3 days pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice, Charlie! Will have to give this a try. I'm trying to envision pickles made without vinegar, what do they taste like? I don't think I've ever had them.

Last edited:
Imagine this all your life you've been eating something and were told that this is how.... (Fill in the blank) in this case pickles should taste:( . And then one day you taste the real thing :), and of course the real thing is better, at least in this case, and you are like wow...... :chef:;)

In Russian there are two different words for pickles with or without vinegar, the process though similar chemically is completely different. The nice thing about these pickles you can make just a small jar. All the ingredients are approximate, except salt. But salt is cheap and so is water you can make exact mixture and just use what you need and dump the rest. If you do not have leaves do not worry either.

Charlie, my dill pickle recipe is close to yours. Mine is just 1/4 cup coarse salt to 4 cups distilled water poured over the cucumbers, dill and garlic. Its the only way I ever had pickles for years. Mmmmmmm. I put up 16 quart jars on Sunday.

Charlie, my dill pickle recipe is close to yours. Mine is just 1/4 cup coarse salt to 4 cups distilled water poured over the cucumbers, dill and garlic. Its the only way I ever had pickles for years. Mmmmmmm. I put up 16 quart jars on Sunday.

Sounds the same, all the extras are put are really optional.

Thanks for bumping this thread. I'm going to try making some this year.

:LOL: I wrote that in 2013.

I finally got around to trying out this recipe. It worked really well and I have been enjoying these pickles. This was my first time making a fermented pickle, so it was like magic. Now, I'm going to try some other vegis.

:LOL: I wrote that in 2013.

I finally got around to trying out this recipe. It worked really well and I have been enjoying these pickles. This was my first time making a fermented pickle, so it was like magic. Now, I'm going to try some other vegis.

I am glad it worked, and I am glad you liked it.

I tried it for the first time this year too :)
I had been meaning to try it for years. I'm always looking for new pickle recipes .

It came out very well ,and will now be one of my ' Go to " recipes to make each year during cucumber season.

I made 6 gallons this year. My daughter is home this year, she prefers the pickles. I prefer the pickled tomatoes. so for her i made more. Tomatoes I will make some time in October.
One thing i have to say, pickles are crazy expensive this year.
Will have to plant them myself next year.

This sounds great, thanks for the link GG. If I get into a new place this is going to happen for sure. Like Dawluver, don't think I've ever had, or at least not been aware of what they were. Somehow I think I'd remember?
Charlie, what great testimonials for this recipe!
and I agree, great instructions and pictures for this tutorial.

This sounds great, thanks for the link GG. If I get into a new place this is going to happen for sure. Like Dawluver, don't think I've ever had, or at least not been aware of what they were. Somehow I think I'd remember?
Charlie, what great testimonials for this recipe!
and I agree, great instructions and pictures for this tutorial.
If you've had kimchi or sauerkraut, the flavor is similar.

Well, strange as it may seem, I love sauerkraut, but disliked, was not impressed at all, the one and only time I had kimchi.

Don't think it was hot peppers, don't mind them, just a strange taste I could wrap my brain around. Especially after listening to everyone else wax droolingly about it. ;) :whistling :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom