6-16-17 Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I didn't see one for this evening and even though it's late, thought I'd go ahead and start one. Been off the computer most of the day. :)

I had a bowl of cottage cheese topped with fresh pineapple, a deviled egg, fresh strawberries, watermelon, and 2 dill pickles. Not much of a dinner, but it's been hot today and all I wanted was something cold.

What did y'all have this evening? :chef:

I rubbed a couple of pork sirloin steaks with cajun seasoning and grilled them. We had Spanish rice as a side.

Normally I let Kayelle post so I know what I am having for dinner. Today I hunted and gathered at our local supermarket.
They had a sale on rib eye steaks and filets. I know all the butchers there, and picked out 4 beautiful 1 inch thick rib eye steaks. I asked the butcher to cut me a couple of 2 inch thick filets. They were beautiful! I also asked for some strips of thick bacon to wrap them.
Well, Kayelle outdid herself tonight. the filets were cooked perfectly, and I made a salad of our first tomato from our little garden, avocado, purple onion, and chives, We sprinkled olive oil and balsamic vinegar on the salads and they were fantastic!

Today was probably the last cool day we'll eke out from Mom Nature, so I made use of the ham bone and most of the last of the ham and made ham-and-15 bean soup. Started it last night, finished it off when we came home from a Lowe's run. Drizzly and 60 for weather, soup for supper. It doesn't get much better than that. :yum:

Long, long day of work. Still have more to do, but it can wait till tomorrow. I was in an area with lots of Taquerias, so grabbed a few for a quick lunch. I am hydrating for dinner. I spend the day shooting outside in 97-degree heat.

CD

img_1514916_0_452810e9f9a438ef9d29a2e8f3f3cb8c.jpg

This is the third time (and recipe) were I've tried a Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry.

I admit that I have never had it in a restaurant. So I never really had a base line to compare to. I didn't care for the first two attempts and I don't really care for this last one either... I just never realized how sweet it is.

Of the 3, I like this recipe from Canadian Living Magazine the best (spicier! yum!) But in the end still too sweet. I get taken in by the pictures of that gorgeous beef and shiny broccoli... sigh :(

I can't help it - sweet is for dessert, savory is for the main.

Dragn, Chef John just did a oyster sauce beef and (charred) broccoli video. You should check that one out. That's my go-to recipe now. Without the broccoli.

I was at Fred Meyer last week and they had some sandwich rolls on sale, so I bought those, put them into separate freezer bags and stuck them in the freezer. OMG - these things are as light as feathers. I never did see the name on the bag and now I have no idea what I bought, but they're fantastic.

So I was up all night and finally drifted off to sleep this morning just as they were starting to test the fire alarms in the building. I finally got to sleep at noon and woke up at 5pm. I decided I didn't want to cook and used one of the rolls to make a turkey ham sandwich with bacon and cheese for supper tonight. I'm seriously debating on eating another one.

img_1514920_0_452810e9f9a438ef9d29a2e8f3f3cb8c.jpg

This is the third time (and recipe) were I've tried a Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry.

I admit that I have never had it in a restaurant. So I never really had a base line to compare to. I didn't care for the first two attempts and I don't really care for this last one either... I just never realized how sweet it is.

Of the 3, I like this recipe from Canadian Living Magazine the best (spicier! yum!) But in the end still too sweet. I get taken in by the pictures of that gorgeous beef and shiny broccoli... sigh :(

I can't help it - sweet is for dessert, savory is for the main.

Don't use a recipe next time. You cant make food look like in the magazines. they style those pics in very unatural ways. Even brush foods with glue and jelly etc. Gross.
I make my beef and broccoli simply. Just stirfry beef strips in a bit of oil with garlic, ginger, fresh chillies and soy sauce. I steam my broccoli and add at the end to keep the bright colour. Sometimes I add some sesame seeds or chopped cashew nuts for crunch.

LOL, thanks Snip 13! I'm not trying to make it look like the magazines, just make it taste like the magazine makes us think it will taste like! Broccoli and Beef don't look like they should taste sweet! :LOL:

My brother was a photographer and although his specialty was not food I am well aware of a lot of the 'tricks of the trade' for food. (yechy)

LOL, thanks Snip 13! I'm not trying to make it look like the magazines, just make it taste like the magazine makes us think it will taste like! Broccoli and Beef don't look like they should taste sweet! :LOL:

My brother was a photographer and although his specialty was not food I am well aware of a lot of the 'tricks of the trade' for food. (yechy)

Pleasure. Gathered as much lol. This way is not sweet, also not a sweet food fan.

...This is the third time (and recipe) were I've tried a Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry...
I have a great recipe for beef and broccoli stir-fry somewhere in my small continent of recipes. IF I find it, I'll post it for you. I copied it onto a recipe card (I think) and kept the page from the magazine (I think) and might be able to locate it by the end of the year. Not sweet, nicely flavored, and thickens up just right.

I have had beef and broccoli in Chinese restos. Sometimes it was mild. Sometimes it was spicy hot. It was never sweet.

Yesterdays dinner:

Honey ham, cucumbers & tomatoes, cinnamon raisin bagel thin with strawberry cream cheese and sliced strawberries.

Last night's supper: TJ's chili-lime chicken burgers, peas, red cabbage slaw.

The red cabbage slaw was just red cabbage, chow-chow, and mayonnaise. Chow chow is a southern vegetable relish slightly tangier and spicier than regular pickle relish. The stronger taste stands up well to the red cabbage.

We went to a neighborhood potluck party last night. I made crostini with homemade bread topped with honey-sweetened ricotta, with a bit of Penzeys Pie Spice mixed in, and fruit and garnished it with mint from my garden. Pork barbecue, potato salad, Greek tortellini salad and spinach salad with shrimp were some of the dishes other people brought.
0616171913a_HDR.jpg

Craig bought a 5 pound tub of ricotta at Restaurant Depot when we last made shells. Two 9x9 pans stuffed full of shells only used about a quarter of it, so I have been looking for recipes to use it up. We had a pasta dish of chicken chunks, sliced mushies, bacon, onion, garlic, basil, with a sauce made with ricotta, chicken broth, cream, and parm. It was pretty good, kind of like an Alfredo.

I ordered pizza and timed it just right for TB coming home for his break (which he always does on Fridays). The pizza arrived at the exact same time as his text message that they put another run on in the opposite direction and he wouldn't be home. I enjoyed mine and his is waiting for him in the fridge.

They are both on gluten-free crust (we finally found a place that makes good ones and cooks them properly).

Mine - garlic sauce, mushrooms, red onion, gluten-free Italian sausage, black olives and lots of Mozza cheese. (Okay, I blew the non-dairy part)

TB's - tomato sauce, bacon, ham, pineapple and both cheddar and Mozza cheeses

I ordered pizza and timed it just right for TB coming home for his break (which he always does on Fridays). The pizza arrived at the exact same time as his text message that they put another run on in the opposite direction and he wouldn't be home. I enjoyed mine and his is waiting for him in the fridge.

They are both on gluten-free crust (we finally found a place that makes good ones and cooks them properly).

Mine - garlic sauce, mushrooms, red onion, gluten-free Italian sausage, black olives and lots of Mozza cheese. (Okay, I blew the non-dairy part)

TB's - tomato sauce, bacon, ham, pineapple and both cheddar and Mozza cheeses
I've never heard of Italian sausage with flour in it.

Back
Top Bottom