Alton Brown came to our little town last week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Sometime in February a "scout" for Alton Brown came through our little town of less than 1,000 and stopped at our only real barbecue place, Prince Pit BBQ. The scout ordered some of Ricky Prince's barbecue and was given a business card to take with him.

Then, sometime last week, Ricky received a call from a man asking for 10 "plates," which he would come by later to pick up.

Well, pick up he did. Ricky found himself serving barbecue to the producer of Alton Brown's FoodNetwork program, Feasting on Asphalt, Alton Brown and a host of other folks. They came in on BMW motorcycles and a single SUV.

The producer told Ricky that when he tasted the barbecue he had in February, it was the best he'd ever had and suggested that Alton add this little western Kentucky barbecue joint to the list of places featured on the next season of the show.

Well, y'all. The date for the airing of the show hasn't been announced, but the new season begins on August 4. So, y'all, mark your calendars.

We're mighty proud of our barbecue in these here parts. As you might guess, the whole town is abuzz with excitement and anticipation of being put "on the map" Alton Brown-style!

That is so awesome Congrat's to your town !!
Just remember to let us all know when the show airs! Thanks

Last edited:
That's really awesome!!
did he do autograph singnings? or did they shoot and just leave? If the did do signings was he nice? he seems like sucha great guy! definetly one of the best favourites round here to!:stuart:

Andy M., SurvivorGirl,

We weren't around for his visit but, word has it, he was really nice and signed autographs, etc. Put signs on the outside of Ricky's building that said, "Alton Brown was here." Pretty neat.

They did the shoot very much candidly because they said they wanted things to be "natural," without any posing, etc., so what you see is what you get. Ricky wasn't warned at all. Was only phoned that someone was picking up a 10-plate order for take-out. I think that's a nice thing.

Humm ... and all these years I thought Western Kentucky was just famous for it's "Road Kill Burgoo"! (wink-wink-nod-nod ... and a big chuckle) :LOL:

I think that is totally fantastic, Katie! Some of the best food I've ever had while on the road was in towns with a population of 1,500 or less.

I'll be looking forward to seeing it!

I hope you didn't like eating there all that much!

Explanation: There is a little seafood shack on the Pacific Coast Highay, right near (Los Angeles/Ventura) County Line, where the surfers, bikers, and other locals would congregate for fresh fish, clams, crab, corn on the cob, cold beer and soda, and good conversation. Nothing fancy at all, about six tables inside, maybe ten or twelve on the covered patio out front, small parking lot for cars, a special parking lot right in front for motorcycles, outside toilet, steamed stuff in the back, fired stuff in the front. Good food, finely done, at very reasonable prices. Then one day Rachael Ray and her $40.00 A Day road crew showed up. There went the neighborhood! No place to park any more, no place to sit either, huge lines at the register, prices went up and up and up. They had to add seating with picnic tables on top of the hill overlooking the parking lot, and the had to add a couple more outhouses. No way to add any more parking though. Every time we'd cruise around the parking lot waiting for someone to leave, you could distinctly hear these words eminating from our car: &%#%@*&%#$@ that Rachael Ray!

Caine said:

Explanation: There is a little seafood shack on the Pacific Coast Highay, right near (Los Angeles/Ventura) County Line, where the surfers, bikers, and other locals would congregate for fresh fish, clams, crab, corn on the cob, cold beer and soda, and good conversation. Nothing fancy at all, about six tables inside, maybe ten or twelve on the covered patio out front, small parking lot for cars, a special parking lot right in front for motorcycles, outside toilet, steamed stuff in the back, fired stuff in the front. Good food, finely done, at very reasonable prices. Then one day Rachael Ray and her $40.00 A Day road crew showed up. There went the neighborhood! No place to park any more, no place to sit either, huge lines at the register, prices went up and up and up. They had to add seating with picnic tables on top of the hill overlooking the parking lot, and the had to add a couple more outhouses. No way to add any more parking though. Every time we'd cruise around the parking lot waiting for someone to leave, you could distinctly hear these words eminating from our car: &%#%@*&%#$@ that Rachael Ray!

That pretty cool though, ya gotta admit!!:chef: It also prolly gave the business a boost!;)

Caine said:

Actually, there's no way anyone can eat there. It's not a restaurant. It's just a small barbecue shack with a huge cooking pit in the back. It's right on the main highway, with a gravel pull-off.

Ricky is the only one inside the shack. He dishes up the orders and hands them out a window to customers.

It's really good barbecue and Buck will sometimes drive by the place just to get a whiff of the heavenly smell.:LOL:

That's a pretty cool story, Katie.
No way he would stop in my little town either :mad: I have to drive 35 minutes just to get a decent pizza and there's 5 family owned (non-franchised) shops within 5 minutes from me. No good food to speak of except for your own. I would love to live in barbecue country or at least a place known for something edible other than its grape juice :rolleyes:

pacanis said:
That's a pretty cool story, Katie.
No way he would stop in my little town either :mad: I have to drive 35 minutes just to get a decent pizza and there's 5 family owned (non-franchised) shops within 5 minutes from me. No good food to speak of except for your own. I would love to live in barbecue country or at least a place known for something edible other than its grape juice :rolleyes:

Yeah another season of this show.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom