Adjust cooking time for dutch oven bread? Help!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

26love2cook

Assistant Cook
Hi.

I'm going to make a loaf of bread in a dutch oven. The max temperature for the dutch oven is 400 degrees F.

However, the recipe I'm using calls for the dutch oven to be at 425 degrees F.

The cooking time is: Bake 30 minutes with lid on, then 10 minutes with lid off (all at 425). I don't want to damage the dutch oven or undercook the bread.

How do I change the cooking time so that this works out?
This is the only dutch oven I have. I can't use something else. Thank you!

Edit: Yes this is a regular kitchen oven. Not coals in a pit.
I don't have a thermometer.

Last edited:
Are you baking in a kitchen oven? Not with coals in a pit?

A kitchen oven at 425°F shouldn't damage a cast-iron dutch oven. I've hung them over open fires. The bit about baking with the lid off is probably so that the top crust browns.

Give it a try and adjust your method according to the results.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

This is going to take a little experimenting and it would help if you have an instant-read thermometer. I would preheat the Dutch oven inside the oven at 400F and use the instructions you have. After the 40 minutes have elapsed, check the temperature of the bread. It should be at least 210F. If it's at that temperature, you can pull it out and let it rest for at least 30 minutes to finish cooking.

The temperature limit for the pot is likely to be for the handle on the lid. Is it a material other than cast iron?

If so, you can wrap it with two layers of foil to protect it. That's what I do with the knob on the lid of my Le Cruset. It works at 500ºF.

Hi I'm not sure I understand exactly.

Are you saying:
1. Place dutch oven in oven (empty) while it preheats at 400F
2. Place bread in dutch oven and cook bread at 400F for the full 40 minutes (30 min with lid 10 min without)
3. Turn off oven
4. Take dutch oven out.
5. Remove bread from dutch oven and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Correct?

It says it's "Hard-anodized aluminum"

So wrap the handle on the lid in 2 layers of foil and I can cook the bread at 425?? That's what you're saying?

Okay I checked and I think you're correct about the lid. I'll wrap the handle and try it at 425 F. Thank you so much!!!!

Okay I checked and I think you're correct about the lid. I'll wrap the handle and try it at 425 F. Thank you so much!!!!

According to that link, the handles on the other part of that Dutch oven also have the "Stay-cool, loop handles", so I would wrap those as well.

Hold on a sec. I think we all started out thinking you DO was cast iron. It's coated aluminum. That said, I think you'll be OK going 25ºF over the stated limit. I wouldn't bother with the foil.

Hold on a sec. I think we all started out thinking you DO was cast iron. It's coated aluminum. That said, I think you'll be OK going 25ºF over the stated limit. I wouldn't bother with the foil.

But, according to the picture in the link, the handles might be a different material, "Stay-cool, loop handles".

If they are also aluminium, then I agree they don't need to be covered. But, if they are a different material, then they might need protecting.

But, according to the picture in the link, the handles might be a different material, "Stay-cool, loop handles".

If they are also aluminium, then I agree they don't need to be covered. But, if they are a different material, then they might need protecting.

The entire pot and lid are oven safe to 400ºF. I'm thinking an extra 25ºF won't harm the pot or lid. Manufacturers tend to build in a safety margin to accommodate careless customers and inaccurate ovens.

Not being a cast iron pot could be a problem.

That/those recipes, I'm pretty sure, are designed for cast iron. Preheating that pot empty to such a high heat could warp it. Plus the glass lid.

Yes, I have, and use, complete glass casseroles with lids but rarely at that temperature and never empty.

Not being a cast iron pot could be a problem.

That/those recipes, I'm pretty sure, are designed for cast iron. Preheating that pot empty to such a high heat could warp it. Plus the glass lid.

Yes, I have, and use, complete glass casseroles with lids but rarely at that temperature and never empty.

I didn't even notice that the lid in the picture on that link is glass.

Back
Top Bottom