Any 2018 left in your pantry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookieee

Sous Chef
I still have around 6 or 7 items in my pantry marked 2018. It is our latest project to use them up. And then start on 2019, so we don't have to go through this next year.

How is your pantry doing?

Good grief, I have no idea Cookiee. We have a huge pantry in the garage, but somewhat out of date canned and dry goods don't hang me up much. I just use them and no problems so far. The one exception to that is I use dry beans before the expiration date..otherwise they may not ever soften up. This I know for sure.;)

[emoji38] No idea here, either. Most of my pantry turns over pretty quickly, so I'm not worried about it. As kleenex said, most dry goods will last much longer than a year or two.

We are pretty limited to space also. That is why we can't have things sitting around too long. I like to put the buy date on all items and line them up by that date. Of course certain things depending on what it is, can stay around a little bit longer, if it has to. lol

Pretty sure I have older things in the pantry than 2018....reminds me to check, though. :ermm::LOL:

Last night we had a can of Pidgin Peas from 2018. Never ate them before. Now I don't know if they were too old or that is the way they are suppose to taste. I didn't like them. Not willing to try them again to find out. lol

How come this post never shows up in the recent discussion section?

Another 2018 item will be hitting the dust. From June 2018. Found a bottle of capers. In checking my caper recipes, I found one for "Blue Crab Imperial". Posting the recipe on the Seafood thread. Sounds easy enough to make.

I'd eat them. Capers are pickled. As long as the seal is good, they're fine.

GG, you better believe we will eat them. DH just informed me that tomorrow night he wants to make "Picadillo" using our recipe that we started using back in 94'. Must have made it about 40 times so far. One of our favorite meals to have. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of capers.

GG, you better believe we will eat them. DH just informed me that tomorrow night he wants to make "Picadillo" using our recipe that we started using back in 94'. Must have made it about 40 times so far. One of our favorite meals to have. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of capers.
Oh, when you said they were hitting the dust, I thought you meant you were throwing them out! [emoji38] Picadillo sounds good. Such an interesting dish fused together from so many cultural influences.

Picadillo sounds good. Such an interesting dish fused together from so many cultural influences.

I don't know about that. All I know is that I got the recipe from a pamplet from Badia and the recipe is called "Ground Beef Cuban Creole Style." (Picadillo De Carne A La Criolla) I guess that is where the fusion comes from.

Picadillo is originally a Spanish dish. They brought the basic recipe to the Americas when they conquered Cuba and parts of South America and incorporated the tomatoes, potatoes and peppers they found. The olives and raisins were Spanish ingredients not available in the Americas till the Spanish brought them.

DH had a can of refried beans dated 8/18. He had some this morning on his breakfast pizza. He sure was happy they got discovered. lol You know the old saying "out of sight, out of mind"

We did use some capers the other night but not in the Picadillo. Found a recipe for hamburgers using capers and shallots chopped up in the meat. Pretty tasty.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of pre 2018 items in my pantry. Many I have vacuum sealed, in bags or jars, if I don't use them frequently, then just fill the upstairs jar, as needed. Some dried mushrooms, dried vegetables (tomatoes and eggplants, mostly), and a bunch of dried chiles (28, at last count), most from before 2018. Ones that I will be growing every year, I try to keep updated, but the older ones I keep until they are used up. I just gave about 2 qts each of dried chocolate habaneros and Thai peppers from 2018 to a friend's son, who has gotten into cooking a lot lately - I had at least 3 qts each from this year!

For canned/bottled goods, I don't have many pre 2018, except vinegars, and things like that, that won't really go bad (I think I bought an 8 pack of sherry vinegar at least 5 years ago, and it's still fine, when I opened the last one).

Dates? We don't need no stinkin' dates. :LOL: As far as I'm concerned, if the can lid isn't bubbled or the button on the car hasn't popped, it's all good.

I will qualify my statement to add that I do keep tabs on items made with flour (pasta, actual flour, crackers) since they will taste "off" if past date.

Dates? We don't need no stinkin' dates. :LOL: As far as I'm concerned, if the can lid isn't bubbled or the button on the car hasn't popped, it's all good.

I will qualify my statement to add that I do keep tabs on items made with flour (pasta, actual flour, crackers) since they will taste "off" if past date.

Uh huh... Its called common sense.. ;)

Ross

Yesterday, I found some chips scrunched way in the back. Expired 2017 but early 2017 - and though of this thread!

I don't know about everyone else, but we don't have that kind of money to have food just sitting around. We have to pay for everything. A lot of you are lucky to be able to grow a lot of your own food. And don't forget, we are short on space. lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom