2021 Thanksgiving Plans (U.S.A. - 11/25/2021)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For many years I've been using Fabio Viviani's recipe for stuffing. It was really simple, but an awesome end result recipe. I have no idea what happened, but I cannot find it. Not in my files, not on line.
It is absolutely terrible. What am I to do?
SOS.
:unhappy:
:furious: at myself
:censored::censored::censored:
There is no crying emoji, well I am crying, and nobody can stop me, unless you can help me with stuffing.

PLEASE.
;) :)

So today was Thanksgiving ' which dish am I going to make and bring' trial day.
Mushroom Wllington vs Sweet Potato Lasagna ( Originally I thought it was butternut squash, but was mistaken after reading the recipe).
Both were tedious but easy to make.
The Wellington would definitely have a more impressive presentation ( The lasagna kinda looked sloppy with no vibrant colors). The Lasagna would store and travel better. It would also serve easier.

The winner is ....The lasagna!!. The Wellington was good, but the lasagna was above average in my opinion. I initially thought the lasagna may have to pasty of a consistency due to the mashed sweet potatoes, but the noodles broke up the texture . I did play with it a little, so its not exactly as written in the recipe. I started with a thin layer of mushroom gravy on the bottom ( which they didnt). I also added a layer of Ricotta (which they didnt). I didnt add a top layer of cheese ( cause vegan cheese consistency is poor, especially as a top layer.

My favorite part of the Wellington was the puff pastry. I forgot how great that tastes, and the texture is perfect.

In short:
Wellington : Puff pastry, caramelized onions, sautéed spinach ( with garlic which they didnt do), marinated portobello ( they didnt marinate), a cranberry mustard spread, another layer of the spinach and onions. Rolled, flipped , fake egg wash and baked about 30 - 35 minutes, rotating once due to uneven heating in the oven.

Thanksgiving Lasagna: Mushroom gravy, lasagna noodles, mashed sweet potato with rosemary, parsley, spinach onion and garlic powder mixed in, layer of sautéed strignbeans and mushrooms , layer of cheese ( crappy vegan which actually works well as a layer, noodle layer, ricotta ( vegan ), noodle layer , potato layer, string beans and mushrooms and a little cheese . Baked.

The Wellington taste good, looks great, lasagna tastes very good, looks like I dropped it on the floor, then put it back in the pan hoping no one would notice. Ill pretty things up when I make a new one for thanksgiving.

https://twomarketgirls.com/thanksgiving-lasagna/

https://twomarketgirls.com/mushroom-wellington/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.37.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.37.13 PM.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.37.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.37.04 PM.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.36.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.36.56 PM.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.35.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.35.37 PM.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.34.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.34.52 PM.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.34.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.34.38 PM.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.34.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.34.26 PM.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.34.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.34.18 PM.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.34.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.34.02 PM.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.33.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.33.51 PM.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.37.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.37.38 PM.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.37.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 6.37.28 PM.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
For many years I've been using Fabio Viviani's recipe for stuffing. It was really simple, but an awesome end result recipe. I have no idea what happened, but I cannot find it. Not in my files, not on line.
It is absolutely terrible. What am I to do?
SOS.
:unhappy:
:furious: at myself
:censored::censored::censored:
There is no crying emoji, well I am crying, and nobody can stop me, unless you can help me with stuffing.

PLEASE.
;) :)

Here it is:
https://parade.com/620651/alison-ashton/make-top-chef-fabio-vivianis-thanksgiving-stuffing-recipe/

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh Larry! you, sir, have outdone yourself!

That Wellington, I gotta do it. Gonna start copying and taking down your notes today.

The Lasagna, very accurate description :LOL::ROFLMAO: But does sound delish, so am writing that one down as well.
I'm not a big fan of lasagna and although I am certainly not a vegetarian I am a believer in more vegie than meat on the tables. (I don't always do it... but I believe in it :rolleyes: )

So today was Thanksgiving ' which dish am I going to make and bring' trial day.
Mushroom Wllington vs Sweet Potato Lasagna ( Originally I thought it was butternut squash, but was mistaken after reading the recipe).
Both were tedious but easy to make.
The Wellington would definitely have a more impressive presentation ( The lasagna kinda looked sloppy with no vibrant colors). The Lasagna would store and travel better. It would also serve easier.

[/url]

Thank you, Larry. :)

Ross

Oh, you are a savior, i just want to hug you. I'm telling you I spent an hour trying to find his recipe. It is really awesome. Oh, it's the second one, not pretzel, I'm sure it is probably also good. everything he makes sounds and looks good, though I obviously have not tried "everything", he makes, altogether he is a cool guy, like him a lot.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :winkiss:

Last edited:
Oh, you are a savior, i just want to hug you. I'm telling you I spent an hour trying to find his recipe. It is really awesome. Oh, it's the second one, not pretzel, I'm sure it is probably also good. everything he makes sounds and looks good, though I obviously have not tried "everything", he makes, altogether he is a cool guy, like him a lot.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :winkiss:

You are very welcome, CharlieD.

The recipe seems to be one we would enjoy also.
Saving it to make sometime this winter. :)

Ross

Oh Larry! you, sir, have outdone yourself!

That Wellington, I gotta do it. Gonna start copying and taking down your notes today.

The Lasagna, very accurate description :LOL::ROFLMAO: But does sound delish, so am writing that one down as well.
I'm not a big fan of lasagna and although I am certainly not a vegetarian I am a believer in more vegie than meat on the tables. (I don't always do it... but I believe in it :rolleyes: )

I pretty much followed the directions from that link.
I already had caramelized onions in the freezer. I just cooked them down a bit more so minimal moisture.

The spinach I sautéed with garlic, and also made sure they were kinda squeezed to get rid of most the moisture.

I marinated the mushrooms with garlic and salt.

I probably could have cooked it 5 minutes less ( bottom just starting to darken a bit. Not burnt but close).

The first cut is the best cut cause the end of the pastry dough holds it together . Each additional cut you have to support the insides so they dont fall out.

Letting it cool a bit before cutting may make a difference .

I think it would even be better if made individual one person portions then a whole loaf.

All in all, a good recipe , but the best part is the puff pastry, I love that stuff.

The first cut is the best cut cause the end of the pastry dough holds it together . Each additional cut you have to support the insides so they dont fall out.

I think it would even be better if made individual one person portions then a whole loaf.

All in all, a good recipe , but the best part is the puff pastry, I love that stuff.

I have done that with Beef Wellington. Came across a recipe for individual servings and it was great.

Think that's a great idea and probably what I will do.

I started the Cranberry Jell-O® Salad, but Mom calls it Mold ... that explains why I could never find a recipe for it online!

IMG_1078.jpg

... and yes, we use Cranberry flavored Jell-O®,
I found it online ;)

IMG_1080.jpg

We couldn't find ANY crushed Pineapple called for in this recipe,
but I did have chunks in my outdoor pantry ... chop chop chop ... done!

IMG_1081.jpg

Now we wait :clap:

I pretty much followed the directions from that link.
I already had caramelized onions in the freezer. I just cooked them down a bit more so minimal moisture.

The spinach I sautéed with garlic, and also made sure they were kinda squeezed to get rid of most the moisture.

I marinated the mushrooms with garlic and salt.

I probably could have cooked it 5 minutes less ( bottom just starting to darken a bit. Not burnt but close).

1st bold- I think that would be a good idea.

2nd bold- I so agree about puff pastry. I use a lot of it. My most recent kick is ham and cheese sandwiches. Better than bread.

Ross

Last edited:
I have done that with Beef Wellington. Came across a recipe for individual servings and it was great.

Think that's a great idea and probably what I will do.

Can you share the recipe?

Back
Top Bottom