Anthony Bourdain's Guide to Food Television

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotch

Head Chef
Here's a link to the article by Anthony Bourdain: CLICK ME

Some excerpts:

On Rachael Ray:

Rachael Ray now is a talk-show host. My wife watches her, I hate to admit it. She's America's little sister, because she's a likable person. I think people respond to her because of her personality and not her cooking, which is pretty ****ed awful. She's very nice, and I base this on no inside information: She's big now, like Oprah big; the sooner she stops cooking, the happier we'll both be.

On Semi-Homemade Cooking With Sandra Lee:

She makes her audience feel good about themselves. You watch her on that show and you think, "I can do that. That's not intimidating." All you have to do is waddle into the kitchen, open a can of crap and spread it on some other crap that you bought at the supermarket. And then you've done something really special. The most terrifying thing I've seen is her making a Kwanzaa cake. Watch that clip and tell me your eyeballs don't burst into flames. It's a war crime on television. You'll scream.

On Good Eats With Alton Brown:

It's an anomaly that his show is so informative. That's a pretty brainy show. I'm shocked that it's been on that long. Usually, anything remotely intelligent on the Food Network gets canceled. I don't know what happened, but he's on every other show on that network now. He legitimizes even their most atrocious product. He's kind of the front man for some of the various dubious enterprises. I think "Good Eats" is a good and smart show. His commentary on "Iron Chef" doesn't suck. You actually learn something! Of the Food Network personalities, he's a welcome anomaly.

The link isn't working for me.

The Kwanzaa cake is pretty bad. Lol--I thought she was really going to use acorns--wouldn't doubt it :rolleyes:.

So odd that he has so many nice things to say about Alton (although really, how can anyone really talk trash about him) considering how much he bashes everyone.

I still can't get over that he hammered Emeril (who has always taken the high road) because his rise to stardom would not have been easy without Emeril.

GuamDude - Bourdain actually apologized publically to Emeril - face to face - in his "New Orleans" episode.

But Emeril had nothing whatsoever to do with Bourdain's supposed "rise to stardom". You must be confused, because you're comparing apples to oranges.

I disagree and I'm pretty sure I'm not confused. Bourdain admitted in one of his books that he has benefitted from the exponential growth in food interest and popularity of the celebrity chef.

why would you assume that I am confused? I wasn't even trying to compare anything.

I disagree and I'm pretty sure I'm not confused. Bourdain admitted in one of his books that he has benefitted from the exponential growth in food interest and popularity of the celebrity chef.

why would you assume that I am confused? I wasn't even trying to compare anything.

I own copies of all of Bourdain's books (novels included - it's a good thing he didn't quit his day job :)), & while I don't have the time to go reread all of them to try to locate the quote you're referring to, I still believe that you're "confused" in that he made that remark specifically re: Emeril. I do recall him making a remark like that encompassing ALL celebrity chefs who came before him & blazed a media pathway, NOT just Emeril. And like I said, it's irrelevant anyway since he & Emeril have buried their hatchets.

Your comments seem so strong and persuasive and so compelling. If only they had anything to do with what I said in my very first post. /ignore

Gee - now I KNOW you're confused, since my comments were directly after & in response to what you "said in 'your' very first post". Good grief.

THANK YOU!!!

I mean, really. While I freely admit that I enjoy Bourdain's shows, I'm not his press agent or anything. Am just trying to set the record straight.

I love that he bashes Rachel Ray. My husband and I received one of her cookbooks for our wedding and I ended up regifting it. There wasn't a single recipe that sounded appetizing

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom