2020 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The concept is great and a cute idea. It worked insofar as the dough coming out/off of the lid. The dough was not pliable, very hard to roll and I would have said my error had not Ross said something about using his own dough too.

It reminded me of a heavy duty pasty dough. You could safely have carried them in your pocket without wrapping. :ROFLMAO: :wacko:

I'm of two minds about the filling. She used a couple of teaspoons of flour to thicken. When I read it I was doubtful, it worked but I think I would just rather use corn starch or tapioca. ATK used tapioca powder, you put it thru your grinder or use a mortar 'n pestle. I liked that.

Was the problem the dough? Do the lids seem like they would work with other dough?

To me, the dough was not good.. Keep in mind that I do not make dough, I cheat with store bought pie crusts.. :ermm:

To add insult to injury I also am prone to using canned pie fillings.. :ohmy::wacko:

Hey!!! I'm 81 and can't stand at the counter long enough to be a real cook anymore.. ;):rolleyes:

Ross

Just for fun, I baked a mini cake in a vintage Mother's Oats Ring Mold.
Ross 20200718_130553.jpg

That cake is drizzled so expertly! How do you do that?

Last week the New York Times ran a recipe for peach pound cake, and I made it today. It was delicious, although I couldn't take any more sugar so I skipped the icing. Also, the crumb was courser than I expected - would this be because I used a peach puree rather than milk? And it took much longer to bake than the 75-80 minutes the recipe called for - I would say at least 90. Would this be because I used a toaster oven (didn't want to turn on the big oven).

I made a loaf of KAF English Muffin Toasting Bread yesterday. I don't know why I thought I needed to slash it :rolleyes: That ruined the beautiful top. Oh well, it still made a delicious BLT today.
20200717_230730.jpg

Last edited:
Last week the New York Times ran a recipe for peach pound cake, and I made it today. It was delicious, although I couldn't take any more sugar so I skipped the icing. Also, the crumb was courser than I expected - would this be because I used a peach puree rather than milk? And it took much longer to bake than the 75-80 minutes the recipe called for - I would say at least 90. Would this be because I used a toaster oven (didn't want to turn on the big oven).

the puree, being much thicker than milk, could be one explanation for the longer cooking time. The toaster oven, maybe, but I rather imagine it's the first reason.

I tried an old recipe I found while digging through all the clippings I accumulated. We haven't tried them yet, but from the look and smell, I bet I make these again.

IMG_20200803_173202698_HDR.jpg

Never thought Id post on the baking thread ( as I hate baking). but needed a reason to use up some of my cherry and grape tomatoes ( along with rosemary and oregano) from the garden.

Only thing I'd do different is make it a little thinner, but other than that, it was really good and well above my expectations.

Focaccia with fresh tomatoes , rosemary and oregano

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 9.43.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 9.43.03 PM.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 71
I finally tried out the new hand mixer. Wow, more power, anyone? It was nice to not have the cord fall out of the mixer body while I was whizzing along. Made a blueberry-lemon quick bread. I think the "quick" refers to how fast Himself could make it disappear!

IMG_20200808_194638384_HDR.jpg

I finally tried out the new hand mixer. Wow, more power, anyone? It was nice to not have the cord fall out of the mixer body while I was whizzing along. Made a blueberry-lemon quick bread. I think the "quick" refers to how fast Himself could make it disappear!

View attachment 42375

Beautiful bread.

Is that a Cuisinart hand mixer? I love mine and that the cord can swivel in either direction. But the best part is everything stores underneath in the container the mixer snaps into.

cuisinart_hand_mixer_02-2018.jpg

Yup, that's the mixer I just got, msm. I looked at and read up on quite a few models, but decided that I liked this one the best. Kinda spendy, but it was Discover cash back cards and a BBB 20% coupon that I got it with...and we have lots of Discover points since we charge everything. Plus, Cuisinart. ;)

Thanks for the bread compliment. I used this recipe, which was one I had used in the past. Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe

View attachment 42375

That sounds and looks delicious! I wish I had seen this before I baked applesauce quick bread this afternoon!!!

Would you share your recipe?

Back
Top Bottom