Advice on using an air fryer, cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Scored a big win at Goodwill today. Brand new, in box, air fryer and picked it up for a little over $20.00. Otherwise it has a $99.00 price tag. Yeah!

I'll read the instruction book tonight but I'd like to know if there is a cookbook anyone can recommend for a newbie with this appliance.

I'm gettin' with today's current appliances since I knocked it out of the park with an Instant Pot purchase on Amazon.

Katie, to be honest, I just use a search engine on the Internet for an idea on how or what to make in the Air Fryer.

To me, and I'm no expert, I think that anything that goes into the oven can go into an Air Fryer.

We had Hash Brown Patties this morning as part of our breakfast, better than McD's!
Alot of frozen items that you buy at the market now a days have instructions on the packaging "how to" in the Air Fryer.

IMHO, I think that there should be a category here at DC for Air Fryers, it has such a broad range of uses.

Katie

I've had my a/f for a couple of years now and find that its just a smaller oven, with convection capabilities. A bit of a learning curve but, simple to use.

I learn from FB sites, such as "Just Air Fryer Recipes". Lots of good information out there. :)

Ross

You can do an internet search for "Air Fryer Chart Times" or something similar. I find the chart useful and have one taped inside a cupboard door.

My first experiment was fried chicken. I cut potatoes and onions in to big pieces and placed them on the tray. Then I stuffed the chicken with herbs and a lemon, and put on the potato and onion bed. Then gave a good coating of home made barbecue sauce, and fried it. Turned out to be one of the best chicken dishes I ever made.

The air fryer is a glass container, with a lid with a halogen light and a fan attached to it. I think it's an air fryer. Not very sure though.

Air Fryer Cooking Times

Each a/f is different. Use chart as a guide only.

Attachments

• Air Fryer Cooking Chart.jpg
    Air Fryer Cooking Chart.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 34
Katie, which style of air fryer did you get? There is one style that has a drawer and another style that looks like a toaster oven, and in fact that's one of its features; imo, this style is more versatile. The drawer style doesn't toast. I'm not sure if it bakes or broils.

The air fryer is a glass container, with a lid with a halogen light and a fan attached to it. I think it's an air fryer. Not very sure though.

My BIL had one of those and convinced me to get one. That was probably 40 years ago! Not too sure what kind of light it had but the heating fan part was in the lid to the glass container.

He was the kind of cook who served fish, chicken, 4 or 5 vegies and probably some beef or pork - for most every supper - they always had about 3 people who "just happen" to drop by around that time. :D

That chart has a time filet mignon in an air fryer... I am not sure I can condone that. :cool:

I was very skeptical about doing those in my a/f.

My D&SIL bought 4 to our apartment and insisted I try.

They came out great. Have done them many times since then.
Ross

My BIL had one of those and convinced me to get one. That was probably 40 years ago! Not too sure what kind of light it had but the heating fan part was in the lid to the glass container.

He was the kind of cook who served fish, chicken, 4 or 5 vegies and probably some beef or pork - for most every supper - they always had about 3 people who "just happen" to drop by around that time. :D
This is exactly the one I have. I like it because you can see whatever cooking inside clearly. Also it's such a relief when you see the fat in meat dripping down to the bottom through the grill :LOL: I've actually never used the modern air fryer. Unless it's power saving, I think the one I have is really good.

My best advice.

Stick to your thoughts about how to properly cook a filet mignon. You know how well they do with your tried and true method. :)

Ross

Tried and true: skip filet across screamin hot cast iron. If you let it settle you'll just overcook it.

Since an air fryer is just a convection oven, I would imagine steaks would come out great cooked in one.

Sounds like you end up with a cooked steak.

I might consider a ribeye.

First "dive in" to the air fryer and am very pleased. The first thing I did was to reheat some leftover breaded catfish we had for supper on Wednesday. Perfect result. Nice and crispy, just like it came out of the skillet. Then I cut up a HUGE russet potato to make fries. Again, perfect. I think I'm going to really like this appliance!

First "dive in" to the air fryer and am very pleased. The first thing I did was to reheat some leftover breaded catfish we had for supper on Wednesday. Perfect result. Nice and crispy, just like it came out of the skillet. Then I cut up a HUGE russet potato to make fries. Again, perfect. I think I'm going to really like this appliance!

2 thumbs up :)

If you 'feel' it is going well, it will.

Ross

I'm still wondering why I read "catfish" as "catfood," twice. Then I realized something must be wrong :LOL::LOL::LOL: and it was my quick skimming of the text.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom