Any recipe suggestions? (Pork loin medallions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
Okay, so on a whim and because I haven't done anything with pork for a while, I bought these pork loin medallions today. There are 4 of them (so assume two each), and they are just about 1 cm thick and very lean.

I would like to do something with them for dinner tomorrow - so marinading is an option (though I must add that it is the Eurovision Song Contest this evening, so I will have one eye on that, and another on the forum!)

Any simple ideas on what to do with these traditionally rather dry medallions? (I have a decent array of spices and dried herbs to hand.)

Attachments

• Pork Loin Medallions.jpg
    Pork Loin Medallions.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 5
Could you please expand on "brine" Jennyema? Or does this literally mean to just sit them in a bowl with salty water overnight?

Dust with seasoned flour. fry in a combination of butter and oil, finish with a little cold butter, lemon and capers.

Cut the slices into strips, marinate in chili powder, cumin, etc and fry with peppers and onions for a quick fajita in a warm flour tortilla.

Cut the slices into strips and season with soy sauce, chili paste, sesame oil, etc… and stir fry with vegetables, serve over rice.

Fry quickly, add a tablespoon or two of chopped onion and bottled barbecue sauce, serve on a roll for a quick sandwich.

The main thing is to cook them quickly so they don’t dry out.

Okay, so quick cooking is the main thing here due to the thinness and leanness.

Quite like Bea's idea of frying and using lemon and capers. Presumably some sort of "brining" overnight would also be useful?

Darn, I had to go back 10 years for this recipe. It's obviously way more than you need for your medallions, but can be cut down. If you don't want to use beer, use all water or some chicken stock or some white wine.

And cut down on cook time as the chops are a lot thicker.

I've also used all dark brown sugar and skipped the molasses.

Beer Brined Pork chops

2 cups water
2 cups dark lager beer (or your choice)
1/4 cup salt - I haven't been using as much salt last couple of times, maybe just over half of the 1/4 cup
3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons molasses
1 cup ice cubes
6 - 1 to 1-1/4" thick pork chops preferably bone-in, but we've also done w/o bone too

7 large garlic cloves, minced
3 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp salt
2 tsp dried sage leaves

Combine water, beer, 1/4 (or less) salt, sugar, and molasses in large bowl or bag. Stir/shake until sugar and salt are dissolved. Add ice. Add pork chops making sure they are covered. Refrigerate 4 hours turning occasionally.

Prepare barbeque. Remove pork chops from brine and pat dry.

This part is optional. They are good with or without this. Mix garlic, pepper, salt, and sage and rub in mixture over both sides of each chop.

Grill pork chops until instant read thermometer measures 145-150, about 10 minutes per side, moving to cooler spot occasionally if they start to burn. Transfer chops to platter, tent with foil, let stand for 5 mintues and serve.

Last edited:
Depending on your brine - I would not brine overnight. If they are super thin as you say, I would be worried they might turn to mush.
Loin is sort of tender on its own if not dried out during cooking. The object of brining is to prevent the drying out - not to tenderize. At least in this case.

I brine my boneless pork chops (aka loin chops) in a simple solution for minimum 20 minutes - maybe 1/2 hour.
In enough water to cover the meat, dissolve 1 Tbsp Kosher salt, 1 tsp. sugar. That should be good for your 4 chops. (or if you're not sure, double it but be sure to double the water)

Instead of brining -
Pound the meat into thin disc's for "poor man's Weiner Schnitzel" Season bread crumbs, dip meat in egg or milk, dip in crumbs - quick fry in butter. No need to brine for this quick fry.

Some lovely sounding ideas here - thanks so much guys.

So basically, it is the very quick cooking that is the most important part in keeping these thin steaks vaguely moist.

And the Eurovision Song Contest has finished. I won't spoil about the result in case any of you are likely to watch highlights! All I will say is that it is back to normal. :sneaky:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom