Alfredo.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tancowgirl2000

Head Chef
I would like for once to try to make a "genuine" alffredo sauce...not "my" way....does anyone have a recipe for this? :cry:

Just out of curiousity, what is "your" way? I don't really go by a recipe. I just put cream cheese, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, garlic, dry white wine, and parsley or basil in mine. I never measure it, but it always tastes good.

My way....lol...I never measure just through stuff in. Never have seen a true recipe for it so this is what I generally use....

1 can mushroom soup
sour cream
milk
flour
parmesean
oregano and lots of garlic

so just thought I would try a true recipe for oncece...lmao :LOL:

That would be good with chicken and pasta.

I took the one that was in my school books and altered it and that's how I came up with this one. There's several recipes just like that, but my amounts are different I'm sure. I know that authentic Alfredo sauce does not have cream cheese in it, but I do know that it has garlic, Parmesan cheese, heavy cream, and dry white wine. I have no idea where my sauce book is, but if I ever find it, I will post the recipe that came out of it. Try doing a search on yahoo for Italian recipes and then searching on one of the pages for Alfredo sauce.

thanks muchly.....I think ive heard before to use heavy cream but I find that sour cream works jsut as good and WAY less in fat!!!

I'd appricate it if you would post later when you find it .....no time to search now...must cook supper. Thank you once again

Tanis

my dressings and sauces

hi there new to the club i am a executive chef looking for a company that bottles sauces and dressings for me to market would love to if someone know where thainks chef j.d.

I don't know of any right off hand that I would consider using. In my opinion, if I were lucky enough to have my own restaurant, I would make up my own instead of lowering the quality of my food with some cheap knockoff. You being an executive chef, I'm sure that if you were to go into say the Olive Garden and order their fettucine alfredo you would probably find it mediocre and think "Hey I could do a better job". Just a few weeks ago I went into a Ruby Tuesday's and ordered honey barbecue chicken and the sauce was terrible. I asked if they used a prepackaged sauce and they did. Now I won't eat at another one of their restaurants because I can make better here at home. My point is that if you just need a sauce to get by and dress the pasta, get Ragu, but if you really want to mesmerize your clientel, work on your own and develop your own type of sauce. If you do come up with your own type of sauce and it does well, bottle it and sell it so us with higher standards can have good sauce without all the work. haha I tend to go to restaurants that advertise that everything is made on site and I tell my friends and family if its good and then word of mouth takes over. Just my opinion and suggestion.

L.H.

Here's one that I liked. We made it last fall at the country club I work at. Start with a little clarified butter. Add some chopped garlic, salt and pepper, and saute just until you start to smell it, about 20 - 30 seconds, if that. Deglaze the pan with a little chicken stock, about a TBSP. Add about 4 oz of cream. Bring to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat. Separate one egg white from the yolk, and reserve the white for another purpose. While constantly whisking the cream, add the yolk and whisk until smooth. You have to do this fast to avoid cooking the yolk. Return the pan to LOW heat, and add some shredded parmesan. Stir until the cheese is melted. You might even be able to do this off the heat, if you have enough liquid. Toss with pasta and plate.

That sounds good Allen! Thank you....

Star Chef....I would have a boo at some of the stuff that Rainee posts.....she may be able to help you!

Star, where are you located?

A lot of products can be produced right in your restaurant. Start with your agriculture dept at the local state university.

Worked for and did catering for two Italian chefs - they both reduced the heavy cream down til it was just starting to get thick, then added parm and a little butter and salt, and white pepper.

The recipe I've always used:
melt 1 stick butter
ad 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
add at least a cup of freshly grated parm cheese.
add to your liking - salt, pepper, parsley

chesterchippy said:
The recipe I've always used:
melt 1 stick butter
ad 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
add at least a cup of freshly grated parm cheese.
add to your liking - salt, pepper, parsley

I am soooooo making this. Death in a bowl, but what a way to go!

[quote="mudbugI am soooooo making this. Death in a bowl, but what a way to go![/quote]

I figure, it's a cooking board, not a health board. Enjoy (in moderation). ;)

ironchef said:
i normally cringe when someone mentions alfredo sauce...but if you want to try something different, add greek myzithra cheese to the sauce instead of parmesan.

How does this cheese compare with parm and where can you get it? What does it do different to the alfredo sauce?

you should be able to find this cheese at any gourmet market. it's similar to feta in texture, but it's softer and not as dry and crumbly. taste wise it's hard to describe. if you can find a place that sells it by the block, you can ask them to try a piece before you buy it. but even if you can't try it first, I think you would like it anyway.

tancowgirl2000 said:
I would like for once to try to make a "genuine" alffredo sauce...not "my" way....does anyone have a recipe for this? :cry:

Place 2 cups of heavy cream and a stick of salted butter in a saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Simmer slowly until it is reduced by 1/3rd. Add 1 cup shredded Regiano Parmesan and stir until smooth. Salt and white pepper. (No garlic, and no cream cheese in Alfredo sauce)

Back
Top Bottom