2023 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Valentine's Day @Aunt Bea . I made pancakes 2 days ago, whole wheat, and I substituted in some oatmeal into them too.

I'm baking whole wheat bread today. 2 large loaves. King Arthur has a Baking cookbook where they did taste tests on WW bread made with and without a T of orange juice/loaf. The bread made with it was more liked than the bread made without it. The orange flavor was not detectable but it was found tastier. Once I started adding it to my WW bread I'm hooked. We do like it better.

KatyCooks, I have had several recipes for coffee flavours and they all called for Expresso Granules. In the end I bought a jar and have not been disappointed. It keeps, I've had the jar for a couple of years now and it is fine.
I hope you can find some, here I got it by Nestle's "Gold Expresso".
I couldn't find Espresso granules, but I found some "Intense" instant coffee granules which did the trick! Had very good comments from my workmates! :)

I tried out a new-to-me Danish recipe for no-knead spelt buns. It worked quite well. I'll have to try again and watch the timing better. I think I left them a minute or three too long. They were very crusty and very good. I have the last two in a plastic bag to try to soften that crust a bit.

I made half a recipe for 8 buns. I cut the dough into four pieces and cut two of those into two pieces each. Here's the two that are left.

Attachments

• No Knead Spelt Buns.jpg
    No Knead Spelt Buns.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 4
Are you turning into a baker, @Kathleen? :w00t:
Only if I don't have to measure...which I have to do when baking. It makes me flustered that I need to "cream the sugar and butter, etc." I just want to dump it in, blend and go. Also the precise timing in the oven. I'm striving to develop more patience for it. I did love the decorating using my edible markers! That was a lot of fun. And well, they were very tasty. So.......um.....maybe I will bake again. ;)

Less yeast, more salt, and more water. The only ingredients are flour, salt, yeast and water! The high altitude recipe I am using does not call for nearly enough water and I don't know why. Maybe my humidity is way low? I'm fudging with adding almost 1/2 cup of water extra, for only 3 1/4 cups flour.

Less yeast, more salt, and more water. The only ingredients are flour, salt, yeast and water! The high altitude recipe I am using does not call for nearly enough water and I don't know why. Maybe my humidity is way low? I'm fudging with adding almost 1/2 cup of water extra, for only 3 1/4 cups flour.
I think it's the low humidity. Flour sucks up a surprising amount of water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom