10/11/13 - What Are You Cooking Tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you generally like seafood, you will probably like clams. I'd suggest you go try a bowl at a restaurant somewhere before you try making it and using substitutes. Just my 2¢ though.

Katy - Have you ever been to Germany and had Schneckensuppe? (snail soup) The snails have the same texture as chopped clams....at least to me.

I haven't been to Germany (though it is certainly on my list of places I want to visit). I am pretty sure I am never going to sample snails though - and you definitely haven't sold clams to me on that basis! :ohmy::LOL:

If you generally like seafood, you will probably like clams. I'd suggest you go try a bowl at a restaurant somewhere before you try making it and using substitutes. Just my 2¢ though.

I'm not sure I would say I "generally like seafood". I am very happy with prawns, and crab and I've eaten lobster, and squid. However, I am not happy with things like cockles and whelks and the thought of eating raw oysters is repulsive!

There is nowhere that sells bowls of clams where I live. (There isn't even a fishmonger in my town). I can get clams at the supermarket though.

I think the idea of getting some tinned clams is a good one. It will give me an idea of what to expect. If that is palatable, then I can make a "proper" Clam Chowder with some confidence.

Of course then I will need to get a good recipe! But I imagine there will be plenty of suggestions to be had here. ;)

Tinned clams will work just fine, as long as they are a good brand. Over here Snow's is popular.

Dinner cooking and plated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 157
Looks great, Pac!

We went to our new favorite steakhouse, and as usual, ordered a porterhouse to split, requested medium rare. OMG, it was delivered still mooing, totally raw and bloody. We said it wasn't what we ordered, waiter agreed the steak was raw. They quickly dispatched a new properly cooked one.

Last edited:
Looks tasty, Pac!

Dinner here was completely unscripted. I had no plan, either. About 4 pm I started looking to see what we had on hand. A can of Maesri red curry paste, coconut milk, peanut butter, and chicken thighs sounded like the making of a Thai dinner. As a bonus, there was a little basil and some red peppers left in the garden.

After whipping it all together I had Mrs. K take a taste, and was told it was too darned spicy. So a bit of doctoring was in order. I added some chicken broth and half a box of linguine, hoping that would tone down the heat. It did.

What it ended up being was a cross between Thai Peanut Curry and a pasta dish. It was really quite delicious, though.

Now will I be able to remember how I made it so that we can have it again? Not in a million years. :rolleyes:

Manhattan this time. I'm missing my Dad and this was his specialty.
Comfort food. Gotta love it. Whenever I'm really missing Mom bad ('cuz Dad didn't cook, but he could buy a mean donut ;) ) I'll cook up something of hers that I loved. Never could master her stew...

Thanks guys.

A nice glass of your red really would have rounded things off, Steve.

Taxi No schnitzels here either. I didn’t even make it to the store.

DxW somehow wiggles her fingers on the phone and I become disattached . She is still on an anti pork titch, although she eats breakfast sausage. And Bacon. And brats with gusto. Go figure. All the hot dogs I ever grill are “all beef” although I cant’recall reading fine print precisely on labels. IF so, I probably would never buy any. 50 -50 chance. Well, probably, I do have an inner sense. All she had to do was suggest we go out for dinner. I said sure.

We drove across the river to a favorite steak place, put our names in a hat and voila’ they seated us afterwhile. Grilled garlic toasts, simple house salad, sliced garden tomatoes and Italian peppers horsd'oeuvres gratis.and the Best Steaks and Bake potatoes. Is it possible to screw up a simple baked potato. Why yes, Esp after one of the rewards of eating one of these baked just right. I ordered a larger size steak, thinking I might take home half for mañana. Take no prisoners, there was no leftovers.

This kind of screws up plans for the rest of the weekend. I guess I will still shop for pork chops on sale and just freeze, as I have other pork plans lined up for football Sunday. DxW gets grill Chicken if she comes over to watch games. She’ll be happy with that. I however, wonder how I can top the’taters and make them different and as good a dish for football. I got ideas and a day ahead to plan a strategy. NO time for Rain or cold weather either.

Oompa oompa, no time for polkas, the weekend is way too short.

Back
Top Bottom