Another post involving cutting boards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garlicjosh

Senior Cook
So after the talk about bamboo boards, I went out to start working on a prep work for a pot pie, well I looked down at my board and I can see a split in the wood. I never wash mine with soap and water just a mix of vinegar and lemon zest/ orange... but yet it's cracking.
it was a cheaper board, only payed like 20 bucks for it but have kept it seasoned and never left it on wet surfaces.
As of right now the spot isn't to bad but it for sure makes me nervous...should I just finally spend some good money on a board or just keep this one seasoned and keep my eyes on it?

Same here, gjosh. Even cheap wood has aesthetic beauty. Cracked wood on the other hand gives me the heebie-jeebies; like I'm wondering if there's a beetle maggot in there.

haha I wouldn't go that far but it does just make me nervous in general.
just using a broken piece of equipment never ends well.
I'll probably just end up buying a better board after I get payed in like a week.
I was just curious if anyone thinks the crack will expand.

Same here, gjosh. Even cheap wood has aesthetic beauty. Cracked wood on the other hand gives me the heebie-jeebies; like I'm wondering if there's a beetle maggot in there.

People get all weirded out of shape over a little extra protein in their diet.:ROFLMAO:

A board that I really like (and is cheap) is the Chicago Cutlery Large Wood Carving Board. They are on sale right now at Sears.com for $19.99. As a plus, when compared to most boards I've seen, this one has a little trough routed out around the perimeter to catch liquids before they spill off onto your counter. Might want to give it a look.

Attachments

• Carving Board.jpeg
    Carving Board.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 151
A board that I really like (and is cheap) is the Chicago Cutlery Large Wood Carving Board. They are on sale right now at Sears.com for $19.99. As a plus, when compared to most boards I've seen, this one has a little trough routed out around the perimeter to catch liquids before they spill off onto your counter. Might want to give it a look.

Funny, that is the board I am actually having the issue with.

Reading this post, I just can't help think of the old cutting board we used to use while growing up. It is AMAZING that I lived to be able to buy my own cutting boards. Now I even label one for meat and one for veggies and one for cheese. We used an old wood one growing up for everything, and until it actually broke into too many pieces to wood glue back together, we used it! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:

I have a new/old cutting board. My father made me a cutting board out of the old wood my grandfather had curing in his barn. I use it for cutting meats and it is probably one the most loved pieces in my kitchen.

I happen to like synthetic boards. I have two thicker ones for chopping, and a slew of the small ones for slicing and other purposes. I like synthetic because I periodically want to bleach my kitchen sinks. When I do that I dump the boards in as well. Everything gets washed, sanitized, rinsed. Oh, don't forget coffee and tea mugs with stains. And lids to plastic pitchers ... anything.

With respect to the longevity of woodenware,, I have and use several Munising chopping bowls and an 18 X 24 cutting / kneading board that have been in my family for the better part of one hundred years. Unfortunately, like many great American companies, they're out of business. You should not be disappointed If you can buy a second hand one that has been well cared for.

Back
Top Bottom