12/5/10 Sunday, what's cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
left over bbq pork ribs, mac and cheese and cornbread. cheese cake bars for dessert. good thing i have leftovers. my kitchen sink is stopped up big time. called handyman but he has not called me back. dishes from last nights company dinner are still standing where i left them.

Here's the roast. I roasted it in a 12' cast iron pan. Smeard a bit of butter on the cut sides, cooked it at 425 for about 20 minutes, then, lowered the temp to 375 until the termometer said "eat".
THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!! Hmmmmmmmmm my thermometer has that reading missing. Mine has 2 readings "Edible" "Shoe leather"

Pan seared B/S chicken breasts (seasoned with ground roasted garlic sea salt, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, ground peppercorns & ground red pepper flakes) then finished in the oven, oven roasted Brussels sprouts (tossed with EVOO, grapeseed oil, sea salt, ground peppercorns & thyme), scalloped potatoes (potatoes sliced thin on mandolin slicer, thin sliced onion, sliced mushroom caps, butter, sea salt, ground peppercorns, ground dry porcini mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup & heavy cream) and natural au jus pan juices (chicken pan deglazed with a small amount of water and tasted fantastic!).

img_944992_0_723e622786220eec4fb947c5174c6908.jpg

Scalloped potatoes

Thin sliced onion & sliced mushroom caps seasoned with sea salt, ground peppercorns then sautéed in butter till soft. A can of undiluted cream of mushroom soup, 1 TBSP ground dry porcini mushrooms & 1 cup heavy cream added to mushrooms and mixed well. Potatoes thin sliced on mandolin slicer and tossed well with sauce. Potatoes baked in oven till tender.

img_944992_1_011f9cf2e73aa65e9798518ef7d82d71.jpg

We had a quick, scrambled omelette with cheese and scallions. DH had toast; I had RyVita. I was going to do a stir fry with sliced rib steak, but the hubster wasn't in the mood for that. So, I will probably be having rib steak as a midnight snack. If I don't finish it, I'll have steak sandwich tomorrow :)

I made Chicken Thighs with Sweet and Yukon Gold Potatoes with Fennel baked in my Clay Pot. It seemed to take forever to cook. When the turkey thighs were done the potatoes were still too hard so I had to take the turkey out and put the potatoes back in to cook for another 40 minutes. Maybe I need to use a higher temperature when using the clay pot. I never had that trouble before but there was a lot crammed into the clay pot. I was using my convection oven.

I want to save enough energy to see if I can make my kitchen sparkly like Alix's !

Oh if only my kitchen were sparkly like that all the time! I had to dig it out from under a pile of dishes and crap this morning!

How do you like the snack mix?

I was out all day and then had a bunch of baking to get done (for a banquet I am coordinating for our youth group on Friday and for Dad's cleaning ladies as this will be the last time they are here before Christmas) so I resorted to some of the very few items of prepared food I keep around for emergencies. I did a veal cordon Swiss for Dad and a Monte Cristo chicken for me. They are good, but I do prefer to make them.

I also put a ham bone in one of my crockpots to cook overnight and tomorrow I will remove the bone and add split peas, the meat from the bones, onion and seasonings for some pea soup for tomorrow's dinner.

Oh if only my kitchen were sparkly like that all the time! I had to dig it out from under a pile of dishes and crap this morning!

The snack mix is excellent. I copied, pasted and printed your recipe and made notes of what I did and didn't do. This batch was ready about 1-1/2 hours. I forgot the seasoning blend until I had been cooking it for an hour, but no harm done and very little left in the pan. I took a bowl for myself, but had to put half of it back or I would still be eating it. I noticed they (WalMart) had honey roasted peanuts for the same price/size, but got the regular dry roasted instead. I think next time I'll use the honey roasted. I really love sweet/savory combos.

I'll probably make up some sandwich size baggies for neighbors, just so I can use this batch up and make more adding raisins and craisins and honey roasted peanuts next time.

Thanks for the inspiration. I've been wanting to do this for some time as I had all those cereals, but kept putting off trying it because it bothered me to be adding all that butter/oil so as not to get it soggy, but I used a measuring cup and drizzled, stirred, drizzled, stirred until it was all mixed in and then cooked, stirred, cooked, stirred until everything was crisp again. Your post was the last straw, I just HAD to try it.:chef:

I cleaned out the fridge...I have a stack of plastic containers to wash you would not believe!:)

Oh no! I just got all mine washed!!!!!:LOL: Now we are down to spice containers that I emptied, because the spices were around when Neil Diamond was born!:ROFLMAO:

Hey, you leave my first love out of this! :ermm::LOL:
I bought new spice jars about 7 months ago and am only using one of them.

Hey, you leave my first love out of this! :ermm::LOL:
I bought new spice jars about 7 months ago and am only using one of them.

:LOL:My Penzy's order is coming tomorrow, I got rid of a lot of stuff to make room. But, I just could not throw away or recycle some of the glass jars. Pitiful, I know!:LOL:

I made Thai flavored carrot soup which was delish and way more filling than I though it would be. Also started my no-knead bread so I can bake that up tomorrow.

I'm scouting around for a savory biscotti recipe because I think that's just what we need to go with the rest of the soup tomorrow. I <3 GOOGLE!

I cleaned out the fridge...I have a stack of plastic containers to wash you would not believe!:)

Congrats. My freezer is still stuffed with them, so when I happened on some at the Family Dollar store, I bought another 4 pack.:ohmy:

It's hard to use up the frozen stuff when I keep finding ideas here every day for more dishes.:LOL:

roasted prime rib. I don't do it often, but usually after lots of turkey, it's just the thing.

It was awesome :) (w/ roasted spuds, carrots, shallots, parsnips, and creamed spinach)

Back
Top Bottom