1/16/2019 - Nat'l Fig Newton Day - Whatcha Cookin'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Cheryl, Roc, and CG. With all of our pets (3 parrots, 4 cats, and a turtle) the logistics of feeding them will be a bit more difficult having no kitchen, especially the sink.

CG, the only thing left in the kitchen is an island, and upper cabinets. Oh, and the nuker. No stove, no sink. All pots and pans are boxed up.

I bought a bunch of frozen Korean meals as well as the fish, so we'll have to get by with the microwave and slow cooker if we get tired of eating out.

This is going to take a month or more.

I still have a coupla pairs of boots, grey/blue python, and brown lizrd skin, from back in the 80s. I wonder if they still fit? They'll stretch.

We can both look like tourists. I'm sure you have extra cameras to hang around our necks.

And extra fanny packs. :cool:

I don't wear cameras around NYC... AKA "rob me signs." Well, unless I'm working, which means I'm not alone, so it doesn't matter.

I will say that my exotic leather boots have not done me wrong in NYC in the past, especially walking slow and confidently with my hands in my leather jacket pockets. :cool:

Actually, I have found that the way to move around NYC is to move around like you live there. Same goes for Dallas or LA. In any big city all over the world, the key to safety is to act like you live there.

CD

bucky, that's a lot of empty kitchen real estate. Too bad this wasn't discovered during the summer. At least you could toss stuff on the grill. Again, I hope the restoration goes fast and successful.

...And how many splashes went into your glass CG? ;)
Zero, K-Girl. :LOL: I am on my second glass of wine for the night, thought.

Thanks Cheryl, Roc, and CG. With all of our pets (3 parrots, 4 cats, and a turtle) the logistics of feeding them will be a bit more difficult having no kitchen, especially the sink.

I'd love to meet your parrots. The things I could learn... oh, yeah, the things I could learn. ;)

CD

Since prosciutto and gorgonzola go well with figs, I wonder how Newtons wrapped in prosciutto with a gorgonzola dipping sauce would work.:angel:

Oh my goodness Casey!
If I spent $400 on a pair of Cowboy Boots, you know for sure they would NOT be going out on the range those pictures of the cowboys on the website.
No way, no how!

Way off topic, again, but when I was married, my wife wasted thousands of dollars on shoes that looked great, and lasted six months. The only shoes I approved of for her were Brighton. They were expensive, but made like men's shoes -- made to last for years.

That's what makes a cowboy boot worth five-hundred bucks, or more. You buy them, and wear them for 20 years, just replacing the heels and soles as needed.

Hey BT, you would be surprised at how many people in NYC know and respect proper Texas attire. Psuedo-Texas is almost as recognizable in NYC as it is in Dallas or Houston.

BTW, here are the actual boots. The color and stitching sucked me in.

CD

Attachments

• Boots001.jpg
    Boots001.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 233
Way off topic, again, but when I was married, my wife wasted thousands of dollars on shoes that looked great, and lasted six months. The only shoes I approved of for her were Brighton. They were expensive, but made like men's shoes -- made to last for years.

That's what makes a cowboy boot worth five-hundred bucks, or more. You buy them, and wear them for 20 years, just replacing the heels and soles as needed.

Hey BT, you would be surprised at how many people in NYC know and respect proper Texas attire. Psuedo-Texas is almost as recognizable in NYC as it is in Dallas or Houston.

BTW, here are the actual boots. The color and stitching sucked me in.

CD

Nice boots! I always wanted a pair of chicken skins. Love the color, too.

I found one pair of my old cockroach killers, the pythons, in the basement.
(I hope Craigsy ain't lookin')

I wore those things everywhere 30 years ago.

Attachments

• 0117190934b.jpg
    0117190934b.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 113
Nice boots! I always wanted a pair of chicken skins. Love the color, too.

I found one pair of my old cockroach killers, the pythons, in the basement.
(I hope Craigsy ain't lookin')

I wore those things everywhere 30 years ago.

Those pointy toe boots never felt good on my feet, so I never had any. Never had the box-nose boots, either. I like a nicely shaped round-to boot.

CD

I've never been one for pointy toed shoes, either. My feet are square toed, and it's always been hard to find comfortable shoes, esp. since I need size 16 EEEE!

Back to topic - a day late, but all the talk about figs got me thinking about them. So this morning I cut some up, and put them in the IP with some steel cut oats, water, and a little honey. Set it for 5 min., then after the pressure released for 5 min., I released it manually. Turned out great! The figs were really dried out, and the pressure cooking softened them just right.

