Another Pleasant Valley Sunday Dinner 8/23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
What to do, when you just don't feel like cooking ?
Raining too hard to travel ....... so ....

Grilled Franks & Bush's Beans, Bolstered with Bacon Bits, Topped with Chopped Red Onion; Air Roasted Baby Reds, Cuke Salad...

Dogs 'n Bushes.jpg

I made a carbinaroid (totally inauthentic carbonara, the way I first learned to make it) with rotini, not spaghetti. I served it with a salad with no lettuce. Leaves: mustard greens, rainbow chard, sorrel, and a bit of Belgian endive. The other stuff in the salad: grated carrot, thinly sliced celery, thinly sliced red onion, a bit of chopped broccoli, a bit of chopped cauliflower, and some thinly slice green cabbage. I made a blue cheese dressing to go with that. It was delicious, if I do say so myself.

We had leftover brats, potato salad, and a plum cobbler for dessert. I've never made a plum cobbler before, but I had some plums that had become too soft. It turned out really tasty - especially with a half-scoop of ice cream! :pig:

Attachments

• 2020-08-23 17.43.42.jpg
    2020-08-23 17.43.42.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 73
The plan was to grill a couple of NY Strip steaks over charcoal on my Weber kettle. It's been raining off and on so I decided to pan sear them instead. The steaks were served with potato and tossed salads.

Attachments

• DE5F3885-0275-49B3-9D26-F96BAD30E16C_1_105_c.jpg
    DE5F3885-0275-49B3-9D26-F96BAD30E16C_1_105_c.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 74
I made another batch of that raw tomato pasta, this time with all cherry tomatoes, halved, and tiger tomatoes, quartered, something that I did for quite a while, while watching something on television last night. I used the end of my salted capers - something I always got at DiBruno's in the Philly Italian Market. Claudio's, in the next block, is where I always got my Anchovies - they have refrigerated containers of them for the restaurants in the area! I'm almost out of those, too, but really don't want to go over there in that crowded area. I ordered some salted capers last night on Amazon, and they were here today!
Another batch of raw tomato pasta, this time with shells, spelt, and red beans, along with the olives, garlic, capers, anchovies, and basils. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

It;s going to be authentic Pho tonight. DD has been simmering the roasted pork bones, with the proper aromatics all day. The apartment smells so good. She is introducing me to Vietnamese veggies and flavorings that are available at the Asian Market near here. I'm looking forward to tonight's dinner. She made fresh plum ice cream yesterday, and we ate some today. It is really good.

I'm glad that all of my children are very good cooks. For those that have kids of their own, well, those kids get healthy, and delicious meals. The other two of my children, share their culinary creations with friends, and with me.

I can live with that.:mrgreen:

Boneless sirloin steak and sautéed mushrooms (butter, salt, pepper and Maggi sauce) done in my new carbon steel skillet.

steak_mushrooms_082320_IMG_7105.JPG

Chicken and andouille Cajun strudel with Emril's BBQ sauce (homemade and canned) plus collard greens.

Attachments

• 2020-08-23 19.44.58.jpg
    2020-08-23 19.44.58.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 67
Crispy Katsu chicken sushi sandwich.

39817-albums960-picture8419.jpg
[/IMG]

That looks amazing.

I din't know what Katsu chicken was, and so did some research. It turns out that I've been making Katsu chicken for a long time, and just called it panko crusted fried chicken. I've also made a similar fried dish with pork. I found out it's called tonkatsu.

I've never thought of putting it into sushi rice, with a nori wrap. It looks amazing. Thanks for sharing. It's a great idea. I can see this served as in your picture, with some pickled ginger, and maybe some wasabi.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I made 16 salmon meatballs and served 8 over rice with sweet & sour sauce and 8 over fusilli with marinara sauce. The amazing thing is everything in the entire meal, from the canned salmon to the rice and maccheroni to the marinara sauce, came from food bank giveaways.

Last edited:
That looks amazing.

I din't know what Katsu chicken was, and so did some research. It turns out that I've been making Katsu chicken for a long time, and just called it panko crusted fried chicken. I've also made a similar fried dish with pork. I found out it's called tonkatsu.
Katsu basically means breaded fried cutlet in Japanese. These cutlets originated in Europe - think schnitzel and piccata - and were introduced to Japan by European trading companies. They were adapted for use with other local ingredients, like rice, and seasonings. When I make chicken katsu, I like to put a little Chinese Five-Spice Powder in the flour.

Last edited:
I made 16 salmon meatballs and served 8 over rice with sweet & sour sauce and 8 over fusilli with marinara sauce. The amazing thing is everything in the entire meal, from the canned salmon to the rice and maccheroni to the marinara sauce, came from food bank giveaways.

That sounds like one delicious dinner.
If you have the time can you post your recipe?

Back
Top Bottom