7/6/2019 - Cherry Pit Spitting Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Yes, there really is such a thing as a Cherry Pit Spitting Championship, and it's recognized by the Library of Congress' American Folklife Center.

Michigan: International Cherry Pit Spitting Championship (Local Legacies: Celebrating Community Roots - Library of Congress)

It occurs the first Saturday in July at Tree-Mendus Fruit in Eau Claire, MI.

International Cherry Pit Spitting Day, first Saturday in July at Holiday Insights

Here are some tips on how to spit a cherry pit like a pro.

https://www.wsj.com/video/how-to-sp...pro/30F5896D-DF3A-4959-A5A5-AE740EBAF06C.html

Back when I was a kid we had watermelon seed spitting competitions at family gatherings. Sadly, this is a thing of the past, as only seedless watermelons are now commercially available.

As thunderstorms are forecast for the afternoon and evening, I can't count on grilling. Tonight's dinner will be a cashew chicken stir fry.

It's our wedding anniversary (22 years), so the plan is to go out for supper. Stirling got a visual migraine. We'll see how that goes and, if necessary, go out for supper tomorrow night instead.

It's our wedding anniversary (22 years), so the plan is to go out for supper. Stirling got a visual migraine. We'll see how that goes and, if necessary, go out for supper tomorrow night instead.

Happy Anniversary to you, TL and Stirling.

Happy Anniversary, taxlady and Sterling.. :)

Dinner for us will be IP cube steak w/mushroom gravy, stuffing and steamed broccoli..

Will finish the chocolate pie later..

Ross

DD#1 ordered pork mei fun, chicken lo mein, scallion pancakes and pork fried rice for everyone to share. DD#2 ordered sushi for herself.

I had a small amount of that and a small amount of pasta salad.

As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought, I wonder if that's in Michigan [emoji38] We had a cherry tree in the backyard of my parents' first house. Love them.

We'll be grilling some chicken thighs and corn on the cob tonight. Probably some veggies on the grill, too. Or salad. Haven't decided yet.

Pork tenderloin with peach mustard sauce and a raw zucchini salad with blackberry dressing.

Attachments

• 2019-07-06 18.46.22.jpg
    2019-07-06 18.46.22.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Stirling was feeling some better, but not 100% and the weather was threatening a thunderstorm, so we had supper at home.

I made a large salad (Boston lettuce, green crisp lettuce, spinach, carrots, celery, red onion, and garlic scapes) and we had it topped with leftover chicken tika, feta, and ranchoid dressing. There was a bottle of Henkell Trocken to go with that. There may be mango or strawberries and whipped cream for dessert. Neither of us has room at the moment.

Happy Anniversary to you and Stirling, taxy! I hope he feels better and that you can celebrate at a restaurant soon.

I made mixed greens (spinach, romaine, and iceburg) lightly dressed (because we don't want to have naked greens), sprinkled a little shredded mozzarella cheese over the top, and striped the greens with carrots, chicken, corn, Persian cukes, radish, olives, and shrimp. Scattered grape tomatoes and hard cooked eggs across the top...and ate it. :yum:
IMG_20190706_202056678_HDR.jpg

Green leaf lettuce and kale.
Tomatoes.
A mix of mung beans and lentils.
A mix of pinto, green, black beans, and corn.
Small cuts of broccoli.

All into a main dish salad. With tomato dressing.

Last Night's Shrimp Alfredo and Grilled Yellow Squash, which I'm becoming quite fond of ... (Olive Oil and Garlic Powder)

The peas were a new addition, for me, to the Sauce... worked out well ...

Shrimp Alfredo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom