Aaaargh! My husband is SO picky!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thier1754

Head Chef
We took him to a Sushi restaurant last night -- the kind where the little dishes rotate through the store on a moving belt, and you pay at the end for the empty dishes you have stacked up. He complained right away that the place smelled like fish (duh!) and wouldn't eat anything. (He hates fish unless it's fillet of sole drowned in catsup or deep fried shellfish.) I finally ordered him some tempura shrimp and he ate that with a glass of beer. But the fun kinda went out of the evening. His whole family is like that..."What's this? What's in this? I don't eat that...I don't like those. The consistency's wrong...etc., etc." Is there any way to cure this? After 35 years, we're starting to travel now and then, but it's no fun with a picky eater. Takes the adventure out of the trip. :angry: :glare:

He just isn't going with the flow, Barbara has to kick me in the pants sometimes.:rolleyes: Men like to feel like they are in charge.:cool:

Hmmm...I guess I hadn't thought of it being a power issue...:dry: He's been very nice to me all day, so I think he knows I'm upset with him...:mad: Haven't gotten the bouquet of flowers, yet, however!!

Is there any way to cure this?

Yes, but since you love him a divorce would not be the right thing. :rolleyes:
Too bad the Virtual Cafe is.... well..... virtual. I LOOOVE sushi ofcourse and would be in heaven if I was with ya. Alas, there are no BBQ restraunts that have a conveyor belt. :LOL:
I feel for you sweetie! I have friends like that and I NEVER take them to a unique place, in fear they would drive me NUTS. Maybe you could both agree on a place thats fun before you go out?

Not everyone has the same taste and each has their likes and dislikes. At least he tasted something. I'll take lobster myself instead.

I feel your pain, sister I feel your pain......... my DH is/was a complainer until I told him just how much his words hurt me when I would go through the trouble to make a nice meal just to have him whine about it. As far as resturants go tell him to eat what he wants to but keep his opinions to HIMSELF!

IE; iffn ya can't say somtin nice.........don't say nuffin!

As far as resturants go tell him to eat what he wants to but keep his opinions to HIMSELF!

I disagree. I want to hear the opinions whether good or bad. If hes buggin you then make fun of him by calling him a wimp! I feel a strong relationship is based around understanding and giving your opinions feely.

Their, at least you got him to go in a sushi resturant! I can't even get my hubby to think about going to one. He hears the word sushi & automatically thinms "raw fish". It dosen't matter how many times I have tried to explain to him that all sushi isin't raw, he just won't go for it.:( He wants his meat, bread, & potatoes. So, I know how you feel!!

Tell him that sushi is the ONLY the name of the rice. And if he had any guts he would try wasabi and the cooked teriyaki salmon. When you goto a sushi bar they will take requests! :mrgreen: If you ask them to cook the salmon (or whatever other fish/seafood) they will. Plus you can ask them to to put in anything you desire... etc..... ITS FUUUUUN!!! :mrgreen: I love it!

I don't think it's a power issue at all.

I think he just is not willing to try something new. So many people were raised with a very narrow range of foods they were served. As a result, they grew up never having experienced a lot of different flavors.

This leads to wanting to stay in their safety zone where food is concerned. If you try something new, you may be disappointed and have "wasted" a meal.

I used to work with a guy who used to say, "If it doesn't 'moo', I won't eat it!"

I don't know what the answer is. If anyone knows it, tell me. My daughter has a BF who won't eat onions, garlic, olives, mushrooms, fish or beef cooked less than well done.

You know whenever Im dating a girl I make sure she's an eater. I dont care if she's skinny or heavy but girls who are afraid of food just kinda bug me. Likewise with the hubby... go to steakhouses with him and to the cool places with your foodie friends.

I am lucky. For my husband the more adventurous the better. His mother is Indonesian so he grew up eating non-Dutch food and Dutch food. My problem is keeping him interested. Our first argument was when he put ketchup on macaroni and cheese. He can't stand it. To me it one of the great comfort foods.

Cultural differences can be interesting! My husband is from a different country, but even families have their own culture. What and how you ate as a child carries through.

