Anne Burrell: Secrets of a Restaurant Chef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
i just read that she does NOT ever, under any circumstance, use black pepper in anything she cooks.

furthermore, she stated in an article that she won't ever hire a cook that uses black pepper.

what's the deal with NOT using black pepper? i don't get it.

i thought "salt and pepper to taste" was just about standard... given they are THE ultimate pair to season just about anything.

I find that curious too.

I watch her show and get some very good tips, but could never use that much salt.

I don't know who she is, but I too do not use black pepper. I hate the taste of it, I hate the smell of it. I do not eat anything that has black pepper. Whom eve it is I like her.

wow.

charlie, i cooked steak au poivre for you...

do i have to eat it all myself?

I don't know who she is, but I too do not use black pepper. I hate the taste of it, I hate the smell of it. I do not eat anything that has black pepper. Whom eve it is I like her.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of black pepper, I still use it as recommended in recipes. I can't imagine NEVER using it.

I may not care for the immediate taste of it, but I think it is useful for adding depth overall.

Many chefs use white pepper in their cooking. That is what we used at culinary school. Never black. I find I use white a lot more than black myself. The is black (or actually mixed) peppercorns in the grinder on the table, but the food will have white in it. It is a little milder and I just have gotten used to it. I can control the amount better.

It really depends on the dish. I don't use black pepper that much either. I prefer to layer my flavors using chili flakes, fresh peppers like thai chilis, jalapenos, or serranos, or powdered chili like cayenne. Plus, you don't have all the black specks in the food and you can get a cleaner visual appeal.

We DVR her show all the time. I noticed that too, she also uses a truck load of salt! I season my food pretty well, but never as much salt as her.

I like her, she's a psyco.

I also love black pepper. I like seeing the specs in my food...let's me knoe it's seasoned.

She's entitled to her opinion, and I take it be just that...opinion. Any time I have ever used the word NEVER, it has come back to haunt me, so I rarely use it in my vocabulary.

All spices and seasonings have a place, and black pepper has its place in many of my dishes. White pepper also has its place, but I don't have any in my panry.

I have seen her show a few times and never really noticed. My wife on the other hand can't stand her "growl". I have more pepper mills in my kitchen than the law should allow. I use it all the time.

using black pepper in certain dishes is understandable... both for taste and in respect to visual appeal. but to NEVER use it and to state that you wouldn't even hire someone who uses black pepper is a much stronger statement.
It really depends on the dish. I don't use black pepper that much either. I prefer to layer my flavors using chili flakes, fresh peppers like thai chilis, jalapenos, or serranos, or powdered chili like cayenne. Plus, you don't have all the black specks in the food and you can get a cleaner visual appeal.

My grandmother also only used white pepper.

I use all the peppers, pretty judiciously.

In Louisiana cooking there's quite a bit of all three.... white, black and red. :chef:

It does seem odd that someone would outright ban any seasoning. In my opinion black pepper does have it's place. It adds a certain dimension to some foods that I don't think can be duplicated.

Jeff

It does seem odd that someone would outright ban any seasoning. In my opinion black pepper does have it's place. It adds a certain dimension to some foods that I don't think can be duplicated.

Jeff

People do things like that to get attention. She started a conversation on it here, right? ;)

i long ago quit salting food that i make. the eater can add their own. most things have enough salt as it is. now i love black pepper and use a lot of it. probably more than most do, started when i cut out the salt.

who cares what anyone else says, i am the one i need to please

I wonder if it's a "gimmick" --- to draw attention to herself --- to improve ratings --- to sell cook books --- to make money??? :ermm:

Love black pepper!!!

Back
Top Bottom