Andy M.'s Empanada Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
In response to a request, here's my recipe:

EMPANADAS

1 Ea Chipotle in Adobo
3 Tb Mayonnaise
3 Tb Oil
1½ Lb Chicken, beef or pork1
1 Ea Onion, minced
2 Cl Garlic, minced
½ Ea Red Bell Pepper, minced
TT Salt and Pepper
1 Tb Cilantro, minced
1 Tb Chili powder
1 Tb Cumin
2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Mexican Oregano
1 Ea Tomato, minced
2 C Shredded Cheese
20 Ea Empanada Disks
1 Lg Egg Yolk
1 Tb Milk

Preheat the oven to 375ºF.

Mince the chipotle pepper and mix it into the mayonnaise. Reserve.

Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and brown the meat.

Add the onion, garlic and red pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are soft. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the cilantro, the seasonings and the tomato and continue to cook. Add a splash or two of chicken broth to moisten the mixture if necessary. Stir in the chipotle mayonnaise.

Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cheese.

Place heaping soup spoonfuls of the filling on a dough disk, moisten the edges and fold them together. Crimp the edges and fold the seam in a pleated pattern. Place the completed empanada on a parchment lined sheet pan. Repeat with the remaining disks and filling (10 empanadas per half-sheet pan).

Brush the tops of the empanadas with beaten egg yolk mixed with milk and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.

Alternatively, deep fry in 350ºF oil until golden brown (omit the egg wash).

1 If using previously cooked meat, add it after cooking the veggies and before adding the spices.

Elapsed time: 2 hours.

Classic flavors, Andy. Those empanadas will be really, really good. I've made similar, with ground beef, and cotija cheese.

Another great, and similar recipe is samosas. I have a very good recipe that was given to me by a dear friend in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. If you'd like it, let me know.

Now look what you've done. I want to make your empanadas, but need to go out and test the new fly rod I just built. You're distracting me:LOL:.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Classic flavors, Andy. Those empanadas will be really, really good. I've made similar, with ground beef, and cotija cheese.

Another great, and similar recipe is samosas. I have a very good recipe that was given to me by a dear friend in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. If you'd like it, let me know.

Now look what you've done. I want to make your empanadas, but need to go out and test the new fly rod I just built. You're distracting me:LOL:.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, I usually use a mixture of pork and beef.

In response to a request, here's my recipe:

EMPANADAS

1 Ea Chipotle in Adobo
3 Tb Mayonnaise
3 Tb Oil
1½ Lb Chicken, beef or pork1
1 Ea Onion, minced
2 Cl Garlic, minced
½ Ea Red Bell Pepper, minced
TT Salt and Pepper
1 Tb Cilantro, minced
1 Tb Chili powder
1 Tb Cumin
2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Mexican Oregano
1 Ea Tomato, minced
2 C Shredded Cheese
20 Ea Empanada Disks
1 Lg Egg Yolk
1 Tb Milk

Preheat the oven to 375ºF.

Mince the chipotle pepper and mix it into the mayonnaise. Reserve.

Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and brown the meat.

Add the onion, garlic and red pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are soft. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the cilantro, the seasonings and the tomato and continue to cook. Add a splash or two of chicken broth to moisten the mixture if necessary. Stir in the chipotle mayonnaise.

Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cheese.

Place heaping soup spoonfuls of the filling on a dough disk, moisten the edges and fold them together. Crimp the edges and fold the seam in a pleated pattern. Place the completed empanada on a parchment lined sheet pan. Repeat with the remaining disks and filling (10 empanadas per half-sheet pan).

Brush the tops of the empanadas with beaten egg yolk mixed with milk and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.

Alternatively, deep fry in 350ºF oil until golden brown (omit the egg wash).

1 If using previously cooked meat, add it after cooking the veggies and before adding the spices.

Elapsed time: 2 hours.
What cheese do you use?

I used a blend of Mexican cheeses. Sometimes I use cheddar or Monterey Jack.
How much oil (about 1–2 inches in a cast-iron pan) and about how long to cook when deep-frying?

I would love to make these this weekend or asap.

How much oil (about 1–2 inches in a cast-iron pan) and about how long to cook when deep-frying?

I would love to make these this weekend or asap.

A couple of inches of oil. I used a 7¼ quart Le Cruset. I cooked four at a time. Kept them warm in the oven. I didn't time them. I went by the color. When they looked like the photo, I took them out.

A couple of inches of oil. I used a 7¼ quart Le Cruset. I cooked four at a time. Kept them warm in the oven. I didn't time them. I went by the color. When they looked like the photo, I took them out.

I bought all the ingredients. I have a couple questions.
20 empanadas are alot so …
1 - can I freeze half the filling to use another time? or will it get watery after thawing?
2 - can I freeze the completed empanadas?
3 - if so should/can I freeze them raw or cooked?
4 - if cooked and frozen how should I reheat (refry, bake or microwave). Thaw them or heat from frozen?
5 - if raw can I fry/bake from frozen?
6 - do you serve with a sauce? If so do you have a recipe or store bought?

Sorry for all the questions. TIA

I bought all the ingredients. I have a couple questions.
20 empanadas are alot so …
1 - can I freeze half the filling to use another time? or will it get watery after thawing? I don't think it will get watery. Freezing s/b OK
2 - can I freeze the completed empanadas? That's what I do
3 - if so should/can I freeze them raw or cooked? I freeze them cooked but you should be able to freeze them raw and cook them as needed
4 - if cooked and frozen how should I reheat (refry, bake or microwave). Thaw them or heat from frozen? In the oven
5 - if raw can I fry/bake from frozen? I have reheated baked ones from frozen but not fried ones yet.
6 - do you serve with a sauce? If so do you have a recipe or store bought? We eat them with salsa and sour cream. Both purchased, not homemade

Sorry for all the questions. TIA

No need to be sorry. I hope you like them as much as we do.

msmofet, I buy Goya empanada disks. They are in the frozen foods section of my supermarket. They come 10 to a pack. You could easily cut the recipe in half if you like.

Also, I bought a set of 4 or 5 empanada presses that are similar to these:

em.jpg

They make the process MUCH easier than doing it all by hand and can be used for turnovers etc.

msmofet, I buy Goya empanada disks. They are in the frozen foods section of my supermarket. They come 10 to a pack. You could easily cut the recipe in half if you like.

Also, I bought a set of 4 or 5 empanada presses that are similar to these:

View attachment 52743

They make the process MUCH easier than doing it all by hand and can be used for turnovers etc.

Thank you for the answers.

I also bought the frozen Goya disks. They had packages marked for frying and packages marked for baking. I bought the frying ones. Can they be used either way?
I have a set of those presses (I think there are 3 sizes) for many years, but have never used them.

Last edited:
Thank you for the answers.

I also bought the frozen Goya disks. They had packages marked for frying and packages marked for baking. I bought the frying ones. Can they be used either way?
I have a set of those presses (I think there are 3 sizes) for many years, but have never used them.

For a long time, there was only one type of Goya disk. This last time I bought the frying disks because that's all they had. They may be able to be used either way but the results may not be optimal.

For a long time, there was only one type of Goya disk. This last time I bought the frying disks because that's all they had. They may be able to be used either way but the results may not be optimal.

I just sent some time at the Goya website. They have several types of disks. For Frying, For Baking and for both. Also some other misc. types. The ingredients lists for the three specific types are different from each other. The fryers contain shortening while the bakers use margarine. There are other minor differences.

Back
Top Bottom