2017 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Andy, that is interesting. The ingredient list is very similar to the biscochitos, which is a Spanish cookie. The difference is the biscochito is a rolled cookie that is pressed into a cinnamon/sugar mixture before baking and is made with lard.

Attachments

• DSCN6604.jpg
    DSCN6604.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 144
Pizza Babka?

B6383C07-3C13-4F39-8E8B-FAB8BD744B05.jpg
This is basically pizza dough stuffed and filled, then twisted and baked. It is superb, if I do say so myself!

Last edited by a moderator:
When we lived back in OH, actually the exurbs of Cleveland, a couple grocery store chains made what they called "pepperoni bread". It was Italian bread dough rolled flat, layered with lots of pepperoni and mozzarella cheese, then rolled to form a long log that looked basically like a loaf of Italian bread...but oh! so much better!

I really need to consider making that for us this winter, since the concept hasn't reached this side of the Hudson River, from what I've seen.

When we lived back in OH, actually the exurbs of Cleveland, a couple grocery store chains made what they called "pepperoni bread". It was Italian bread dough rolled flat, layered with lots of pepperoni and mozzarella cheese, then rolled to form a long log that looked basically like a loaf of Italian bread...but oh! so much better!

I really need to consider making that for us this winter, since the concept hasn't reached this side of the Hudson River, from what I've seen.
I think the pizzerias in NJ call that Stromboli or pepperoni roll (or whatever meat you want "roll"). Some have sauce and one place called them "pizza" rolls, they use a ball of pizza dough that would make a medium pizza to make these. Pretty good stuff. Thanks for reminding me of these.

Made a batch of my Grandma's brown sugar Short bread first thing this morning. Got some Canadian cookies (Mexican wedding cake cookies) in the oven now. Three kinds of cookies done, just have to do those Scandinavian cookies to get to 7 and find better hiding places...maybe under my bed?

Monkey bread, or volcano?

I made monkey bread last night, for the first time. It was delicious (past tense, there’s none left). But while it was yummy, I had a very surprising (and funny) result!

I used a recipe for a bread machine small loaf. It didn’t seem to rise well, but I figured that the recipe was for a loaf smaller than I usually make. So I divided the dough into little balls, but it in a small loaf pan (one of those cheap, aluminum throw-aways) instead of the recommended tube pan.

I certainly didn’t expect the Vesuvius-like rise that occurred during baking! Here’s the end result (minus a few rolls, lol).

24FC652F-3CB1-4E34-BB05-F19C905D6214.jpg
It’s like some delicious Japanese monster!

I want to make Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cake for my next door neighbor. I bake it in a tube pan with royal icing holly leaves and red berries around the sides and on top to make it look like a wreath.

But with my legs as such, it will take me three days. Today I will make all the white/green frosting and color the coconut a medium green. Tomorrow I will make the royal frosting and do the cutout for the royal frostings holly and berry leaves placed around the outside of the cake. Then on the third day I will bake the cake, let it cool completely and frost and decorate. I have to keep sitting down every so often. No wonder it is going to take me three days. It used to take me only two.

I can't ever recall sitting down at the table while doing my baking. I just might try that today.

Last edited:
I finally got a (bad, sorry) picture of my homemade blackberry pie. I've been on a pie making frenzy (I can only bake so many months out of the year in Vegas). They've all tasted good but this is the closest one that's looked like an actual pie. :LOL:

ahXa0qI.jpg

Yeeesh! I found it. My first attempt at pie. Thank you for letting me post DC, you're too kind. :ROFLMAO:

I make a lot of cream pies at work ; chocolate, coconut, butterscotch, black forest, Snickers and Reese's. I've also done berries, apples, lemon & lime, I'm getting pie burnout.

Anyone have any suggestions for some different kinds??
Any input would be much appreciated!

I make a lot of cream pies at work ; chocolate, coconut, butterscotch, black forest, Snickers and Reese's. I've also done berries, apples, lemon & lime, I'm getting pie burnout.

Anyone have any suggestions for some different kinds??
Any input would be much appreciated!
You didn’t mention any savory pies. Pot pies, tomato pie. Oh, and who could leave out pizza pie???

Back
Top Bottom