Anchovies/anchovy paste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks, loprraine; not too concered cause it's my own fridge; thanks again!

Luvs, I put them into a closed container along with their oil and have kept them several weeks.Edit that to read in the refridgerator
kades

anchovie paste will keep a long time if the tube is capped and kept in the fridge. KNock off the fist bit out when using next as it may be dry. Achovies in oil or salt will keep once opened if kept sealed and cool in the fridge for quite some time also. Possibly up to a month.

Try fish sauce

I used to have the same problem.

Now I just buy a quart oforiental fish sauce (Nuc mam, nam pla, etc - 3 Crabs is a good brand) Use a teaspoon, or so, in your dish-- you won't know it's there, but you'll know when it isn't.

Lasts for years without refrigeration.

Just don't smell it first, or you won't use it:LOL:

i use both anchovy paste and the 3 crabs brand of fish sauce.

i'm often asked about a certain, underlying tone when i cook my swiss chard, but that's what it is... about a teaspoon of good anchovy paste.

bacon and olive oil in a cold pan... render out the fat.
remove the bacon and reserve
saute some garlic puree (homemade) and when you can REALLY smell the garlic, add-in the anchovy paste and stir for about 20 seconds.
add chicken broth and chard stems and cook for 15 min.
reduce heat and add chard leaves til they wilt.

I used to have the same problem.

Now I just buy a quart oforiental fish sauce (Nuc mam, nam pla, etc - 3 Crabs is a good brand) Use a teaspoon, or so, in your dish-- you won't know it's there, but you'll know when it isn't.

Lasts for years without refrigeration.

Just don't smell it first, or you won't use it:LOL:

I love both fish sauce and anchovies, but they taste very different to me.

I can sip fish sauce straight and even have a container in my desk drawer at work. I can eat a can of anchovies for a snack.

I have kept open jarred anchovies in the fridge for months.

About a week ago someone dropped and broke a whole bottle of fish sauce in an elevator at my parking garage. That was the only time I was put off by fish sauce -- it was horribly disgusting.

Fish sauce is lovely stuff. Makes a great "secret ingredient" in so many things.
It IS umami.

As for anchovies, they rarely make it to the fridge. My wife intercepts and eats any
not used in a dish, LOL!

I can sip fish sauce straight and even have a container in my desk drawer at work. I can eat a can of anchovies for a snack.

About a week ago someone dropped and broke a whole bottle of fish sauce in an elevator at my parking garage. That was the only time I was put off by fish sauce -- it was horribly disgusting.

that's brave! it takes work to consume even 1 anchoy for me.

I use anchovie paste at times, but usually do wind up throwing it out if it's more than 6 mos old. Believe it or not, Worcestershire sauce has anchovies, and in some applications will add that certain je ne sais quoi a dish needs (especially salad dressings). For some reason when I eat at southeast Asian restaurants, I love the fish sauce, but when I cook with it myself, no matter how careful I am, it quickly becomes overwhelming.

The neighbors over my fence were, we suspect, making fish sauce on Saturday.

It was not a pleasant day in the neighborhood. :wacko:

i haven't used fish sauce before, 'cept it probably doesn't smell too great!

Anchovies will keep indefinitely in the fridge. Last fall I purchased a large can of salt-cured anchovies, which will probably last forever, or until they are used up or disintegrate into the salt! They have to be soaked very well, AND they have to be filleted, but when used in an "ordinary" dish like the dressing for my potato salad this weekend, the results are extraordinary.

LOLOL OMG my wife says that if the bottle of fish sauce broke in our house we would just have to burn it to the ground and start over...

"Mr. and Mrs. 3k, it would appear that you are a victim of arson!"

"Yes, we burned it ourselves, we spilled fish sauce."

"Oh! We understand completely! Your claim is approved."

LOLOL OMG my wife says that if the bottle of fish sauce broke in our house we would just have to burn it to the ground and start over...

"Mr. and Mrs. 3k, it would appear that you are a victim of arson!"

"Yes, we burned it ourselves, we spilled fish sauce."

"Oh! We understand completely! Your claim is approved."

ROTFLMAO! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

it is funny oxygen keeps us alive but it kills our food fast. so we should put them on sealed containers and storing them on the fridge

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom