Amish Egg Noodles - treat the same as pasta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdoolitt

Assistant Cook
Last night I made a pasta dish with lemon butter sauce. The noodles did not absorb the sauce at all. The noodles were were Amish Egg Noodles - brand name Essentials.

Do these have to be treated differntly than pasta like De Cecco or Barilla?

The ingredients appear to be the same as most egg noodles. Most dry pasta does not contain egg but I don’t think that’s the issue. How did you prepare the noodles and mix in the sauce?

I boiled then simmered for ~15 minetes. Package said 11-22 minutes.

While that was going on I made the butter sauce on very low heat. 3 knobs of butter and lemon zest. Lemon juice when I took the noodles out and put them in the sauce pauce. Then the shaking to emulsify the butter (still a weak spot with me).

The noodles were kinda old. Maybe that was the issue.

I wouldn't expect the noodles to absorb the sauce. They absorbed the water they were cooked in. However, with your process, they should have made a creamy sauce that coated the noodles.

Did you rinse the cooked noodles before adding the sauce?

I use the medium egg noodles for many things - tuna-noodle casserole, soups, "bed" for 'stuff', pasta salads with oil/mayo/fresh cheese dressings...

in the casserole they 'hold onto' the sauce no problem - but I only boil/pre-cook them 8 minutes, since they'll be cooked further by baking...
otherwise I do 12 minutes.

since there's always leftovers (dinner for two...) I make the 'first night' sauce on the thin side, as when cooled&stored the noodles seem to soak up moisture and make it too gluely.

perhaps overcooking them 'saturated' the pasta?
if you added oil to the boil water - that causes a known 'Teflon pasta' effect. a butter sauce on oiled pasta sounds iffy.

Last edited:
Butter sauce contains little water. You need to cook the pasta until it's done to your liking. Then, drain the pasta and let sit for 5 minutes or so to allow any surface water on the pasta to evaporate. Remember, fat and water don't play together well. When the pasta is no longer coated with water, add it to the pot with the butter sauce. Use tongs to turn the pasta until it is completely coated with your butter sauce.

By the way, your butter sauce is very similar to a sauce called Buerre blanc.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I boiled then simmered for ~15 minetes. Package said 11-22 minutes.

While that was going on I made the butter sauce on very low heat. 3 knobs of butter and lemon zest. Lemon juice when I took the noodles out and put them in the sauce pauce. Then the shaking to emulsify the butter (still a weak spot with me).

The noodles were kinda old. Maybe that was the issue.
You can use a whisk to help emulsify the sauce. It's a lot easier than trying to shake the pan without getting sauce all over the place ;)

I wouldn't expect the noodles to absorb the sauce. They absorbed the water they were cooked in. However, with your process, they should have made a creamy sauce that coated the noodles.

Did you rinse the cooked noodles before adding the sauce?

Aha, you're right. I should have put them in the sauce before they were completely done, then they would have continued cooking and absorbing the sauce?

Egg noodles go well with this:

swedish-meatballs-seasoning-sauce-mix.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom