20 dollar thangsgiving dinner...take the challenge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
15 lb. Turkey -- $5.00
10 lb bag of potatoes -- $2.50 (revised from $5 on 11/20)
1 bag of Cranberries -- $2.00
Pumpkin Pie -- $4.00

That's $13.50, thus far.

Spend the rest on fresh veggies, cream for the pie, stuffing/dressing, etc. You can buy fewer potatoes, so that should cut back a bit. You could even buy a smaller turkey, so that should save you even more.

You can easily do a good Thanksgiving dinner for under $20.

Psiguyy said:
15 lb. Turkey -- $5.00
10 lb bag of potatoes -- $5.00
1 bag of Cranberries -- $2.00
Pumpkin Pie -- $4.00

That's $16.00, thus far.

Spend the rest on fresh veggies, cream for the pie, stuffing/dressing, etc. You can buy fewer potatoes, so that should cut back a bit. You could even buy a smaller turkey, so that should save you even more.

You can easily do a good Thanksgiving dinner for under $20.

15lb. turkey for $5.00?

ok, is it $20 or $30?????

But whatever it is - you can find a turkey for .29 cents per pound - they are everywhere - so you may spend $3.00.

Buy about 4 potatoes (large), 2 bags of dried stuffing mix, a bunch of celery, 1 large onion. If you have some horseradish already add some to the mashed potatoes or just make the standard. Buy a jar of gravy - they really aren't that bad.

For a cranberry relish get 1 can of whole cranberries, 1 Granny Smith apple, 1 small bag of walnuts (chop them in big pieces) - mix all - if you have a little orange juice add it if you don't, don't worry about it.

a small carton of cream for the potatoes (you probably already have some butter, salt, etc.).

a Broccoli casserole, which is posted here called Grandma's Broccolil Casserole, if not I'll give it to you - and a box of plain sweet corn.

Buy a pumpkin pie. I didn't do the math but this has to be less than $30.00.

If you don't want to do the cranberry relish you can slice a whole white onion and caramalize it with some sugar and a very small tad of balsamic vinegar - makes a nice condiment for the turkey.

20 dollar thanksgiving dinner... take the challenge

One possibility other than getting a very small bird is to get a turkey roast. It resembles a meatloaf and would feed six people with nothing left. That's $3.50. I would make stuffing from one bag - Pepperidge Farm? I'm guessing $3.00 for the stuffing. I'd make a salad of romaine lettuce, grated carrots, and scallions with a little bit of oil and vinegar on it or lemon juice on it and seasonings. Call that another three dollars. I'd buy a pie, another three dollars. I'd make some iced tea with hot water and tea bags. I'm judging the prices from where I sit.

Having said all that I think we should remember that probably the settlers did not have ANY turkey and probably ate squash and potatoes and were thankful they had full bellies after a meal. There is no rule that says you have to have turkey for Thanksgiving. Some homemade bean soup, garlic bread, and salad sounds like a good meal to me.

No matter how much or how little you have what is important is to share with people around you. I'm thankful my family is well and the sun is out and that there is no hurricane in sight. (I live in Florida).

amber said:
15lb. turkey for $5.00?

OK. I lied. $4.77 each for 12 lb. to under 16 lb. turkey. I'm sure it's cheaper in other areas of the country. I live in a "resort" area, so prices tend to be higher here.

I just had an early Thanskgiving dinner two nights ago and I'm pretty sure I did it for around $15. This included a 14.83 lb turkey, a little 4 serving frozen $3.00 Pepperige Farm cake (too lazy to bake a pumpkin pie), peas & pearl onions, stuffing, fresh cranberry sauce, and 4 baked potatoes.

It was a very satisfying meal that probably took about 2 hours (not including time between brining, roasting, etc.) of easy work to prepare.

Every year I do this, I find that it gets less stressful. I do two Thanksgivings. One a week ahead for those who will be gone on the actual holiday and usually go to a couple of homes for the actual Thanksgiving. Sometimes, I end up at three different homes (lunch, late lunch, & dinner).

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
How about a BBQ Thanksgiving? EVERYTHING cooked on the grill. Hamburgers..... chicken..... vegtables.....
That should be under $20 right?

In Florida that might be just the thing to do. ;)

Bon appetit. :D

The best turkey I ever had was the first year my grandparents moved to Florida. We did the turkey on the grill. It was awesome!

6 turkey legs for 6 bucks.

3.50 on a frozen pumpkin pie

5 pound sack of potatoes 2.50

1 large bag of frozen vegetables 2 bucks.

1 can of cranberry goop for 1 buck.

1 buck for a stick of butter.

some flour to mix the gravy.

Bangbang said:
Ok.....you got 30 bucks to spend to feed 6. What do you make?

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravey, and cranberry sauce. Ask guests to each bring a side dish. :LOL: It is tuff with today's economy. Here they are advertising spend $100 at one visit and get a turkey free. Well dah, not much of a saving when the jack up the prices of the other stuff to cover the free turkey. Ah well, good luck bangbang.

Bang.

Would like more info. Is this regarding a family that is limited on funds to try to provide for their family of six on $30.00 or $20.00 for a Thanksgiving dinner, or is this a joke/challenge? I'm not clear here, as you didn't provide specifics. I think it's clear you can't make a Thanksgiving dinner for six on the funds you mentioned.

If a family is in need of monies to help feed their little ones, have a meal, there are government resources to help. I don't find this amusing. Please state what the purpose of this post is about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom