Burners Too Big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PianoAl

Cook
Our new range has very big burners. Here's one in action with my largest saucepan:

9cdBVkg.jpg

It seems that the flames are really just heating up the outer edges of the pot. Is that reasonable,or should I use the smaller burners in the back?

Thanks.

That burner and pot combo looks about right.

In general, the tips of the burner flame should not extend beyond the bottom of the pot.

Are all your burners the same size?

Personally, I'd put that pan on a smaller burner if you have one. Sometimes I'll put a pot of rice in a pan that size on a big burner to bring it to the boil, and transfer it to my small simmer burner to finish.

Personally, I'd put that pan on a smaller burner if you have one. Sometimes I'll put a pot of rice in a pan that size on a big burner to bring it to the boil, and transfer it to my small simmer burner to finish.
+1
I also do that. I bring things to a boil on Power Boil burner then move to another burner to simmer on low.

+1
I also do that. I bring things to a boil on Power Boil burner then move to another burner to simmer on low.

My burner with the Power Boil setting still simmers quite well too. Unless I need it for something else, I'll leave the pan right there. But I do often just get it boiling, then shift to the burner next door so I can put a fry pan on the big one. My 12" and 14" frying pans cook well on the larger burner.

My burner with the Power Boil setting still simmers quite well too. Unless I need it for something else, I'll leave the pan right there. But I do often just get it boiling, then shift to the burner next door so I can put a fry pan on the big one. My 12" and 14" frying pans cook well on the larger burner.
+1 That's exactly what I do.

That burner and pot combo looks about right.

In general, the tips of the burner flame should not extend beyond the bottom of the pot.

Are all your burners the same size?

No, but the two burners in the front are that size. IOW, for all but my biggest pots, I need to use the medium sized back burner or the simmer back burner. That's not how I would have designed the range.

First world problems! ;)

I think they place large burners in the front for convenience, ease of access, and safety reasons. You can hurt your back trying to handle a loaded tamale pot on a rear burner. You also would want to use a large wok right in front of you, over your largest burner.

Last edited:
No, but the two burners in the front are that size. IOW, for all but my biggest pots, I need to use the medium sized back burner or the simmer back burner. That's not how I would have designed the range.

First world problems! ;)

That's a fairly standard layout. My GE has two larger burners up front and a smaller burner and a simmer burner in back.

You would start your cooking up front and move the pot to the back to simmer, leaving the front burners accessible for other uses.

I can do a precise simmer on my front burners.

If your burners are properly adjusted, you will continue to have issues.

Last edited:
Our new range has very big burners. Here's one in action with my largest saucepan:

9cdBVkg.jpg

It seems that the flames are really just heating up the outer edges of the pot. Is that reasonable,or should I use the smaller burners in the back?

Thanks.

No, the heat moves through and along the bottom of the pot to heat the entire thing.

First world problems! ;)

I use my smaller saucepans on the larger burners, although one of my larger burners has two flame rings of different sizes. Just turn the flame down.

Back
Top Bottom