2017 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I am trying to get some baking in before we leave to go get our puppy.

First up is a double batch of Paleo/Gluten/dairy free pumpkin cake. It is actually really delicious, made with almond and coconut flours.

Second, I am making a bunch of mini cupcakes to take to the dog park tomorrow on our triumphant return with our new little Cupcake (the dog) and for Halloween. They will be chocolate and in orange and/or black cups. I will use vanilla icing (maybe colored) and decorate with Halloween sprinkles and red balls (to represent Cupcake! who is getting red accessories.

I made a pound cake that baked while I was prepping our dinner. We'll have fresh strawberries macerated with a tiny bit of triple sec and sugar to go over, and whipped cream on top.

I never thought to put triple sec in... must try that next time.

Todays experiment - for a friends b-day (that's 2 cakes in one week) a lemon and almond torte. And yes... that's lemon curd baked right onto the top of the cake. Unspeakable amounts of butter in this little cake! It will get served up with some fresh berries and ice cream and the requisite candle.

lemon torte.jpg

lemontorte_top.jpg

K-Girl and Cheryl..... Thank you for asking.. :)

I made this recipe from Baking Mischief.. Tracy has some good recipes for two..

The only thing I did differently was using Trader Joe's Pumpkin Pie Spices instead of her suggested spices.. The bars are delicious.. :yum:
(keep in mind tho, that my delicious may differ from your delicious.. :LOL: )

https://bakingmischief.com/2016/10/14/shortbread-pumpkin-pie-bars/

Edited to add.. After drizzling the glaze, I added some chocolate syrup to the remaining glaze and drizzled that on top.. reason: chocolate makes everything better.. ;)

Ross

Thank you, Ross. Sounds delish, and I like that's it's written up as small batch. Copied and saved. :)

Todays experiment - for a friends b-day (that's 2 cakes in one week) a lemon and almond torte. And yes... that's lemon curd baked right onto the top of the cake. Unspeakable amounts of butter in this little cake! It will get served up with some fresh berries and ice cream and the requisite candle.

View attachment 28249

View attachment 28250

Be still my heart... :)

Ross

View attachment 28249

View attachment 28250

OhMyGOSH!!
Recipe please?
I have some Meyer Lemon curd in the freezer ... :yum:

OhMyGOSH!!
Recipe please?
I have some Meyer Lemon curd in the freezer ... :yum:

Ok - here ya go...

Italian Torte with lemon curd and almonds - oven 350

Ingredients for curd (or used jarred)
You will need 1/2 to 2/3 C Lemon Curd - this recipe makes a little extra.

2 lemons, zested and juiced
1 C sugar
4 extra large eggs
6 T butter, cubed

Ingredients for Cake
1/2 C butter softened
1 C sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp lemon zest
2 extra large eggs

1 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C ground toasted almonds

Topping for cake (add before baking)
1/4 C toasted sliced almonds
2 T sugar

Assembly:

Early prep
1. Make curd and cool
2. Toast all almonds and grind 1/2 C
3. Butter and flour a 9 inch spring-form pan

Make curd: Combine all ingredients in pan and mix well. Cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly (about 5 minutes). Strain and set aside or chill with plastic wrap on surface to prevent skin from forming.

Make Cake: In mixer combine butter, sugar, extracts and zest and beat until light. Add eggs and beat again to combine. Add dry ingredients and just mix in. Do not overwork batter as cake will be tough.
Spread batter in pan.
Spread curd on center of cake almost to edges, being careful to leave 1 inch of batter uncovered around the edge.
Cover with 1/4 C toasted almonds and then sprinkle on 2 T sugar.

Bake about 40 minutes until toasty brown on top and tester inserted in cake (but not the curd) comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before depanning.

Good served with whipped cream or berries and ice-cream.

Easy to assemble on the day of eating IF curd is made and nuts are toasted and ground. Must be refrigerated to store for more than a day.

View attachment 28249

View attachment 28250

I see you posted the recipe...good thing I was going to ask for it. OMGosh that looks wonderful.

Here it is, from “The No Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook.” I added 1/2 cup of finely diced ham. I’m not breaking any copyright laws; I checked. You can’t copyright a list of ingredients and a set of directions.
12 SLICES / 1½ POUNDS
1¼ cups milk, at 80°F to 90°F
1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded aged sharp Cheddar cheese ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups white bread flour
1¼ teaspoons bread machine or instant yeast
Put the ingredients into the machine in the order recommended by the machine’s manufacturer; I like to add the cheese and ham at the “add ingredients” alert. Set the machine to “basic” and choose a light or medium crust. You’re done! The book this came from is excellent, and really handy to have digitally. It’s available on Amazon Kindle. Enjoy!

Anytime I am posting a recipe, I change the wording in the directions and list of ingredients. I will even add an outlandish description of an ingredient such as "that beautiful yellow butter". A personal sentence such as "My kids won't touch these cookies unless I put in those ........." Also listing the ingredients in a different order. Original calls for One cup of butter, 2 cups of sugar. Just switch them.

Any one of these little changes will protect you from violating any copyright laws.

[B said:
Janet H[/B];1530096]Ok - here ya go...

Italian Torte with lemon curd and almonds - oven 350

Thank you Janet, copy&paste to my recipe binder! And I agree with CG, you might want to post this in the dessert thread too!

[B said:
Andy M[/B].;1530147]Just finished a batch of English muffins. Guessing one will be part of tomorrow's breakfast.

Andy, was it easy? I've never made my own, but I hear that they are far superior to store bought...

I think I got them at Amazon.com. It was less than $10 for a box of four. I bought two boxes.
Thank you Andy. Just looked on Amazon.
Norpro 3775 Muffin Rings, Set of 8
Price:$11.24

I think that's even a better price than I paid. I used to make those rings in a shop class in junior high school.

Well, I've been getting ready for my first "new" community's Bake/Craft Sale,
I'm so excited!
Where we lived before, there were no such thing, mostly because these folks were seasonal and could care less about community...but I digress...
this will be held on Veteran's Day and I have a few things done already...

So!
I have a pretty ambitious list of items that I'm making for the sale...

My Rum Cakes
Magic Bars
My Tricked Out Brownies
My Salted Caramel Brownies
My Chewy Caramel Cuts
Morning Glory Muffins
My Old Fashion GingerBread
2 different flavored "Cookies In A Jar" Mix (I included Gluten Free)
Chai Tea Mix In A Jar
Several different Infused Salts & Spice Mixes

Too much ya think?

Back
Top Bottom