Binging with Babish: Foods from TV and Movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
Last edited:
emoticons_applause.gif

Casey....have you ever seen "The Hundred Foot Journey" with Helen Mirren? It's a wonderful film! This scene is one of my fave movie cooking scenes ever...

The young cook from India wanted to show his cooking skills to the skeptical owner of the Michelin star French restaurant across the street, but his hand injuries prevented him from cooking on his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UREtFELCv1Y

The Hundred-Foot Journey (2014) - IMDb

...the family of talented cook, Hassan Kadam, has a life filled with both culinary delights and profound loss. Drifting through Europe after fleeing political violence in India that killed the family restaurant business and their mother, the Kadams arrive in France. Once there, a chance auto accident and the kindness of a young woman, Marguerite, in the village of Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val inspires Papa Kadam to set up a Indian restaurant there. Unfortunately, this puts the Kadams in direct competition with the snobbish Madame Mallory's acclaimed haute cuisine establishment across the street where Marguerite also works as a sous-chef. The resulting rivalry eventually escalates in personal intensity until it goes too far......

Last edited:
Cinnamon in Babka? No way. Cheese, yes, or raisins, but no cinnamon in Eastern European babka.

I've had many of the Soup Nazi's soups since the shop was just a few blocks from my building. I used to skate (inline road skates) over for lunch. Actually, the first time I skated over, I had to wait in a long line on the broken pavement of the sidewalk in front of the walk up window. (It was just a service window on the street, not a walk-in as depicted on the show)
When I thought it was my turn as the real soup nazi looked up at me, I loudly proclaimed my order over the noise of traffic. The Soup Nazi said something back that I couldn't hear, so I loudly repeated my order.
He glared at me, then shouted "I said to wait!"
Everyone on the line laughed. I apparently got the full soup nazi experience.

Anyway, all of his soups were good, including the chowders, Mulligatawny, and veggie.

But I've had better, and can make better. My split pea with ham blows his away, and the chef in the Pine Hill Arms in upstate NY makes a way better wild mushroom soup, as well as a fantastic African carrot soup.

Now, where can I find a Schnitzers rye?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom