7/9/2019 - Cow Appreciation Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were going to try out ba'corn because we are getting some of the ingredients with our produce+ basket today. But, the have informed me that there was an oops with my order and there won't be any heavy cream in the box. Well, I guess we will try out the "Texas pork burgers" that are our free gift this week.

The plan is to grill a couple pork chops with Penzeys Frozen Pizza Seasoning and top them with a basil sauce made with peach white balsamic vinegar. Caprese salad with homegrown basil and a tomato from the Feed & Seed store on the side. We have a lot of baby tomatoes out there, and have picked a few chocolate cherry tomatoes, but it's coming slowly this year.

We were going to try out ba'corn because we are getting some of the ingredients with our produce+ basket today. But, the have informed me that there was an oops with my order and there won't be any heavy cream in the box. Well, I guess we will try out the "Texas pork burgers" that are our free gift this week.

Taxi, if you have some canned evaporated milk, I think it would work with that recipe.

Taxi, if you have some canned evaporated milk, I think it would work with that recipe.

I don't think I actually have any evaporated milk, but I prefer to follow the recipe more closely on the first try.

I'm not feeling so great, so we are just scrounging supper tonight. There's lots of leftovers.

We had salads, cajun seasoned shrimp and grits, and fresh corn off the cob. Oh, and a little MLB All Star Game from CLEEEveland. [emoji813]
IMG_20190709_202826427_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I did another vegetarian meal, as my cow appreciation. It was the first "raw tomato sauce" pasta of the season, which is something that I make as soon as I begin to harvest enough tomatoes (after the lentil salad, which has less tomatoes). The original recipe was the simplest one, which is what I start with every year - simply 1 1/2 lbs diced tomatoes, 4 minced garlic (I always use garlic just harvested), 1/4-1/2c EVOO, a LOT of torn up basil, salt, and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper, all mixed together. Then 1 lb of pasta is cooked, drained very well, then mixed with the tomatoes. Something that I look forward to getting every July - once I get enough tomatoes, and got the garlic out of the ground! I also make variations of this all summer, with various olives added, capers, anchovies, and other seasonings, but I always start with the simple version. Friends check my fridge when they come in the house, to see which version may be in there!

Something that I did today, which I usually do, to improve the nutrition of these white pasta dishes, was put a drained and rinsed can of cannellini beans, and this time some spelt grains, cooked in the IP. These I drop in the pasta at the very end of cooking, mix, and drain. This I usually make a double recipe for.

Last edited:
Leftover non-cheese cauliflower macaroni, leftover spaghetti sauce with whole wheat pasta. Corn on the cob.

Dh got his lipids checked this morning since his mild heart attack in april. Cholesterol:120 mg/dL, LDL 69.

Unbelievably wonderful! Yay, him, Yay, us.

I decided not to eat any cow in appreciation of last nights steak, but didn't go as far as dressing up as a cow for a free, bland, greasy chicken sandwich.

It is also taco Tuesday, so I made some grilled chicken fajita style tacos.

CD

We had rigatoni pasta with tomato sauce topped with fresh grated cheese.

No pictures. Had BLT sandwiches with roasted beets. Used good whole grains crusty sandwich bread. First, cooked some bacon in a roasting pan in my grill that's my "summer oven". Toasted the bread on the grill. Rubbed fresh raw garlic on the bread. Used pesto as the spread for the bread. Then put lettuce, bacon, sliced NJ tomatoes, and some cheddar cheese on the bread. Mm, good.

Back
Top Bottom