts), and found I had to add a lot more fluid to make the dough even semi-workable.

I checked out several other recipes on the web. Most of them call for 50% hydration, which seems a bit dry. And another recipe I found called for a whopping 94% hydration! Cook’s Country says that 68% hydration is maximal. I downloaded a couple of books on Dutch oven cooking, but they’re very camp-centric, and deal more with the number of charcoals to put on top of the Dutch oven’s lid. (Camping, to me, is having to stay at a Holiday Inn Express and not the J.W. Marriott).

Here’s my bread. Even if it was a fluke, I’m very proud of it!

07A16E8D-F8F1-4F86-BAD8-6C124BA0F5C1.jpg

This is the book by the originator of no knead bread:

https://www.amazon.com/My-Bread-Revolutionary-No-Work-No-Knead/dp/0393066304/

Our local library has it.

Lahey's basic bread calls for 75% hydration, which is what I use.
I just my copy in yesterday’s mail. I really like it, as I go through the different recipes, I notice that hydration fluctuates with different kinds of bread. The basic is 75%, but some are at 87.5%, and a few are at 100%! Mr. Lahey doesn’t give any reason for the fluctuations, nor does he ever say, in a general way, which categories of bread, or which ingredients require a higher hydration. As a textbook, it falls short, although the first chapters have a lot of great information, and the recipes are top-notch. Thanks for the suggestion!

On another site, a Dutch company was asking for input about a new bread baking Dutch oven they are producing. They asked about functionality. I told them to send me one and I'd evaluate it for them. No reply and no oven. Imagine that!:rolleyes:

It’s been so long!

I haven’t baked bread in ages, it seems! But I’ve been enjoying my little open face sandwiches for brunch so much, that I figured they deserved a quality, homemade bread.

So I got out my Dutch oven and made a no-knead loaf. I actually had to look at a recipe to remind myself how! To the four basic ingredients, I added a little dried rosemary, thyme, and onion powder, and a couple tablespoons of EVOO.

I’m very pleased with the results!

49A2ECD6-19A8-4B50-B647-A9E0AA7CECE4.jpg

77462EFF-B0A7-4F4C-B402-E433364ECC59.jpg

And my open-face brunch sandwich; a thin layer of cream cheese, a tapenade of olives, onion, garlic and herbs, a jammy egg roughly chopped and sprinkled with sea salt and smoked paprika, and my lovely Italian tuna. So good! (I couldn’t get the pic in focus, for some reason...)

47428349-85CB-4857-A80C-C88306B5732F.jpg

Good Job!!
Looks like a professional loaf, nice crust ...

I did a no kneed dutch oven bread about a year ago. It came out nice ( but I think your's looks better).

I haven’t baked bread in ages, it seems! But I’ve been enjoying my little open face sandwiches for brunch so much, that I figured they deserved a quality, homemade bread.

So I got out my Dutch oven and made a no-knead loaf. I actually had to look at a recipe to remind myself how! To the four basic ingredients, I added a little dried rosemary, thyme, and onion powder, and a couple tablespoons of EVOO.

I’m very pleased with the results!

View attachment 32657

View attachment 32658

And my open-face brunch sandwich; a thin layer of cream cheese, a tapenade of olives, onion, garlic and herbs, a jammy egg roughly chopped and sprinkled with sea salt and smoked paprika, and my lovely Italian tuna. So good! (I couldn’t get the pic in focus, for some reason...)

View attachment 32659

I tried to take a big bite, but the computer screen go in the way. WOW! A beautiful loaf!

Great bread, Joel! I used to make a lot of Dutch oven breads, even before Lahey came up with the no-knead method, though that does make it easier. I like the method of lining a bowl almost identical to the size of the Dutch oven with parchment, and rise the dough in that, and heat the Dutch oven and lid in a 500° oven. Then, the parchment sling is transferred to the heated Dutch oven, then baked.

Great bread, Joel! I used to make a lot of Dutch oven breads, even before Lahey came up with the no-knead method, though that does make it easier. I like the method of lining a bowl almost identical to the size of the Dutch oven with parchment, and rise the dough in that, and heat the Dutch oven and lid in a 500° oven. Then, the parchment sling is transferred to the heated Dutch oven, then baked.
Thank you! Despite its no-knead designation, I like to turn the dough a few times on a floured board then let it rest for thirty minutes before baking it. I’ll have to try your method next time!

The full size loaf of Dutch oven bread is too big for the two of us. I picked up two 3 qt. CI Dutch ovens at Kohl's Black Friday sale, which I think were $15 each (obviously not Le Creuset or Staub!). I make two half size loaves, with one going in the freezer. After thawing I put it in the toaster oven for 5 minutes at 300 F to firm up the crust.

I love making no-knead bread - so quick and easy and delicious. I use the method from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day." You mix up enough dough for four loaves at a time and then bake them as you need to. The dough can be refrigerated for up to two weeks; the longer it ferments, the more flavor it develops. I've used it to make boules, baguette shapes, rolls and fougasse.

https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2013...tes-a-day-is-launched-back-to-basics-updated/

Joel, a tip on buying books: I always look for a used copy on Amazon. Usually you can find one that's as good as new for just a couple of dollars plus about $4 in shipping. I've even gotten books for a penny plus shipping.

The full size loaf of Dutch oven bread is too big for the two of us. I picked up two 3 qt. CI Dutch ovens at Kohl's Black Friday sale, which I think were $15 each (obviously not Le Creuset or Staub!). I make two half size loaves, with one going in the freezer. After thawing I put it in the toaster oven for 5 minutes at 300 F to firm up the crust.

I am so glad you posted this... Perfect size for my needs.. Do you have half size bread recipes to share?

Joel... Great looking bread.. I'm not a bread maker and you are inspiring me to try again.. :)

Ross

I am so glad you posted this... Perfect size for my needs.. Do you have half size bread recipes to share?

Joel... Great looking bread.. I'm not a bread maker and you are inspiring me to try again.. :)

Ross
That’s the great thing about no-knead Dutch oven bread! It’s foolproof (not that you’re a fool).

I just take half of the amounts called for in the recipes, so it's 1-1/2 cups (200 g) flour instead of 3 cups, etc. I use weights instead of volume. I knock about 5 minutes off the covered cooking time, but keep the uncovered cooking time the same.

Back
Top Bottom