Last edited:
We won't be cooking anything for some time. Half of the kichen was torn out today. Last Thursday, I noticed a small puddle of water in front of the dishwasher. I cleaned it up, but it kept coming back.

When the plumber came on Friday and pulled out the dishwasher, he noticed that the leak must have been going on for some time as it damaged the wood floors all the way through to the sub-floor, and there was mold under half of the cabinets and the drywall behind them.

Thank God my wife knew to insure our house with full replacement value when we bought it a few ywars ago.
It looks like there's enough damage that we may be getting a whole new kitchen, plus the wood floors throughout the house will be repaired, sanded and resealed.

Also, as part of the insurance is coverage for lack of use, we have $$$ that we can spend (woohoo!) on having to eat out every day.
Hi Bucky, so sorry about all of this. We went through the same thing about 8 years ago. I hope you have a better contractor than we did. The guy took the insurance money and gave us cheap cra* .:mad: Keep a close eye on them.

What we did was set up the kitchen on the dining room table and cooked most meals using our electric wok. Worked great for us.

Good luck!!

Kudos to anyone who makes good Fig Newtons. I traded some of our backyard honey to a friend for a few pounds of her backyard figs a few years ago and made Fig Newtons. The dough is very finicky and was difficult for me to work with. DH said they tasted great but they weren't very pretty [emoji38]

Last night was the Third Wednesday Sushi Night at a local seafood restaurant. We shared a tempura shrimp roll and then each had an order of their tempura shrimp tacos. Love the shrimp! :yum:
0116191905.jpg2019-01-17_12.29.12.jpg

Last edited:
Small pasta shells in a hot dog, tomato and onion sauce.

hot_dogs_tomato_onion_011619_IMG_5298.jpg

Looks good, k-girl.

I could go for some warm cornbread and butter. :yum:

Or some of Cheryl's neighbor's fig newtons. :yum:

We won't be cooking anything for some time. Half of the kichen was torn out today. Last Thursday, I noticed a small puddle of water in front of the dishwasher. I cleaned it up, but it kept coming back.

When the plumber came on Friday and pulled out the dishwasher, he noticed that the leak must have been going on for some time as it damaged the wood floors all the way through to the sub-floor, and there was mold under half of the cabinets and the drywall behind them.

Thank God my wife knew to insure our house with full replacement value when we bought it a few ywars ago.
It looks like there's enough damage that we may be getting a whole new kitchen, plus the wood floors throughout the house will be repaired, sanded and resealed.

Also, as part of the insurance is coverage for lack of use, we have $$$ that we can spend (woohoo!) on having to eat out every day

Lol, my wife is already planning on what expensive restaurants that she wants to go to next week.

Anyway, without the ability to cook, I picked up fish to slice for sashimi tonight, plus some store made sushi rolls (California, Alaska, Philadelphia, and shrimp tempura rolls).

Besides the rolls, salmon, tuna, and eel tonight, plus seaweed salad and kimchi:

Damn Bucky that sucks!:( Look on the bright side and add an XL BGE to the allowance for cooking meals!:ermm::ROFLMAO:

Kudos to anyone who makes good Fig Newtons. I traded some of our backyard honey to a friend for a few pounds of her backyard figs a few years ago and made Fig Newtons. The dough is very finicky and was difficult for me to work with. DH said they tasted great but they weren't very pretty [emoji38]

Last night was the Third Wednesday Sushi Night at a local seafood restaurant. We shared a tempura shrimp roll and then each had an order of their tempura shrimp tacos. Love the shrimp! :yum:
View attachment 33131View attachment 33132

Looks good, GG. :yum:

I don't know what recipe my friend Dianne uses for her homemade Fig Newtons - or maybe just that she's made them for so many years and has had a lot of practice :LOL: - but they look a lot like the store bought. Rounded little edges and all.

She's kind of the opposite of me....she's not real fond of cooking, but loves to bake. :chef:

Looks good, GG. :yum:

I don't know what recipe my friend Dianne uses for her homemade Fig Newtons - or maybe just that she's made them for so many years and has had a lot of practice [emoji38] - but they look a lot like the store bought. Rounded little edges and all.

She's kind of the opposite of me....she's not real fond of cooking, but loves to bake. :chef:

I'm sure it's the years of practice. I used this recipe from the pastry chef at Serious Eats and she knows her stuff. Since I've been making homemade bread for the last several years, I've learned how the dough is supposed to behave and feel. I don't have that skill with the Fig Newton dough.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/09/homemade-fig-newtons-recipe.html

Last edited:
Wow, those look delicious. :yum:

Yeah, I can see where the dough would be a challenge with these cookies, being so 'cakey'.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom