2018 Spring Holiday Plans/Menus (Passover & Easter)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Easter dinner:

Eye round roast, steamed baby spinach, whipped potatoes (with cream cheese, sour cream, butter, salt pepper and chives) and burgundy pan gravy.

easter_dinner_040118_IMG_3891.jpg

No fancy dinner here.

But I did make a tea cake for the two of us.

Chocolate almond tea cake w/ Grand Marnier frosting and mandarin oranges

Tea cake
1.5 c almond flour
1/2 c cocoa, unsweetened
2 t flour
1/2 t baking powder
3 eggs, room temp
3/4 c sugar
Small pinch salt
1/3 stick butter, unsalted

Frosting and topping
2/3 stick butter unsalted, soft
1 Tbsp Grand Marnier
powdered sugar
Liquid from mandarin oranges can

Serve with mandarin orange (tangerine) slices

Cake
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray oil in a tea loaf pan. Line bottom with parchment or waxed paper and spray paper.

Place mandarin oranges over a sieve set over a bowl to drain. Set aside.

Melt butter and set aside.

Whisk together the almond flour, flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Set aside.

Separate eggs with the whites going into a tall mixing bowl and yolks into a small bowl and set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat the whites for 30 seconds. Add sugar and salt and beat until stiff peaks just start to form. Transfer to another bowl.

Place egg yolks in mixer bowl and beat until pale in color and increased in volume. Add melted butter and beat 5 seconds. Add dry mixture in batches, beating briefly after each addition.

Place several Tbsp of batter into a small bowl. Add a Tbsp of whites. Mix with fork. Pour into batter and beat 2 seconds. Fold batter into egg whites batches, quickly and lightly, until no streaks appear.

Bake for 25 min or until top is puffy and tester comes out clean.

Place on wire rack to cool. Run sharp knife around rim. After 10 min, turn cake out onto rack. Cool to room temp before adding frosting.

Frosting
Place butter in a mini food processor, and pulse to cream. Scrape sides. Add Grand Marnier, pulse again. Add 2 Tbsp powdered sugar and pulse to mix, scraping down sides. Add powdered sugar and liquid from mandarin oranges can until you get amount and consistency you like.

Frost tea cake as you like. (Top only is fine.) Place mandarin orange slices along top.

Serve right away. Or cover cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Next day, frost cold cake but do not add orange slices until just before serving.

Makes 1 small tea cake

Drooling over everyone's pics and menu descriptions!! :yum:

It was actually pretty much like any other day here today, food wise - Tyler wasn't feeling all that great the past couple of days and other life's issues got in the way of a grand Easter dinner. No big deal though, we all survived and enjoyed a nice quiet day.

I made a frittata this afternoon - eggs, ham, asparagus, potatoes, red and green bell peppers, and onions. Baked it in the oven and topped it with a little asiago and parm just before plating. Watermelon on the side. :yum:

profnot, your Chocolate Almond Tea Cake sounds fabulous, and thank you so much for sharing the recipe! :yum:

Could you please post it in the Dessert Forum so it doesn't get lost? :flowers:

Cheryl, you should be an admin. You have the grace and temperment, and you are often so helpful.

Thank you for the kind words, bucky. :) I'm not admin material and can't imagine the constant commitment it takes to maintain a board...
plus.....I've had a few posts removed for lack of grace and temperament...lol...

I made a big relish tray with a Caesar dressing dip and a tray of olives and pickles to nibble while the last of the foods finished cooking. We also started into a bottle of red wine that I got from a friend as part of an old-fashioned swop. Dinner was ham, roasted carrots, roasted asparagus with lemon/lemon zest and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, roasted creamer potatoes, green beans with almonds, cloverleaf rolls. SIL made an apple pie for dessert. All I got was a "before" picture...

Attachments

• 20180401_170302.jpg
    20180401_170302.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 126
I actually smoked a half-rack of back ribs yesterday on the Kettle. One of my neighbors had a huge crawfish boil going, and gave me a paper bowl with some, with a piece of sausage and a piece of corn.

CD

Back
Top Bottom