2018 New Year's Eve & New Year's day Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure..I am heading to our guitar player's place for New Years Eve party..we're setting up in the living room to play, so it should be a blast..I may be a bit hung over as he lives close by..nothing big planned..we entertained family for three days over xmas..paid our dues..I'll probably do something..just not sure what yet

Plenty of odds and ends in the freezer to snack on New Year's Eve.

If it's cold on New Year's day I'm thinking about making a small pot of beans & greens or Zuppa Toscana to start the year off on a frugal and hopefully prosperous note with beans representing coins and the greens representing dollars for good luck.

I'll probably buy some homemade tamales again from the lovely Latino ladies who make them so well :yum:, and make a chiles rellenos casserole. There will probably only be 5 here. Doubtful I'll be up until midnight to ring in the New Year. :LOL:

Not sure..I am heading to our guitar player's place for New Years Eve party..we're setting up in the living room to play, so it should be a blast..I may be a bit hung over as he lives close by..nothing big planned..we entertained family for three days over xmas..paid our dues..I'll probably do something..just not sure what yet

That sounds fun. I love going to house parties tbat end up having a band.

One of our friends that came over tonight for our early NYE dinner is in an up and coming band called Deviant Youth. They released their first single a few months ago:
https://youtu.be/4hbebWXzauA

I'd love to have them play here for a bbq next summer. Or better yet, have them set up in our foyer and record a few songs a la Led Zep in Headley Grange.

They recently played at the Stone Pony (a famous Jersey bar), and Eric, guitar and vocals, said he was blown away when the crowd started singing the lyrics along with him.

Last edited:
That sounds fun. I love going to house parties tbat end up having a band.

One of our friends that came over tonight for our early NYE dinner is in an up and coming band called Deviant Youth. They released their first single a few months ago:
https://youtu.be/4hbebWXzauA

I'd love to have them play here for a bbq next summer. Or better yet, have them set up in our foyer and record a few songs a la Led Zep in Headley Grange.

They recently played at the Stone Pony (a famous Jersey bar), and Eric, guitar and vocals, said he was blown away when the crowd started singing the lyrics along with him.
Cool band..lots of energy..they would sure light up any party..reminds me of early Goo Goo Dolls.

...I have been fighting a cold, painful joints and it seems a bit overwhelmed...
msm, your menu looks delicious and ambitious, as usual. But if it is overwhelming, cut back. Take care of yourself first. :heart: If anyone complains that "this" is missing or that they really wanted "that", tell them with a smile and honey dripping off your words that they can take care of that item next time. After all, you still need to see many more New Years.

It will probably be just Himself and me. Since we always stay up late, New Year's eve isn't much of a challenge. :LOL: I'll be assembling all the ingredients for "make your own pizzas" to take to a Browns watch party Sunday at the home of one of Loverly's friends. I'll probably make sure I bring enough supplies back to make pizzas for Monday night. Pizza and beer - perfect food for a laid-back New Year's.

...Eric, guitar and vocals, said he was blown away when the crowd started singing the lyrics along with him.
Ain't the internet great! One video with lyrics, and everyone can be a sing-along fan. Their music is happy sounding. Toe-tapping. I wish them luck.

Last edited:

I went to a xmas party last week hosted by an ad agency I work with, that is also owned by a college friend who also has a band called Lil' Blue Pills.

Like you, they have lucrative day jobs, and play music at local clubs mostly for fun -- they couldn't live how they live on that gig money.

I shot a few photos at the party. Not a lot of photos -- I tossed a camera in the car just to snap a few shots. The guy with the Les Paul is my college friend.

CD

Attachments

• Pills0001.jpg
    Pills0001.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Starter: potato soup
Main : chicken roast dinner
dessert treacle pudding:

Or if we still are ill over here, well then it be chicken soup, fruit soup, white bread and lots of water.

Plans are still open. IE,meaning we haven’t discussed yet. For all I know, plans may already be set in cement. NY’s will be just the 2 of us. I doubt we will have a picnic on a blanket in front of the fireplace. Did that one year, or maybe it was Valentine’s day. -- We took the Grands snow sledding the other week. Gentle, not steep, hill for their first time, and once we hit the bottom of the hill, we coasted a long way. The kids jumped up and wanted to go again right away. A new discovery found us crawling towards each other to help us up off the ground. Literally. I think this eliminates any holiday floor activity.

Everything tastes better when it sits on a Ritz.

Reminds me, I think I should go to the Scandinavian market and pick up a wee small container pickled herring. They sell in bulk, so buying just a little is a breeze. Except it’s so darn cold out. At this time of year, you pick a number when you come in the door, not wait until you get to the counter. The whole store would probably laugh if all I ordered was 4 oz herring. On the other hand, we have lots of cheeses, limited choices, mostly cheddar.

There are several roasts in the freezer from Costco. Dx loves French dip sandwiches. I think I will finagle a way to mention this idea today. And her devilled eggs are very good. I should mention those. I can make a bowl Texas caviar with chips, she likes that.

There’s a lot of College Bowl games this weekend, including today, so I’d better hop to it or catch up.

For NYE, I'm fixing a beef tenderloin with a shallot, mushroom & red wine sauce; twice-baked potatoes and broccoli. Probably a small cheesecake for dessert.

New Year's Day will be breakfast for dinner,

informenter-marker-1.png

Roasted Pork Loin (stuffed)
Blackeyed peas
Brown rice
Kale
Corn custard

Pineapple upside down cake

We’ve been eating pretty well lately, and it’s just gf and I at home tomorrow, so we’ll be taking it easy. With any luck, I ‘ll be hung over. I’m planning to make Mc Rib sandwiches with onion rings at some point. Nothing like standing in front of a vat of hot oil while being hung over to keep you on your toes.
Like my mother used to say “ Be alert. The world needs more lerts”
I’ll try and post a pic or vid of the shananigan’s tonight. There’s usually somebody with a phone standing in front of us at some
point..

Last edited:
For NYD, I've decided on pork butt, cut up, seared and braised in cider with sauerkraut. Some red potatoes, mashed with lots of garlic, on the side.

I'll pour some of the braising juices on Psycho Poodle's kibble for his NYD meal. ;)

CD

Rocklobster is handing out cups of delicious short rib gravy to all who ask, and all you can do for your (intellectually) better half is a bit of braising liquid?

For shame.
For shaaaame!

Rocklobster is handing out cups of delicious short rib gravy to all who ask, and all you can do for your (intellectually) better half is a bit of braising liquid?

For shame.
For shaaaame!

First of all, his favorite snack is June Bugs, and he sniffs other dogs butts. He's not picky. :ermm:

Second, that braising liquid is righteous stuff. I'll be pouring some on my food, too. :chef:

BTW, he sometimes thinks he is smarter than I am, too. That hasn't worked out well for him. :rolleyes:

CD

So after car shopping all day, I decided to stop off in the last remnants of the Italian section of my old neighborhood and got takeout.

I really missed thi place. Really old school Italian American. Much of the staff has been there since the 70s, and the decor is the same. But the food, cash only, is still just as great as ever.

I laughed when someone complained about a glass of house red wine that was cold, not room temp, as I waited for my food.

Last edited:
So after car shopping all day, I decided to stop off in the last remnants of the Italian section of my old neighborhood and got takeout.

I really missed thi place. Really old school Italian American. Much of the staff has been there since the 70s, and the decor is the same. But the food, cash only, is still just as great as ever.

I laughed when someone complained about a glass of house red wine that was cold, not room temp, as I waited for my food.

Finally decided to trade in the 74 Gremlin? Were you able to find that low mileage Pontiac Aztek you've been wanting?

CD

Back
Top Bottom