Another raw fish safety question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laorulez

Assistant Cook
I bought some refrigerated, fresh raw salmon fillet from the grocery on July 17th. The label on the package says it was packaged on July 17th. It says to use by July 24th. Is this right? I thought raw fish only lasted 2-3 days in the fridge, which I have read on several food safety websites. Thank you for your replies...

I am wondering if that fish was previously frozen and meant to be sold frozen. 7 days in the fridge is much longer than I would want to go with fresh salmon.

Whenever I purchase fish from the market (I buy only from a dedicated fishmonger) if I don't use it that day and don't plan to use it the next day, either, I freeze it asap.

Fish that was purchased on July 17th that is still in your fridge? I would not use it. Three days in the fridge is maximum.

Okay, okay. Well, I am going to use it, but not for consumption. I'm going to use it as fertilizer.

I assure you the fish is fresh and not previously frozen. I still would like to know why it has a use-by date that is 7 days after the packing date. I have read at other places that sometimes they will seal the meat into an airtight container and inject an inert gas to make it last longer. Could this be the case?

Could it just be mislabeled? What type of plastic is it sealed in? If it feels like your typical plastic wrap that you would find in most kitchens then I would doubt there was any inert gas injected as those plastics breath. If it is a heavy duty plastic then I suppose it is possible. I have seen that with meat. I am fortunate enough to live where fresh fish is readily available from a fish monger and my supermarket does not carry fish anymore so I never see it packaged.

Does it stink? is it discolored? Slimy? Decomposing?
I would think your nose would be telling you it isn't any good by now!

Personally, I would go ask the store where you bought it. Take it back, show them
the Use By date and get a refund.

I agree with GrillingFool. Seafood is WAY too expensive these days to just toss out if it's bad through no fault of your own.

If it doesn't smell or looked discolored your are probably fine. I would not use it for sushi but if it was for a good old fashioned fish fry ( or any other cooked dish) I am sure you would be fine.

Love ya'll

Linda Sue

We never buy "fresh" fish here... way too expensive. It means it had a lovely trip on someone's private jet... In order to get quality seafood where I live, we must buy frozen. It's quality is much better, and is much more economical. "fresh" fish that has been sitting in a refrigerated truck for several days, well, isn't "fresh." and most of our "fresh" fish has a label that says it was previously frozen.
Let us know what you did with it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom