Best use of a cast iron skillet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I have made a number of pineapple upside down cakes, but I have yet to find one that tasted better than one made in a cast iron skillet. Do any of you have dishes that you think taste better when made in a skillet?

Really thick, bone-in steaks.

The density if the metal helps to transfer heat so the meat by the bone isn't raw when the rest is cooked.

Also, smaller pans are good if your mom intends to give you a spanking...

Really thick, bone-in steaks.

The density if the metal helps to transfer heat so the meat by the bone isn't raw when the rest is cooked.

Also, smaller pans are good if your mom intends to give you a spanking...
yes but if you are cooking, you need the biggest, heaviest sucker you can find!

Cherry banana bread,
XrDL1zv.jpg

xXGdv7Z.jpg

Apple pie:)
H3bn4i0.jpg

Also roasted broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower.
If you can think it, try it. It would be hard to find something that doesn’t taste great out of cast iron.

love my Lodge 12" and 10" skillets for pan seared rib eyes, n/y strips, corn bread. Also invaluable for country fried steak.

Taste of Home, Cast Iron Cookbook

Just picked up this magazine at the grocers. Quick perusal only and ... $15.00 Cdn... yikes! (but still bought it.. :blush: )

Appetizers, Stovetop Main Dishes, Baked Main dishes, Savory Breakfasts, Side dishes, Breads then flip over the magazine and you have Dessert dishes.
Spposedly 118 recipes (no I didn't count them)

They also list the pros and cons of two types, the traditional Cast Iron and the Enameled Cast Iron.

so far I'm happy with it - needs more checking out but I'm sure there are a couple of recipes I will love.

My biggest thing about Cast Iron, I can pop them straight into a very hot oven without a thought. I really like to finish a dish off that way, brown on stovetop and finish in oven.

I have several pans that are oven safe and several that are not. As I start a recipe I think carefully on which I will use.

Early on I did ruin one pan I was fond of, I have since learned that "most" non-metal handles are good to 350 F, usually not higher.

Also be careful with the lid's knob if they are not the same material. Yep, found that one out the hard way too!

My biggest thing about Cast Iron, I can pop them straight into a very hot oven without a thought. I really like to finish a dish off that way, brown on stovetop and finish in oven.

I have several pans that are oven safe and several that are not. As I start a recipe I think carefully on which I will use.

Early on I did ruin one pan I was fond of, I have since learned that "most" non-metal handles are good to 350 F, usually not higher.

Also be careful with the lid's knob if they are not the same material. Yep, found that one out the hard way too!

While I don't have a CI fry pan, I also don't have any that can't be put in the oven. All of my skillets have riveted metal handles.

Oops, sorry, I changed the gist of my reply in the middle.

I was referring to non-cast-iron pans when I was talking about oven-safe.

My bad...

I once stuck a crepe pan in the oven without thinking. The hardwood handle received some surface burn marks which ended up enhancing the grain marks on the wood. Gave the handle a very nice vintage character.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom