America's Test Kitchen Baked Potato Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I just tried the America's Test Kitchen baked potato recipe. It was amazing!

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr-o01qiRYI

Here's the recipe:

* Use russet potatoes

* Poke 6 holes in each potato with a fork

* Mix 1/2 cup of water with two tablespoons of salt.

* Toss potatoes in the brine for a few seconds

* Put in 450 degree oven for about 45 minutes until they reach an internal temp of 205 degrees

* Brush potatoes with 1/4 tablespoon of vegetable oil for each potato (I used EVOO, it's what I had)

* Put potatoes back in 450 degree oven for 10 minutes

* Cut an "X" in the top of the potato, squarsh it, then add toppings.

This was the fluffiest, lightest baked potato I've ever had with a nice crispy skin. I didn't make the topping they did, I just put black pepper and ranch dressing on it. It was delicious.

It's not quite as good as an Outback Steakhouse baked potato, though, but to get that awesomeness Outback slathers them in butter and salt. I'm OK with the tradeoff.

So my questions are:

1) Can these be reheated? I would much rather cook 4 or 5 of these at a time than 1, then reheat them as I'm ready to eat them. I got the impression from the video that you had to eat 'em right away.

2) If they can be reheated, should you cut the "X" in the top right away, or after you reheat them? The video made it sound like you needed to make the "X" cut and release the steam right away or bad things would happen.

Thanks

I don't know, but I imagine it would be best to partially cook the potatoes and then finish them when you want them. I'm thinking bake them to 205°F and then let them cool and refrigerate them. Then, when you want to eat them, nuke them to 205°F; oil them, stick them in a 450°F oven for the last 10 minutes; and then make your X and squash them. As I wrote, I don't know. I'm just guessing. It's what I would try.

+1
Partially bake them. Refrigerate until ready for use. Finish in the microwave. Remove and brush wit oil, or butter.
Put in hot oven to crisp the skins. Remove, cut in the X, and squish down lightly to open the potato and let steam escape. That allows the potato meat to absorb the butter, and seasonings into the potato meat. For extra flavor, you might make a compound butter to melt into the potato.

Tip:
I have washed, then pricked the skin of russets, and fully cooked them in the microwave with excellent results. The potato doesn't care if the heat source is the oven, microwave, or covered grill.

As long as you give them a little fat on the skin, and blast them with heat at the end, the skins will be very crispy, and the potato, light and fluffy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Back
Top Bottom