It is possible to break away.

pam

Why would you take a guy that doesn't like or eat fish to the sushi place. Of course he's going to be complaning. I completely understand him. Have to take a picky eater to the place you know he'll like. I know it's not fare to you, but agter 35 years i doubt you'll change anything, and i don't think it is a reason for divorce after 35 years.

I love sushi, myself. I moved here to Houston from California just over a year ago, and haven't had any since I moved. I think I'm about to expire from withdrawals!

My boyfriend is willing to try new things, but often doesn't like them. His son, age 13, on the other hand is literally the World's Pickiest Eater. He won't eat ANYTHING.

But, my BF did try sushi when he came out to California before I moved. To his credit, he tried 3 different kinds, actually put the whole piece in his mouth, chewed slowly and swallowed. Let's just say that the faces he made made me laugh so hard I cried, and even the sushi chef was laughing! :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately, he won't try it again, but at least he was nice about it!

I've read all of your replies -- what a lot of wisdom gathered in one place!! -- and I am now humbled. I will break the silence and let him know why I am upset (it was actually our son's favorite place and he was so excited to take us there, so I was disappointed more for him than for me) and we'll kiss and make up.

I was brought up to be polite and smile (sometimes through clenched teeth!) even when you're upset, hate the food, etc., whereas he, as a good French Canadian, lays it on the line and lets you know what he thinks! Different ways to be, that's all...

Thanks, everybody. Hey! Anybody want to go out for sushi???:)

<<...after 35 years i doubt you'll change anything, and i don't think it is a reason for divorce after 35 years.>>

I promise, CharlieD, I won't divorce him. :rolleyes: :)

Understand the situation entirely.

Have two BIL's that will not eat anything they had not eaten before they were ten years old.

Knew one of them only liked cheese pizza so we bought a double cheese, no pepperoni, no onion, no mushrooms, you get the idea. He wouldn't eat it; he likes cheese pizza, NOT extra cheese pizza.

The same BIL's wife made meatloaf with onion powder and he loved it. Then she made one with finely minced onions, and he wouldn't touch the stuff because he saw the onions.

The other one had cocktails and was shovelling onion rings into his mouth like they were going out of style. It was not until they got home that my SIL told him it was fried calamari. Rather than realize he had just tried something he enjoyed, he almost got ill.

That SIL loves to cook; unfortunately she can write the foods her husband will eat on a postage stamp.

Fortunately the other half of us who also does not like fish, will eat most other seafood so we never have a problem at most fish restaurants.

their, I feel your pain. One of my step-sons is extremely picky. He only wants to eat meat. He just picks at veggies and starch. I've tried begging, bribing, and cajoling him into eating the other parts of a meal, but he just doesn't want to eat it.

There's only a few things that I cook that he'll readily eat. Otherwise, he'll pick at it for about 30 minutes, then go and start making a PB & J. He did suprise me a few months, by asking to try some blackened tuna steak, and asking for more. But, it's meat.

Things are going to be really interesting this summer, when I start smoking stuff like chicken, brisket, etc., things he's never tried.

auntdot said:
Understand the situation entirely.

Have two BIL's that will not eat anything they had not eaten before they were ten years old.

Knew one of them only liked cheese pizza so we bought a double cheese, no pepperoni, no onion, no mushrooms, you get the idea. He wouldn't eat it; he likes cheese pizza, NOT extra cheese pizza.

The same BIL's wife made meatloaf with onion powder and he loved it. Then she made one with finely minced onions, and he wouldn't touch the stuff because he saw the onions.

The other one had cocktails and was shovelling onion rings into his mouth like they were going out of style. It was not until they got home that my SIL told him it was fried calamari. Rather than realize he had just tried something he enjoyed, he almost got ill.

That SIL loves to cook; unfortunately she can write the foods her husband will eat on a postage stamp.

Fortunately the other half of us who also does not like fish, will eat most other seafood so we never have a problem at most fish restaurants.
Wow, Aunt Dot and AllenMI! Those are mighty challenging eaters. I think it must become something so ingrained that they just can't break out. My son reminded me that you never marry someone with the expectation that they'll change. Good advice...That goes for the relatives, too!

Back
Top Bottom