A Cook's Heaven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Once upon a time, a long time ago (OK, so it was 2012, so not so long...) Himself and I were in Philly. I had read about Fante's Kitchen Shop, wanted to visit Fante's, and did. I wandered wide-eyed, mostly because so much was crammed into too little space and it was hard to keep track of "stuff". Still walked out with a few small purchases.

Fast forward to now. On the way home from Charlotte, NC, Himself and I stayed in Carlisle, PA. While walking down the hallway to the front desk I passed a window. Looking out, I saw a beige building with giant letters painted on the side that said "The Kitchen Shoppe". Kitchen shop? Always accommodating, Himself tracked down the store and pulled into the parking lot. Big! Organized! And delicious smelling...because they were currently conducting a class in their in-store demonstration kitchen. I wish we lived closer to Carlisle, but it's probably a good thing we don't. However, if you are ever heading through PA, it would be worth the time planning a stop along the way in Carlisle, near Harrisburg. Lots of fun! And this time I managed to limit myself to just one new technology frying pan...

Sounds like fun. I, too, have been charmed by Fantes and have purchased a number of items from them.

Good thing I no longer have the opportunity to visit the Carlisle, PA site. My late mother-in-law lived very near there.

Dangerous places, yes?

Where were they when I was doing my trips!

Cooking supply stores.
Book stores.
Material stores.
Hardware/Tool stores.
Grocery Stores.

I have been forced by my children to wear an ankle bracelet that sounds the alarm every time I walk into one of the above.

I love and have been in similar kitchen stores.

Back in the 90's one was to open in the town we lived in.(Monterey, CA) I applied for a position as a demo cook and was accepted.

A month or so before opening, something happened ( I believe lease related) and the store was cancelled. I was sad that happened.

Ross

When I lived in Philly I made multiple visits to Fante's while strolling the Italian market.

Unfortunately, a lot of the kitchen stores by me are slowly disappearing. Need to go to a department store to see things in person now.

Never heard of the Kitchen Shoppe, but Im often passing through PA and always looking for places to stop and stretch out my feet. Thanks for the tip. Already added it to my " places I want to go'. list

Thanks for the heads up

I love and have been in similar kitchen stores.

Back in the 90's one was to open in the town we lived in.(Monterey, CA) I applied for a position as a demo cook and was accepted.

A month or so before opening, something happened ( I believe lease related) and the store was cancelled. I was sad that happened.

Ross

How disappointing, that would have been interesting and fun!

Unfortunately, a lot of the kitchen stores by me are slowly disappearing. ...

Thanks for the heads up

Unfortunately even big stores disappear. Get swallowed by corporations. We had this awesome local restaurant supply store that was open to public. It was over 100 years old. Gone. Actually I'm surprised it lasted that long. :(

I never went to Carlisle, but back when I used to go to the Italian Market on a regular basis, I stopped in Fante's on a regular basis. They were even smaller in the beginning, before that section on the right - the coffee and knife part - was added on, so imagine how packed it was before! Eventually, about all I had to go in for was getting things for gifts, or others with me, or to replace things, but every once in a while I would find something new!

We don't have anything like that around here either. But I love it when I happen upon such a place. It's actually a good thing such places are far from me. It saves me from myself, K-Girl. [emoji1]

Back
Top Bottom