A Blanket Ban on Chopped Romaine Lettuce in the USA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Produce vendors can make a lot of money when something like this happens..the price of romaine will go up, then the price of leaf and every other type of lettuce will go up..funny, how their cost of production hasn't changed but they just "have" to jack the price up..

If we just refuse to buy it, the price will come down PDQ

Produce vendors can make a lot of money when something like this happens..the price of romaine will go up, then the price of leaf and every other type of lettuce will go up..funny, how their cost of production hasn't changed but they just "have" to jack the price up..

+1 I agree.

I feel the same way about gas prices. When crude goes up it seems the price of gas goes up within hours. Even though the gas in the gas stations tanks were purchased at the lower price. :ermm:

While I agree, to an extent, I also must point out that crops have to be destroyed, fields left fallow (in many instances), etc.. Takes a long time to regain the trust of the public and distributors..

Farming isn't all "grow, harvest and go party".. In the old days, a bad crop could destroy a family farm business..Big farming concerns have tainted the public perception of the produce industry..

Ross

While I agree, to an extent, I also must point out that crops have to be destroyed, fields left fallow (in many instances), etc.. Takes a long time to regain the trust of the public and distributors..

Farming isn't all "grow, harvest and go party".. In the old days, a bad crop could destroy a family farm business..Big farming concerns have tainted the public perception of the produce industry..

Ross
I don't disagree one bit. My frustration is every other producer and food supplier in North America who takes advantage of somebody's misfortune and jacks their prices up in the name of supply and demand, even though they haven't incurred any extra costs or hardships in their own operations..

Last edited:
I did? I see it there :ermm:
I was referring to YOUR part of the post, not the copy you posted below. Cuz, you know, some people read just the first paragraph and skip the rest because it's TLDR (To Long, Didn't Read). ;) Sorry if I confused. I say let's hug and make up, and share a bottle of wine. Rosé, right? :)

The Yuma AZ romaine in question has been recalled and pulled from the shelves. The warnings are mostly for those that purchased romaine before the time of the recall.

I was referring to YOUR part of the post, not the copy you posted below. Cuz, you know, some people read just the first paragraph and skip the rest because it's TLDR (To Long, Didn't Read). ;) Sorry if I confused. I say let's hug and make up, and share a bottle of wine. Rosé, right? [emoji2]
Right! {{{CG}}} ::cheers!::

I don't disagree one bit. My frustration is every other producer and food supplier in North America who takes advantage of somebody's misfortune and jacks their prices up in the name of supply and demand, even though they haven't incurred any extra costs or hardships in their own operations..
+1... I agree..
The consumer always pays more for instances which have little to do with the original problem.. I suppose this is the American way.. :ermm:

Ross

All I can say I am glad it is not Passover time. One time a year when it sort of requirement to eat lettuce, and though it could be any lettuce 99.99% of the time people use romaine, and pretty much only time a year when I do eat lettuce. Otherwise I hate the stuff.

I was shocked to see Romaine at Trader Joe's of all places!! For crying out loud, they didn't get the memo? There were no signs of any kind. It was just weird but I was in a hurry and didn't ask.

I was shocked to see Romaine at Trader Joe's of all places!! For crying out loud, they didn't get the memo? There were no signs of any kind. It was just weird but I was in a hurry and didn't ask.

I just called the store and they said it isn't from Arizona. I said a sign would be a good idea then!!! I still won't buy it....my trust goes just so far.
It's sad that all romaine farmers are paying for this! Produce bags should be labeled where it's grown..not just "product of USA".

Last edited:
DH brought home a beautiful bag of Dole fancy salad mix yesterday. Of course, the first ingredient was romaine. Grown in the US, but no state of origin. Back to the store it went.

Last edited:
Food poisoning is a lot more prevalent than most people think, because most people think they have a "stomach bug" and don't associate it with something they ate, especially if it happens several days after they ate the contaminated food. I never, ever buy pre-cut bagged salad.

How salad became a major source of food poisoning in the US
The latest E. coli outbreak in romaine lettuce is part of a larger trend.

Some 48 million people (one in six Americans) get sick from the food every year. Of those, about 128,000 wind up in hospitals and 3,000 die. And the foods most frequently implicated here are probably not what you think.

According to a 2015 estimate from the CDC, nearly half of all food-borne illnesses are caused by produce. Meanwhile, dairy and eggs cause 20 percent, meat and poultry are the culprits in only 22 percent of cases, and fish and shellfish just 6 percent.

A 2013 analysis by CDC of food poisoning cases between 1998 and 2008 found that leafy vegetables — salads and the like — caused almost a quarter of all food poisonings. That was more than any other food product, including dairy and poultry. Leafy vegetables were also the second most common cause of food poisoning-related hospitalizations.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/sc...26/17282378/romaine-lettuce-recall-ecoli-yuma

GG, I was just going to post a link to that same article!
Give me a day, I'll forget that it's here, and I'll make a big deal about something new to read. ;) :ROFLMAO:

My take-away is that it's safer to eat meat than to be a vegetarian. :mrgreen:

GG, I was just going to post a link to that same article!
Give me a day, I'll forget that it's here, and I'll make a big deal about something new to read. ;) :ROFLMAO:

My take-away is that it's safer to eat meat than to be a vegetarian. :mrgreen:

Yep... meat and cooked veggies.... add in some potatoes and you've got me. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom