2016 Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
i read a bunch of the comments on the recipe - many suggested boil, drain, repeat twice more and so I think I'll do that. Just got home with 5 lbs of navels....

Everyone's menus look terrific. I went back and read them again, as it's too many days to remember. I could be a wee elf in any of your kitchen corners and just ooh and ahh with the good smells coming out of your ovens.
--
I did say we have a large family. BIL who is hosting Christmas day mis-remembered, it's not the florida kids year to come up (e- other yr), the 2 sibling sets who live "up north" aren't traveling, so their kids will go there. 22 less people. So we are not roasting a 2nd turkey. Luckily it had started thawing only a few hours in the frig, so back in the freezer it went. Now we are bringing a crockpot mashed taters, ginger glazed carrots and a pumpkin pie. Dx was ok with the trade and I will make the carrots. Oh, and we will both bring cookies we baked and the lefse I made.

Last edited:
I'm doing about 20 plus pounds of pulled pork Christmas Eve. I tend to pull all nighters for the holidays. Half normal and half spicy.

Then I'll throw on bacon wrapped sprouts a few hours before we eat.

Then afterwards, we'll be doing a beer tasting. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Okay, I finally know what's happening.

We are having dinner here at our house on the 25th. It will be TB's parents and us. His sister and her hubby were coming then he broke his arm and can't make it (is up North at their new place) so she was coming but when I thought I wasn't well enough to have it she accepted an invite from her other sister-in-law. TB's brother was coming but then couldn't because he was going to have the boys so I said to bring them but now he may not be able to come at all because their Mom will pick them up but won't tell him when.

And that is just HIS side of the family (and only a quarter of them at that) :LOL:

So on to the menu!

- Ham
- potatoes au gratin (regular and gluten free)
- sweet potatoes
- onion tart (gluten free crust and regular crust)
- brussel sprouts (one with bacon one without)
- salad with homemade balsamic dressing

Yule Logs (reg and GF) with eggnog ice cream

It's a good thing I was a caterer cause having to make two of everything is a snap!

When more of my family was here, we'd have our traditional Dungeness cracked crab dinner for Christmas Eve, then open our presents later that night. The next day we'd have a big turkey dinner. Nowadays, we just have a tasty Dungeness crab dinner on Christmas night.

Now that I've resigned myself to the fact that it's just we two for Christmas, I'm sure of Sunday dinner. Pork tenderloin, broccoli with toasted almonds and lemon/zest butter, Brussels sprouts/mushrooms/bacon, and teeny-tiny baby Yukon gold potatoes. They were a real treat, considering how much they charged for the bag. :ohmy: Dessert will be nectarine/blueberry/raspberry shortcakes. A bottle of Louis-Jadot Beaujolais-Villages Gamay.

So, pork roast with garlic, carrots and potatoes. Cauliflower, mashed, for the Keto crowd. As a treat the Almost Keto Purple Sweet Potato Pie. Low Key dinner at Mom and Dads, just Shrek and me going.

Two days later we 4 are heading to the big city for our Anniversary (32nd and 57th), eating out at Outback Steak House...anybody have any insight on good food there?

What recipe are you using? I do know they take a couple of days to dry, maybe more in high humidity. I would love some of those dipped in dark chocolate.

I looked at several recipes. The one from Epicurious looked to me to be the best. It calls for you to use your peeler to remove a very thin layer of the peel from the orange leaving the pith behind. The recipe is more complete in that it also tells you how to temper the chocolate. Some of the others called for removing the pith after you boil the skin. Too many steps for a simple procedure.

Many years ago I made a poppy seed lemon bread. It called for thin slices of lemon cooked in a sugar syrup placed on the top and along the sides. I was surprised at how tender the skin on those slices were. The Epi... recipe is so very similar.

Chocolate-Dipped Orange Peel recipe | Epicurious.com

So, pork roast with garlic, carrots and potatoes. Cauliflower, mashed, for the Keto crowd. As a treat the Almost Keto Purple Sweet Potato Pie. Low Key dinner at Mom and Dads, just Shrek and me going.

Two days later we 4 are heading to the big city for our Anniversary (32nd and 57th), eating out at Outback Steak House...anybody have any insight on good food there?

The Outback here is pretty good. They should be the same on both sides of the border. The Bloomin' Onion is a great appie to share. I love the baked potato soup and the fettuccine is really good too. I have it with fresh seasonal veggies but you can have chicken and/or shrimp as well. I had the chicken once - it was good but I am not a huge fan of honey mustard sauce.

Anyways, enjoy!

EDIT: I just realized I mentioned everything you CAN'T eat (I can't eat most of it anymore either). TB likes the steaks and the salads are pretty good as well.

Last edited:
We forgot to take pictures! Yeah that is me.

Menu 2016 became this

3 types of bread
boiling sausage
dipping broth
mini sausages
meatball
a local frying sausage
ribs
mustard coated ham
roasted brusselsprouts ( YUM)
Finnish Carrot box
Brawn
Liver paté
3 types of cold cut sausages
3 types of cheese
3 types of pickled herring
rolled brawn
red coleslaw
beetroot salad.

And to drink farm fresh milk and julmust, a Swedish malted Christmas drink.

We forgot to take pictures! Yeah that is me.

And to drink farm fresh milk and julmust, a Swedish malted Christmas drink.

Your meal is somewhat similar to our Scandinavian like Dungeness cracked crab smorgasbord we're having Christmas day. :)

Dungeness cracked crab.
Sourdough bread
Danish black bread
Swiss cheese
Blue cheese
Philadelphia cream cheese
Pickled herring
Creamed herring
Potato salad
Cole Slaw
Sweet gherkin pickles
Black olives, green olives
Melted butter, mayonaise
Lemon wedges

Last edited:
Brawn or head cheese, is boiled meat in meat jelly. In my case it just ham hock in brine, washed, then pigstrotters roasted and cooked with water, allspice berries, black pepper corns and bay leaf until the ham hock is soft. The broth flavoured with whole cloves and more all spice berries and cook down to half so the gelatin get more concentrated and the "sylta/ brawn/ head cheese get more firm. The meat from the ham hock is removed from the bone, skin and fat and cut in small pieces and sett in the jelly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom