A critically ill friend, and one of Minneapolis' Finest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So sorry to hear this terrible news, Big Dog.
Thank you for sharing it though. I've often thought about him and his family.
One only wonders ... and frets, why this happens to good people.
Prayers continued for you and your friend and his loved ones.

Thanks, y'all.

I spent about an hour and 45 minutes with Kirb and his wife, Millie. A number of other visitors came and went as well, including a good number of cops. As I understand it, there are one or two more things the doctors can try or check, but they are not at all optemistic. I think their doing it is two fold. First, they can say they tried absolutely everything. Second, branching off from that, they can comfort Millie that they did indeed try absolutely everything.

While it was good to see him, it was hard. In reality it likely was the last time, and he wasn't at all the same as to tough yet tender hearted cop I remember. Even driving to the hospital I went by a section of road where I vividly remember him and a couple of the other motor cops (motorcycle) were parked running traffic radar. It was a good memory. Now he's hooked up to countless machines and has countless wires and tubes almost creating a spider's web effect. He was able to open his eyes, and to what I could tell was able to see and recognize those that came (in the brief seconds he was awake).

I just learned that MPD lost another officer earlier this week, to brain cancer. This has been a hard week, with the 9th being the 1 year memorial of Officer Mark Bedard (another friend of mine and many others) who was killed in the line of duty, Officer Greg Knoll (brain cancer) who passed on Monday or Tuesday, and now Kirb seeming to be knocking on Heaven's door. It sure makes one re-evaluate the sanctity of life.

We are all here praying for you all, and we are your support my Friend. Hugs to you all James

Attachments

• grillofmydreams2.jpg
    grillofmydreams2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 176
I am so sorry for all the heck you and your second family have been going through this past year. My prayers are for you and your families!!
img_725029_0_94120f3049bc6f816a728c5fff452587.jpg

Thank you for sharing your grief. Your loss is felt and supported with my prayers. At time like this we need inner strength to be able to continue. Must count this relationship as blessing that you knew such a great person. I also feel that, even though someone seems sedated with medication, in my own heart I think they know you are there. being near him was all that he would want. May t he coming days be one of appreciation and understanding for his family, also you and your family. Accept my sympathy on your loss.

Hi BigDog.... I'm with you in thoughts and prayers. Sorry it has taken me so long to express this.

BigDog, I just found this article. Is this true. Did he really lose his job too? Along with all theses others.
OMG. How much more can a family take? Is the community helping financially in any way? Sure hope so.

Minneapolis Park Police Layoffs Force 17 Officers Off Job Last Edited: Thursday, 28 Aug 2008, 10:32 PM CDT Created: Thursday, 28 Aug 2008, 8:22 PM CDT
photo_servlet
Minneapolis Park Police
forums
SideBar

Stories

'Going-Away Party' for Potential Loss of St. Paul Cops to 'BurbsVideos

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minneapolis Park Police's motto is to protect and serve people in the park. For a department that's small to begin with, it's about to get even smaller.

Because the department lost a lucrative contract, it says it can't afford to keep all of its officers. But one officer is being hit the hardest.

Officer Jeff Kirby is deathly ill, out on medical leave, when he learned he was on the list of layoffs. Kirby suffers from leukemia, his head is swollen from chemo treatments, and he's only 31-years-old.

Kirby and 16 other officers received letters in the mail informing them of the layoff. Other officers on the casualty list have worked for the city in one way or another for nearly two decades. The cuts are on a seniority basis, and come because the park board lost a hefty contract to provide security at public schools for the Minneapolis Police Department.

"Seeing that we are taking over the contract for schools, we're gonna try to merge some officers over at MPD and have them continue to work in schools so it's an easy transition," insists MPD Sgt. Jesse Garcia.

Parents who rely on the Park Police to protect their kids during leisure time are also concerned. "We want to send kids to a place where safe, go to place where there's not a lot violence where somebody's got an eye on them," says parent Mark Mask.

The Park Police Chief canceled an interview with FOX 9 Thursday, calling the issue "too sensitive."

you're making me cry........my son is now a cop and loves his job and he's taken so many drunks off the road....if he was in your friend's position I'd be kicking down doors.....find a sympathetic news reporter and go from there.......I know that someone out there will bring justice by media coverage whether the dept.. wants to talk or not.........just discussed this with my son and he totally agrees.........and it just doesn't have to be in your immediate area.........

Rest in peace my law enforcement brother, and friend.

It is with a sad heart I bring news of Officer Jeff Kirby passing on this morning. His family lost a loving and devoted relative, many (including myself) have lost a good friend, and the City of Minneapolis has lost one of it's true finest. He passed peacefully and surrounded by family. This was 2 days after his 32nd birthday.

Rest in peace, brother. See you some day on the other side.

:cry:

So sorry to hear that BD.... mpls can use all the good help they can get!

Hope you are doing ok, will pray for his family.

To me, good cops are like fireman, and I have the greatest respect for them. They are men and women who give of themselves, and often are called upon to put their own lives on the line for the welfare of others. My prayers certainly will include Officer Kirby's family, and those who knew and loved him. I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I just hope and pray that his loved ones have a strong belief in something that will help ease their grief. I believe in life after death, but know that not everyone does. My prayer for Officer Kirby is that he has such joy in meeting those that went before him that he has no time to rest in peace, but rather, that he will revel in the joy of re-aquaintance.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm very sorry to hear this. I am praying for his family and friends as they go through this time of loss.

Barbara

Thanks all. Kirb was a good man - a devoted husband, a loyal friend, and a street savvy yet tender hearted cop. I feel humbled and honored to not only have worked with him, but been considered a friend.

I don't think that police officers are needed for that particular duty in Heaven, but good luck trying to stop Kirb from tearing up the streets of gold on his dressed up Police Edition Harley.

Rest in peace my friend. You know Millie (and Sinatra, Kirb's precious dog) will be watched and well cared for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom