Leeks’ leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I’ve recently become enamoured of leeks. Seriously, I never knew why they existed. But their gentle onion flavor and sweetness, are wonderful in milder soups and sliced thin, make a great addition to salads.

But what about the tough dry leaves at the top of the stalk? Is there any use for them, save basket weaving?

I’ve recently become enamoured of leeks. Seriously, I never knew why they existed. But their gentle onion flavor and sweetness, are wonderful in milder soups and sliced thin, make a great addition to salads.

But what about the tough dry leaves at the top of the stalk? Is there any use for them, save basket weaving?

I use the dark green leek leaves/tops and parsley stems when I make my chicken stock/broth. They give and nice delicate flavor.

Leek salad.

Therely (darn how do you spell that?) wash the leeks, there is often dirt in the middle. "Thoroughly" !
Slice in the middle long way before washing
Now slice pieces about 3/8 wide cross cut.
Saute in light olive oil until soft, add a lot of crushed garlic, or as much as you like.
Mix well and turn off the frying pan.
Transfer to a bowl. Add Soy sauce to your liking, mix well, serve.

Last edited:
Thank you. Been trying to figure out for like 15 minutes spelling all kind of ways, but Google was too stupid to figure out. I knew I was doing it wrong, just did not know what would be right. ;)

They make great fish bait! When the fish comes up to take a leek, knock em in the head with a billy club.:angel:

They make great fish bait! When the fish comes up to take a leek, knock em in the head with a billy club.:angel:
Haha, this is the version I learned (Y’all are probably too young,)

How do you catch a polar bear?
Make a hole in the ice and surround it with peas. When the bear comes to take a pea, kick him in the ice hole.

LOL! I use those jokes all the time at work...but then I work with the elderly...running away giggling madly....

Back
Top Bottom