Annoying Food Trends – IMO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Half portions, why don't more restaurants offer half portions?
It's no real hardship to prepare a half plate of anything!
I've seen a few restaurants that do that, and I think it's a great idea. For Dad's Day last weekend, my daughter took me to a place called "Lake & Irving." Most of the entrees they serve are also available in what they called "small plate" portions. Because they offered that option, we both ordered smaller entrees and ended up splitting another appetizer item. As a result, we got to try a few different things.

DH and I just split an entreé. I don't care if they give us two plates or not. If we don't get two forks, I will hunt another fork down.

This also means we split a salad and veg. Dessert too if it's included.

I've seen a few restaurants that do that, and I think it's a great idea. For Dad's Day last weekend, my daughter took me to a place called "Lake & Irving." Most of the entrees they serve are also available in what they called "small plate" portions. Because they offered that option, we both ordered smaller entrees and ended up splitting another appetizer item. As a result, we got to try a few different things.

Exactly Steve!
In Hawaii, you can go to many places and order multiple "family style" smaller sized dishes and we all share at the table... rarely was there anything left on the table to get a to-go box for.

Many times when I go out on business dinners, the others prefer a steak house. Being a vegetarian, you'd think my options were limited, but many offer a sampler of all the sides ( sautéed spinach, roasted potatoes, grilled asparagus, crazy big onion rings, marinated mushrooms, truffle mac and cheese .....) These were some of the best dinners out Ive ever had. I love a sample of many things.

Oh my gosh Steve, what a great menu!
Kalua Pig, Furikake Chicken and shoyu what was that again?
and the prices are very nice!
Maybe we live in the wrongest part of the country!

As for potato skins, at my house when I was growing up (and really up until today), my Mom and sister and I all fought over baked potato skins after eating the innards.
"Aw you don't want that ugly skin, now do ya? Give it here."
Loads of butter, salt and pepper, maybe some freshly snipped chives and EAT!
Hmmm, makes me think that maybe I need to do some bakers.
The skins of pretty much any veg has ALL of the nutrients!

I always peel my large potatoes, although when I have twice baked potatoes, occasionally I'll take the scooped out potato skins and deep fat fry those and then fill them with hamburger, bacon, and cheese with a little sour cream on top. That's kind of messy, so I don't do that often.

The only time I don't peel potatoes is when I get small potatoes and make salt potatoes. Because the potatoes are so small, I just dip them in butter and eat them whole.

As for potato skins, at my house when I was growing up (and really up until today), my Mom and sister and I all fought over baked potato skins after eating the innards.
"Aw you don't want that ugly skin, now do ya? Give it here."
Loads of butter, salt and pepper, maybe some freshly snipped chives and EAT!
Hmmm, makes me think that maybe I need to do some bakers.
The skins of pretty much any veg has ALL of the nutrients!

I don't order baked potatoes when in a restaurant. More than likely they have been wrapped in foil. That makes them steamed, not baked. I want a real crispy skin that was lightly rubbed with oil, a few holes poked in it and baked as is.

Yeah, pile those baked skins on my plate please. I will sometime order baked tater skins as an appetizer. :angel:

The only annoying food trend that I can name is the fried egg put atop anything and everything

Not sure if they do that anymore, but it comes from old French tradition. I take it chefs here want to be all fancy. I don't mind on burger, but not anything else please.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I dislike the plating of the meal with everything piled in the center of the plate. Potatoes on the bottom, with veggies in the middle and the meat on top. No, just NO! I don't care about food touching but I do like my food separated.

Annoying food trend. Bone in chicken breasts that are huge, gargantuan sized. Now they're called "split chicken breasts." I've gone to 5 area supermarkets looking for bone in chicken breast to BBQ on a rotisserie. I want the size chicken breast you might get at an El Pollo Loco or KFC. The size they sell today, one chicken breast weighs 2 pounds and could feed 2 people. They're all huge! I've bookmarked some local butcher shops to call to see if they offer up smaller sized bone in chicken breasts.

Last edited:
I can't find fryer-sized chickens (3.5lb-4lb). The smallest is over 5 pounds.

I hear ya Andy. I wanted just two chicken breasts. The package said chicken breast, but I personally think they were turkey breasts. That poor chicken probably couldn't even stand up without her breasts dragging on the ground. :angel:

Last edited:
img_1470924_0_4a111f2016e203fc740215eb72af343e.png
I can see some people going for that

I don't peel potatoes for mashed or potato salad, either, and it's not because I'm lazy. I like the look of the peel (especially red oned), it contains a lot of nutrients, and Yukon Gold skins are so thin, they don't need peeling.
What GG wrote.

I think that has become common due to the fact that most city tap water doesn't taste all that good, so a little lemon covers it up.

I like a bit of lemon in my water, even when the water tastes fine without.

This is the truth! I love burgers. I've had a lot of what I would call semi-traditional, and a few non-traditional, burgers. I also like fried eggs sunny-side-up. I do NOT want them together.

To be honest I'm not a fan of any sandwich with eggs, but I can force down egg salad if that's all there is. Runny yolk all over my burger.... I'd skip that one completely.
It is actually traditional on some food: hash, a Danish hamburger steak, an Australian all dressed hamburger, Holstein wienerschnitzel (as I learned from this thread), and I'm sure there is more.

But, I agree, it doesn't belong on everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird diet fads. Atkins...Paleo...whatever the diet du jour is bugs me. Burn more calories than you consume.

Dr. Atkins approach is not a diet. Its a lifestyle and many people have benefited from hearing the real truth about food.

The only annoying food trend that I can name is the fried egg put atop anything and everything

I thought it was weird too. But after some thought, I could see and would eat some things with a fried egg on top. The runny yolk being the star.

The only time I like the skin on my potatoes is when they are baked. When I am served a potato salad with the skin still on the potatoes, I just let it sit there or just break off the front of the piece of potato and leave the skin behind. Make sure your peeler is really sharp and don't be lazy. Peel them.

Yeah, yeah, I know red taters are the preferred one for salad. And to peel them can take what seems forever since they are so small. Then find some very large Yukon Gold ones. They make great potato salad and can be peeled quickly. :angel:

I like the skin as long as its not to thick. Some potatoes (russet/Idaho) at the super market have thick skin and it gets removed.

DH and I just split an entreé. I don't care if they give us two plates or not. If we don't get two forks, I will hunt another fork down.
This also means we split a salad and veg. Dessert too if it's included.

My wife and I do the same thing. I always ask for a second plate.

Annoying food trend. Bone in chicken breasts that are huge, gargantuan sized. Now they're called "split chicken breasts." I've gone to 5 area supermarkets looking for bone in chicken breast to BBQ on a rotisserie. I want the size chicken breast you might get at an El Pollo Loco or KFC. The size they sell today, one chicken breast weighs 2 pounds and could feed 2 people. They're all huge! I've bookmarked some local butcher shops to call to see if they offer up smaller sized bone in chicken breasts.

Yep they are big. I just cut mine in half and use as a whole breast.

I can't find fryer-sized chickens (3.5lb-4lb). The smallest is over 5 pounds.

Andy. Just last trip to Costco, I saw whole chickens for 99 cents a pound. Since they always seemed big I almost kept walking. They come two to the package and I found a package with both chickens at about 3-4 pounds a piece. I did not dig down any further in that cold case.
They were quite small. When I cut it up for BBQ chicken I ended up eating three pieces instead of two. They were nice and small.
There is another brand around here that are all small chickens. A bit more money (They could be organic) not sure. But they run around 3 lbs at $1.49 a lb.
Cut up, the pieces are tiny. Maybe to tiny.

Back
Top Bottom