A New Canadian, eh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanitas

Senior Cook
Hello everyone! I come bearing gifts: :flowers:

I'm 26 years old and live in beautiful British Columbia, Canada with my fiance and three cats. I absolutely love cooking and collect recipes to the point of obsession.

I grew up with a mom who was always cooking new dishes. She rarely pulled out a recipe book, and instead whipped up meals with whatever she had on hand. A common dinner was "Mom Surprise" - which consisted of some sort of meat with veggies in a sauce. And it was never the same twice! I have inherited that "free-style" of cooking and am not afraid to substitute ingredients or tweak recipes.

My fiance is the complete opposite - not EXACTLY following a recipe makes him nervous and he usually just ends up asking me for help. So he is more than happy to sit back and give my "culinary prowess" free range in the kitchen. Which is just fine with me - to be honest, he can be a little annoying when I'm cooking since he's always asking things like "what are you doing? Why are you doing that? Well, what does the recipe say? Are you sure?!". :LOL:

Looking forward to browsing the site to learn some great new tips and recipes, while sharing my love of cooking with others who feel the same way!!!

We're being overun by Canadians!:ohmy::LOL:

Seriously, I live on the Canada border, in Sault Ste. Marie, MI, just south of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. I have a good many freinds just north of the river, and love the Canadian wilderness, just as I love the southern shore of Lake Superior.

You and I, we cook the same way, though I suspect I have just a few years head start on you.

Welcome to DC. You will love it here. There is a true feeling of community, and genuine respect for each other, except for those characters who reside in "Joisey";) (the man I'm referring to is my younger (by several years) twin brother in spirit, and birth date ("watch him folks, "cause he's a thouroughly dangerous man")).

Have fun, ask questions, share what you know. You're in good company.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Another BC'ite! I am a South Coaster. :clap: Welcome to DC!

Do you follow Top Chef (the American version)? Last night (though I watched it today) were the two BC episodes. I loved seeing Whistler and and Vancouver.

I look forward to hearing about your culinary forays and sharing ideas, etc.

I too like to cook the way you do, and am looking forward to hearing some of your successes. Welcome to DC. You'll like it here.

Welcome aboard! Pretty soon we'll outnumber the Americans on the board! Those recruitment posters must be working. ;)

Welcome aboard! Pretty soon we'll outnumber the Americans on the board! Those recruitment posters must be working. ;)
Alix, your weren't supposed to mention the posters, remember? Next thing you will be letting it slip about the "cash incentive" .....uh oops! :ohmy:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rocklobster said:
g'day. hows she goin'? got any butter tarts?

Butter tarts eh? Not sure of the exact measurements because I'm sitting backstage at work. However,
Take your favorite Pecan Pie recipe and substitute half of the white sugar with brown and 1/4 of the corn syrup with maple syrup. Then pour in tart shells instead of pie shell, add raisins or pecans or chocolate chips or nothing at all!
Cook for about half the time of a pie and you will be in Canadian Butter Tart heaven my friend.

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!

We're being overun by Canadians!:ohmy::LOL:
Not to worry, us Canadians aren't known for overrunning anything besides poutine shops and hockey stadiums..

Seriously, I live on the Canada border, in Sault Ste. Marie, MI, just south of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. I have a good many freinds just north of the river, and love the Canadian wilderness, just as I love the southern shore of Lake Superior.
The wilderness is one of the things that attracted my man and I to the small mountain town we currently live in. After both of us growing up in the prairies of Alberta, we needed a bit more wilderness in our lives.

You and I, we cook the same way, though I suspect I have just a few years head start on you.
I'm glad to see so many people here who share my style of cooking. My fiance swears I'm not normal (while devouring my latest dish haha).

Welcome to DC. You will love it here. There is a true feeling of community, and genuine respect for each other, except for those characters who reside in "Joisey";) (the man I'm referring to is my younger (by several years) twin brother in spirit, and birth date ("watch him folks, "cause he's a thouroughly dangerous man")).
I do believe I have seen this man you warn me of. I will proceed with caution ;)

Another BC'ite! I am a South Coaster. :clap: Welcome to DC!

Do you follow Top Chef (the American version)? Last night (though I watched it today) were the two BC episodes. I loved seeing Whistler and and Vancouver.

I look forward to hearing about your culinary forays and sharing ideas, etc.
I'm nestled in the Okanagan - but will be driving through your neck of the woods in a couple weeks, while on my way to see a concert in Victoria. To be honest, I'm most looking forward to grabbing some food from Vera's Burger!!

I catch the odd episode of Top Chef, but don't really follow too much television. Too bad, because I would've like to have seen BC in it. Always fun seeing familiar places on TV!!

Alix, your weren't supposed to mention the posters, remember? Next thing you will be letting it slip about the "cash incentive" .....uh oops! :ohmy:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
*shifty eyes* I promise I know nothing about the posters... I am here due to my own free will. Yes, free will and not the "incentive" and posters.

Butter tarts eh? Not sure of the exact measurements because I'm sitting backstage at work. However,
Take your favorite Pecan Pie recipe and substitute half of the white sugar with brown and 1/4 of the corn syrup with maple syrup. Then pour in tart shells instead of pie shell, add raisins or pecans or chocolate chips or nothing at all!
Cook for about half the time of a pie and you will be in Canadian Butter Tart heaven my friend.
Hmm, I might just have to give that a try. This site is paying off already!!

I'm nestled in the Okanagan - but will be driving through your neck of the woods in a couple weeks, while on my way to see a concert in Victoria. To be honest, I'm most looking forward to grabbing some food from Vera's Burger!!
We have a Vera's around the corner from us but I remember the original stand in English Bay - greatest beach food EVER! :yum: We go for a treat now and then and I reminisce!

Oh, wave as you go by! :LOL: And enjoy your concert!

I used to spend a lot of time in the Okanagan. I remember a certain little food truck (a trailer actually) that parked itself in Summerland near the beach. They had the best fries I ever tasted.

Last edited:
I have the ultimate Butter Tart recipe BTW! Been in the family for generations! Secret ingredient? Well, it wouldn't be secret if I told you now would it! :LOL:

But I am happy to post it if brib....um I mean asked! :rolleyes: But being a Canuck, Vanitas I am sure you have your own!

I have the ultimate Butter Tart recipe BTW! Been in the family for generations! Secret ingredient? Well, it wouldn't be secret if I told you now would it! :LOL:

But I am happy to post it if brib....um I mean asked! :rolleyes: But being a Canuck, Vanitas I am sure you have your own!

What? What? You have an ultimate butter tart and haven't told me? I mean not even before when I was allowed to eat things like that. And most especially now that I'm not allowed...how am I supposed to go against my diet if I don't have the ultimate things to eat and make it worth it?!?

What? What? You have an ultimate butter tart and haven't told me? I mean not even before when I was allowed to eat things like that. And most especially now that I'm not allowed...how am I supposed to go against my diet if I don't have the ultimate things to eat and make it worth it?!?
Get those training wheels on your bike and start peddling. I am sure by the time you get here you will be healthy enough to have just one ;)

Get those training wheels on your bike and start peddling. I am sure by the time you get here you will be healthy enough to have just one ;)

Heh!

Attachments

• pbbt.jpg
    pbbt.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 53
excuee me, ma'am. please step out of line.

are there you bags? did you pack them or did someone else? has anyone else besides you had access to your luggage?

we have reports of canadians smuggling in their dreadful geese into major u.s. cities, to eat our grass and poop on our pathways and parks.

rotten people, those.

lol, j/k.

welcome van.

go ahead, say it. oot and aboot.

oot, and aboot.

oh c'mon. say it say it say it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom