2 From the Tool Box to the Kitchen Drawer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isopropanol would be best for it taxy. Not saying the WD40 won't work but the other will be much faster and disintegrate the grunge.

I don't have a junk drawer in my kitchen. I have five, foot-wide drawers and there isn't enough space to use one for junk. Okay, there is some junk in the bottom one, but it's some stuff that we bought for kitchen use, that was small and didn't work so well or wasn't useful and we haven't thrown it out yet. The rest of the bottom drawer has stuff that we use less often.

Isopropanol would be best for it taxy. Not saying the WD40 won't work but the other will be much faster and disintegrate the grunge.
Hmm, isoproponol is sort of a go to for me. It's great for ink.

I don't remember it being very good with greasy stuff. But, I can't say that I remember trying it on grease.

WD40 should work as well ;)
If that's counts as a tool, then that's one I got in my kitchen.
Plus a shifting spanner.

But honoustly, my tool kits are close by and so is my box of fishing tackle, so I keep most in there

I don't have a junk drawer in my kitchen. I have five, foot-wide drawers and there isn't enough space to use one for junk. Okay, there is some junk in the bottom one, but it's some stuff that we bought for kitchen use, that was small and didn't work so well or wasn't useful and we haven't thrown it out yet. The rest of the bottom drawer has stuff that we use less often.
That's what I call a junk drawer.

Taxlady, how about putting it in the dishwasher, or soaking in hot water with dish detergent? I put my pliers in the dishwasher after use.
Needle nose pliers are on my "to get" list. We have a pair in the workshop, but my husband, for some reason, gets a bit testy when I adopt his tools for kitchen use.

That's what I call a junk drawer.
Well, yes, sort of. There is nothing in there that isn't for kitchen use. No paper clips, no hammers, no notepads, ... Everything is for food prep or serving food. E.g., the taco holders. Those don't get used unless we are having hard shell tacos. I'll have a look, but I actually think there is only one item that should be gotten rid of. It's more of a temporary holding spot while we argue about whether or not it should go. I'm thinking of a plastic tea leaf holder that DH bought. If he wants to keep it, he can put it with his camping gear. Otherwise it's going in the "to be donated" bag or the garbage. There really isn't anything in there that someone who doesn't cook would usually consider a "tool".

I always keep some isopropyl alcohol nearby, and I keep that strong 91% type. I use it mostly to clean things, but also soaking my garlic cloves briefly (30 minutes), in a 50% solution, when getting ready to plant, in fall.

You can also use a garbage disposal to peel potatoes. :eek: :unsure:

When I was a teenager, I worked in the kitchen at a camp at Griffith Park. It was called Hollywood Land. So, one of the jobs of the kitchen aids was to eye the potatoes that came out of the big electric potato peeler. They were mostly peeled, but since potatoes are not completely uniform and smooth the eyes and some other dimples didn't get peeled by the big machine. We finished them with regular potato peelers right above the garbage disposal. Every once in a while someone would drop their potato into the garbage disposal.There was a large emergency stop button. Hit the button and stop the disposal; reach in; and pull out a completely peeled potato.

If you wanted to use a garbage disposal to peel your potatoes, I don't know if you would have to do them one or two at a time.

LOL - all in all, pretty funny - not really a time saver when you consider add in a trip to the ER. However, might be drier and a less messy way than the Russian's!

LOL - all in all, pretty funny - not really a time saver when you consider add in a trip to the ER. However, might be drier and a less messy way than the Russian's!
Well, I did write that for humour, but it was true. I doubt anyone would really want to use a grotty garbage disposal for peeling potatoes. How would you even get one clean enough?

No, not pliers on the small caps. It's too easy to deform them with the pliers. Whenever you get a wide elastic band, like with broccoli, save it. Those are very useful for those small caps and for jar lids. I use that before I use the screwdriver or strap wrench. Or, instead of a wide rubber band, rubber tubing works really well.
I'll try the rubber band, but I'm not giving up on pliers. You want the cap off a quart of Land O Lakes half and half? Pliers, pal. Just don't squeeze hard. And afterward, invert the cap and slit it 6 o'clock to 12, and from, 9 to 3. Will still providfe a seal but open easily.

Back
Top Bottom