? about tomatoes for green tomato relish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sadie33

Assistant Cook
My husband picked all the green tomatoes out of the garden last week. I can finally make the green tomato relish and now my tomatoes are pinkish. there are a few green ones, but are they still okay to use in the green tomato relish?

thanks

If they're pinkish then they are already starting to ripen. The taste and consistency will likely be different than a true green tomato. You could probably still make it, but the final product will likely be a little different than what you're used to.

I've actually never had it before. Guess I will go ahead and see how it comes out.

thanks

I have bought the pinkish ones at the grocery. When I cut into them, they were very green. I assumed the grocery had fogged them for quick ripen. The tomatoes tasted very tart.

I've actually never had it before. Guess I will go ahead and see how it comes out.

thanks
Hope it works out. Only time I ever had it was at a restaurant in Atlanta. I didnt know what it was at first, liked it, but couldn't put my finger on the taste. Then it hit me. I think the bigger issue would be the firmness. As long as they are firm and hold their consistency you should be fine. Even the pinker ones are tart, as mentioned above.

I had an old Italian friend who would cut the partially ripe ones up into 1/4 inch slices, then salt and Dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

You should be fine
I recently made green tomato chutney and some tomatoes were a bit pinkish.
All came out good and green.
I have a recipe somewhere that uses green and red tomatoes, or either. I can dig it out if you like

thanks, I'll use the recipe I have. I know I have all the ingredients needed. thanks though.

Back
Top Bottom