1/21/2019 - National New England Clam Chowder Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
https://www.boston.com/culture/new-...lebrate-national-new-england-clam-chowder-day

Even though this is a food forum, it's important to remember that it's also Martin Luther King Day.

No chowder tonight, even though it would be especially appropriate given last night's victory for the New England Patriots. I have a conference call at dinner time, so we're having some leftover chili and a salad.

And it is also Nat'l Granola Bar Day. No granola bars or chowder for us tonight. Tonight DH is making "Spicy Mango Wings" for my cooking game. Hope they are good. :yum: lol

It's "Repeat Monday" here in the middle of the desert.

005.jpg
[last night's dinner]

Basically it's going to be a No-Cook day :clap:
Breakfast was yogurt
Lunch is at a new restaurant
Dinner will be leftover Lasagne and the last 2 pieces of No Knead Bread
:yum:

At this point in the day, I have no idea what I will make for supper. I am reasonably certain it won't be clam chowder. I have nothing against clam chowder, in fact, I like it -- the white stuff, not that red stuff they make in Manhattan.

I picked up some short ribs from the Kroger "Manager's Special" section the other day. Those are calling to me. I can also hear the voice of some Boudin from Port Arthur coming from the freezer. I also have some really nice shrimps vacuum sealed in the freezer that I could sauté in butter and garlic, and toss with some penne pasta.

Decisions, decisions!

BTW, "Let no man pull you so low as to hate him." MLK

CD

Hot roast pork sandwiches..with frozen crinkle cut fries I got to try in my new Fry Daddy fryer that gf bought for me..it works pretty good so far!

Attachments

• 50558572_1840078572768302_4370322041941786624_n.jpg
    50558572_1840078572768302_4370322041941786624_n.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 117
We went to town today and had a wonderful Sushi lunch..My favorite Mexico City roll and Spicy Tuna roll.

On the way home, we picked up some tamales and green salsa at the local Mexican market deli along with some freshly made Elote so we'll be having that with the mandatory green salad.

No cooking at all for me either today.

It's also Squirrel Appreciation Day

Squirrel Appreciation Day

It's a good thing I hadn't planned on making Brunswick Stew today. :ermm: Instead, I used a rotisserie chicken and made my version of Panera's creamy chicken and wild rice soup. In spite of temperatures south of zero for today's high, I had a craving for salad, so salads I made. "Dessert" will be small bowls of mixed fruit salads (apple, banana, blueberry, grapefruit, orange).

Last edited:
Yummy looking and sounding dinners this evening! And boy, does clam chowder ever sound good...:yum:

I looked through the freezer this morning and found a quart of bean and ham soup, so I thawed that and doctored it up with some steamed carrots and fresh spinach that needed used. Toasted sourdough on the side.

Hey BT, do a search on YouTube for "Mahk." I couldn't find a link that is... um... no worse than PG-13 rated. You will like it.

CD

Lol, I did a search and I hope this is the guy you mean.

I absolutely hate this commercial. I grew up with a few mafioso families, and my wife did also in a different town. Much more my wife as her hometown was famous for its "Guinea Heights, Pollock Valley" sections, where some mobsters on the hill had $250k houses with cars and a cigarette boat on a trailer in the driveway worth a million or more.

This guy, Ray Liotta, and all of the actors who play tough guys and wiseguys are such fakes. Especially Liotta, DeNiro, and Pesci. My mother could kick their asses.

But this is funny.

https://youtu.be/d--UiOSAuio

Last edited:
Lots of cooking here yesterday. I made a big pan of roasted vegetables with Penzeys Forward! Seasoning and dried sage and thyme from the garden, sprinkled with balsamic vinegar and garnished with shredded carrots marinated in white wine vinegar. That was for the hospitality committee of my master gardener group. Last night was the first meeting of the new class. Bummed I forgot to take a picture of it.

After dropping that off, I came home and heated up leftover stuffed shells. I also picked some rainbow chard from the garden and sautéed it with frozen green beans. Homemade bread on the side. Or in the back, as the case may be ;)
20190121_201041.jpg

GG, that plate is inspirational. I haven't had stuffed shells in ages.

Good looking plates from all!

Neither have I. I've got to make those for a Sunday dinner soon. I love stuffing them with seafood and using a Newburg sauce. Problem is, I can't find Newburg sauce mix anywhere anymore. Knorr used to make it and I think it was discontinued several years ago. I could make my own, but it's too time-consuming and the ingredients scare me. With the sauce mix, I simply mixed it with milk, leaving out the butter, and it tasted just fine to me.

Lots of cooking here yesterday. I made a big pan of roasted vegetables with Penzeys Forward! Seasoning and dried sage and thyme from the garden, sprinkled with balsamic vinegar and garnished with shredded carrots marinated in white wine vinegar. That was for the hospitality committee of my master gardener group. Last night was the first meeting of the new class. Bummed I forgot to take a picture of it.

After dropping that off, I came home and heated up leftover stuffed shells. I also picked some rainbow chard from the garden and sautéed it with frozen green beans. Homemade bread on the side. Or in the back, as the case may be ;)
View attachment 33230

I love my veggies that have been sautéed in olive oil and garlic. Unfortunately because I am on Warfirin, I have to limit my intake of green veggies. And spinach and green beans are my two favorites.

Back
Top Bottom