12/30/18 Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's something I have not done Andy. Were you pleased with the results and how did you finish them?

Was pleased with the results? Yes and no. They were just like the ones I make in a CI skillet but more complicated to make. Not difficult, just more steps.

I finished them in that same CI skillet just to brown/crisp the skin and back side.

I made a soup for tomorrow evening, but sampled it tonight. It's sort of a Jambalaya soup - something I made with a pound and a half of leftover ham. I made it with some whole grains (barley and quinoa), rather than white rice (2 guests are diabetic, though it seems they care less about that than I do!), and made sort of a thin porridge, with all of the same veggies and seasonings that go in the pilaf style Jambalaya. I just put enough (5) raw shrimp for my serving tonight; the rest will go in after I reheat it for tomorrow night. I made some shrimp broth with the shells - I'll put some more into the soup tomorrow, as I know it will thicken way up, like barley always does.

That's all I have to make for tomorrow, but I have the sweet things (fudge and the rest of those cookies), as well.

Was pleased with the results? Yes and no. They were just like the ones I make in a CI skillet but more complicated to make. Not difficult, just more steps.

I finished them in that same CI skillet just to brown/crisp the skin and back side.

I have also found that sous vide chicken isn't really worth the extra time and effort, especially with dark meat. It probably helps keep breasts moist, but for thighs, I just grill them or toss them in the cast-iron.

I also find sous vide to be a waste of time with chicken wings. They just don't seem to turn out any better, IMO.

CD

Last edited:
Andy, I had guessed that thighs wouldn't benefit from sous vide and I did chicken breasts just once and wasn't impressed there either. Then again, I prefer dark meat chicken.

I want to experiment more with sous vide but for me Tri Tip roast is my favorite as it cooks the odd triangle shape so perfectly from end to end. It also can't be beat for a thick cut Rib Eye steak.

...I made a salad to go with. This was a joint effort that involved a fair amount of wine. Well worth doing it that way...
So THAT'S the secret to making a salad less tedious! :LOL: I must try your method next time, taxy. ;)

... These wings and mozz suck.
So did the refs covering the Browns-Ravens game. Not much either of us could do about either problem though...

I prepped every kind of topping I could think of that someone might want on a pizza: sausage crumbles, pepperoni, diced ham, bacon, prosciutto, black olives, chopped onion, spinach, fresh tomato, mushrooms, diced red and yellow peppers, mozz cheese. *phew* I think I remembered it all. Used Naan bread and jarred sauce - the kids got Contadina sauce in a squeeze bottle. Took everything to Loverly's friend's house to assemble and eat. T'was yummy, but I came back to Loverly's and made myself a small salad. :LOL:

Last Night's Stuffed Peppers, Oven Roasted Spud, Peas 'n Pearls... and the ever - present Salad ...

Stuffed Peppers.jpg

Passed on the peas..used up a couple of rubbery parsnips..went a bit heavy on the gravy, but short rib gravy is my favorite beef gravy..

+1. One of my most fave meals! Looks delish. :yum: Your gravy looks so rich - I usually add a few drops of Kitchen Bouquet to darken up my gravy a bit.

Back
Top Bottom